+15 strength bonus on a normal bugbear?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by xhan, Mar 9, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. xhan

xhan Member

Fightning the bugbears in the moathouse lvl2, my druid got one-shotted by a regular bugbear with a non-critical for 21 damage. So I was like WTF and checked the damage calculation details and it listed a strength damage bonus of +15 !

That would be something along the lines of 40 STR. x1,5 multiplier doesnt apply, he was wielding a 1-handed club.

Pretty unrealistic eh?

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Welcome to ToEE. The bugbear was probably a Raging Barbarian, and probably drank a potion of Bull's Strength, but still, +15 seems absurd for a one-handed weapon.

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Oh, and don't forget Power Attack. ;)

4. xhan

xhan Member

Power Attack doesnt increase the Strength Bonus, it has its own modifier (.. at least when my characters use it)

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

One other thought - just because his weapon was a one-hander and the animation is one handed doesn't neccessarily mean he didn't get the x1.5 modifier. If the off-hand is open, the game engine assumes two-handed use by any weapon that could be used two-handed (and a medium weapon used by a medium creature can.) Of course, all that means nothing if the bugbear used a shield...

6. xhan

xhan Member

Ah .. hmm .. then let's assume he had no shield and a dual-wieldable weapon. His normal STR bonus would then be +10, requiring an ability score of 30.

Yea, I guess that's possible even for a low-level bugbear with high base STR (which bugbears likely have), Barbarian Rage and a Bull Strength potion.

Thank god I have the overpowered feat "Save/Re-load" to make up for insane stuff like that :D

7. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Was the bugbear by any chance caught in an entanglement or web spell during the fight? There's an old bug that used to run on a script for creatures to roll str checks to attempt to break out of being entangled, that sometimes resulted in astronomical str boosts for creatures. This should've been fixed in previous versions of co8 mods, but I'm not certain.

iirc TOEE bugbears in the upper lvls do not have str exceeding 18 or 20, and even with bulls str pots and rage, they wouldn't hit 30, definitely not 40 str.

8. xhan

xhan Member

Yes, they were indeed entangled. My .. kinda unusual .. party has 3 druids, and I found a combo of Entangle and summoning lots of air elementals (who basically have innate free action) quite effective so far ;-)

EDIT: and im playing Co8 5.5

9. maalri

maalri Immortal

I am VERY sure I have witnessed this too once or twice WITHOUT entangle involved (as I don't use that tactic).

Love the Save/Reload Feat thing- that was Hilarious! Glad I take it every time too!

10. bobrickjones

bobrickjones Member

im relatively new to toee and i have been having trouble with the bugbears in the moathouse too! them and that darn ogre!!! ill keep trying though...

11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Entangle and web are your friends! Places some summons in front of you, then stand back and pepper with missile weapons. Beware the extra reach of the ogres.

12. xhan

xhan Member

bugbears also totally fail at understanding polearms .. I think I killed 10 of them trying to breach through my barrier of halberd-wielding rangers with combat reflexes just from AoO's ...

did I mention my party is kinda weird? 3 druids 2 rangers and a wizard .. we love trees!!

EDIT: since you said you were kinda new .. AoO = Attacks of Opportunity, which you get when someone tries to run past you (for example) .. just for clarification ;)

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

Charm Person is also very nice- turn some of THEM into your meat shields! Especially the enraged ones. As for the Ogre- don't put anything with low HP anywhere near him- use summoned creatures and your toughest fighter to surrond him and hit him hard and fast.

14. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

If you have an eye of flame cloak high charisma and intimidation.
    You can intimidate the ogre and have several funny conversations with him.

15. bobrickjones

bobrickjones Member

i actually did find that out but when i eventually tried to kill him...not so good!

Our Host!