081 Spugnoir's Dialog - the wizard

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Edwin P, Aug 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Edwin P

Edwin P Member

Here's simple addtion to Spugnoir's dialog (V1.0)

An PC with high charisma (+2 charisma bonus) can learn about Spugnoir's employer and a PC skilled in gather-information can learn the strengths and weaknesses of skeletons, zombies and ghouls. PCs that are more skilled in gather information will learn more than lesser skilled PCs.

PCs may even learn of treasure vaults rumored to be within the library of Delleb in Verbobonc and asking about the location of a Library will open up Verbobonc as a destination on the world map. This willl provide a target for thieves interested in cracking the vaults of Delleb.

Using one of the empty buildings in Verbobonc for a Library of Delleb; a two level dungeon with a first level library and a large second level vault map (as large as a level in the TOEE) that is a maze of chambers protected by puzzles and traps is on my to-do list after I master creating new NPCs and placing them on maps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{26}{Tell me about your sage.}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_gather_information)>=2}{850}{}
    {27}{What did you study while working for your sage?}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_gather_information)>=5}{800}{}

{800}{I focused my studies on the undead; skeletons, zombies and ghouls.}{I focused my studies on the undead; skeletons, zombies and ghouls.}{}{}{}{}
    {801}{What did you learn about skeletons?}{}{1}{}{810}{}
    {802}{What did you learn about zombies?}{}{1}{}{820}{}
    {803}{What did you learn about ghouls?}{}{1}{}{830}{}
    {805}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {806}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{810}{Skeletons are the animated bones of the dead. They are resistant to attacks from arrows and swords;however, weapons like maces easily shatter them.}{Skeletons are the animated bones of the dead. They are resistant to attacks from arrows and swords;however, weapons like maces easily shatter them.}{}{}{}{}
    {812}{What did you learn about zombies?}{}{1}{}{820}{}
    {814}{What did you learn about ghouls?}{}{1}{}{830}{}
    {815}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {816}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{820}{Zombies are reanimated corpses. They are resistant to attacks from arrows and bludgeoning weapons such as maces;however, swords easily slay them.}{Zombies reanimated corpses. They are resistant to attacks from arrows and bludgeoning weapons such as maces;however, swords easily slay them.}{}{}{}{}
    {821}{What did you learn about skeletons?}{}{1}{}{810}{}
    {823}{What did you learn about ghouls?}{}{1}{}{830}{}
    {824}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {825}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{830}{Ghouls are created from the death of a person that savored the tast of flesh. A cut from their claws can paralze you.}{Ghouls are created from the death of a person that savored the taste of flesh. A cut from their claws can paralyze you.}{}{}{}{}
    {831}{Tell me more about ghouls.}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_gather_information)>=7}{840}{}
    {832}{What did you learn about skeletons?}{}{1}{}{810}{}
    {833}{What did you learn about zombies?}{}{1}{}{820}{}
    {834}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {835}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{840}{The ghast is a more powerful ghoul distinguished by its foul and nauseating stench. More importantly, ghasts are smart and their touch can paralyze elves in addition to men.}{The ghast is a more powerful ghoul distinguished by its foul and nauseating stench. More importantly, ghasts are smart and their touch can paralyze elves in addition to men.}{}{}{}{}
    {841}{What did you learn about skeletons?}{}{1}{}{810}{}
    {842}{What did you learn about zombies?}{}{1}{}{820}{}
    {844}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {845}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{850}{My master is a sage of Delleb, and quite knowledgeable about creatures of darkness.}{My master is a sage of Delleb, and quite knowledgeable about creatures of darkness}{}{}{}{}
    {851}{Who is Delleb?}{}{1}{}{860}{}
    {854}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {855}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{860}{Delleb is the deity of knowledge and studies.}{Delleb is the deity of knowledge and studies.}{}{}{}{}
    {861}{Tell me more.}{}{1}{}{870}{}
    {864}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {865}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{870}{The clerics of Delleb are librarians and teachers. They are known by the black cloaks they wear and their white holy books.}{The clerics of Delleb are libarians and teachers. They are known by the black cloaks they wear and their white holy books.}{}{}{}{}
    {871}{More...}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_gather_information)>=6}{880}{}
    {874}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {875}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{880}{They are allies of Heironeous, Pelor and Saint Cuthbert and enemies of Hextor and Iuz.}{They are allies of Heironeous, Pelor and Saint Cuthbert and enemies of Hextor and Iuz.}{}{}{}{}
    {881}{More...}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_gather_information)>=8}{886}{}
    {884}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {885}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{886}{The vaults within the libraries of Delleb contain ancient books of knowledge and great treasures.}{The vaults within the libraries of Delleb contain ancient books of knowledge and great treasures.}{}{}{}{}
    {887}{More...}{}{1}{pc.skill_level_get(npc,skill_gather_information)>=10}{905}{}
    {888}{Where is the Library of Delleb?}{}{1}{}{910}{}
    {889}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {900}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{905}{The vaults are protected by magical traps and the Knights of the Book. These knights can sense evil, turn the undead to dust and heal people with a touch.}{The vaults are protected by magical traps and the Knights of the Book. These knights can sense evil, turn the undead to dust and heal people with a touch.}{}{}{}{}
    {906}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {907}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{910}{There is a Library of Delleb in the city of Verbobonc.}{There is a Library of Delleb in the city of Verbobonc.}{}{}{}{game.areas[14] = 1}
    {914}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {915}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

:thumbsup:

Your code is all looking pretty tight - nice job. A couple things to note:

1. Thanks to Sitra Achara's enabling of 32 bit NPC flags, we can now 'eliminate' dialog choices once their lines have been run. In this fashion, Spugnoir would no longer offer to tell you about skeletons/ghouls/et al (each individually) once he's already told you about them. Example:

Code:
    {800}{I focused my studies on the undead; skeletons, zombies and ghouls.}{I focused my studies on the undead; skeletons, zombies and ghouls.}{}{}{}{}
    {801}{What did you learn about skeletons?}{}{1}{[COLOR="Red"]not npc_get(npc,[COLOR="Blue"]1[/COLOR])[/COLOR]}{810}{[COLOR="red"]npc_set(npc,[COLOR="blue"]1[/COLOR])[/COLOR]}
    {802}{What did you learn about zombies?}{}{1}{[COLOR="red"]not npc_get(npc,[COLOR="Green"]2[/COLOR])[/COLOR])}{820}{[COLOR="red"]npc_set(npc,[COLOR="green"]2[/COLOR])[/COLOR]}
    {803}{What did you learn about ghouls?}{}{1}{[COLOR="red"]not npc_get(npc,[COLOR="Purple"]3[/COLOR])[/COLOR]}{830}{[COLOR="red"]npc_set(npc,[COLOR="purple"]3[/COLOR])[/COLOR]}
    {805}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {806}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

In order for this to work, you have to add this call to the top of Spugnoir's scripts file:

Code:
    from py00439script_daemon import *
    We can limit choices up to 32 times per dialog using this method.

2. The way all the major new content expansions are set up right now is based pretty strictly on story state. Verbobonc, for example, is set to become available with story state 5. Most all of the NC there is far too advanced for a low level party, so letting them go there around the time you'd most likely be talking to Spugnoir would probably result in their early and horrific deaths. So, we have to be careful about the NC delivery.

3. Edwin P

Edwin P Member

Thanks for the feedback and the information on the new scripting option.

------------------------------------------------------------

I will update this script to reflect this and also use it in the innkeepers dialog script I am working on (see below).

In the innkeeper script I am attempting to have the innkeeper vary his response on whether the moathouse has been cleared (lines 712 & 713) It's not working most likely because the quest (Moathouse Quest #72) was not triggered and I may try a trigger that activates if there is nothing on map (perhaps: game.areas[3] == 0)

Initial Draft (V.01)

{110}{I am looking for information.}{}{1}{}{700}{}

{700}{Well, Give me a mug of ale and we can talk.}{Well, Give me a mug of ale and we can talk.}{}{}{}{}
    {701}{Here's your ale, now let us talk.}{}{1}{anyone(pc.group_list(),"has_item",8004)}{710}{party_transfer_to(npc,8004)}
    {704}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {705}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{710}{[Drinking your ale] What do you want to know?}{[Drinking your ale] What do you want to know?}{}{}{}{}
    {711}{Are there any abandoned ruins around here?}{}{1}{}{750}{}
    {712}{Why so many guards in the village?}{}{1}{game.quests[72].state<>qs_completed}{730}{}
    {713}{Why so many guards in the village?}{}{1}{game.quests[72].state==qs_completed}{740}{}
    {714}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {715}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{730}{Caravan's have been attacked on the road and Lord Burne has hired new guards to protect the village.}{Caravan's have been attacked on the road and Lord Burne has hired new guards to protec the village.}{}{}{}{}
    {734}{K:}{}{1}{}{780}{}
    {735}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{740}{Since you cleared the moathouse of the bandits, I guess that Lord Burne is keeping the guards on in case the bandits return.}{Since you cleared the moathouse of the bandits, I guess that Lord Burne is keeping the guards on in case the bandits return.}{}{}{}{}
    {744}{K:}{}{1}{}{780}{}
    {745}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{750}{I don't know of any; however, The priests at the temple of Saint Cuthbert or the Lord Burne at the keep may know of some.}{I don't know of any; however, The priests at the temple of Saint Cuthbert or the Lord Burne at the keep may know of some.}{}{}{}{}
    {751}{K:}{}{1}{}{780}{}
    {752}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{780}{[Drinking your ale]What else do you want to know?}{[Drinking your ale]What else do you want to know?}{}{}{}{}
    {781}{Are there any abandoned ruins around here?}{}{1}{}{740}{}
    {782}{Why are there so many guards in the village?}{}{1}{}{730}{}
    {784}{K:}{}{1}{}{100}{}
    {785}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Gaear

It looks like you have an error in line 712 with the '<>' code. Instead try:

Code:
    {712}{Why so many guards in the village?}{}{1}{game.quests[72].state != qs_completed}{730}{}

which means it's not completed.

That said, the Moathouse quest, to the best of my knowledge, was not implemented across the board, so some players might not get it. Generally the Moathouse is considered 'cleared' when Lareth is dead, so the more common usage is to check for Lareth's death flag. (Look in the flags and variables sticky thread for all flag/var usage in the game and Co8 mod.) Lareth's death flag is 37, so you could use these codes instead:

Code:
    game.global_flags[37] == 1 *dead
    game.global_flags[37] == 0 *not dead
    You can also easily test quest conditions in-game by setting them via the console:

Code:
    game.quests[72].state = unknown/mentioned/accepted/completed/botched
    or

Code:
    game.quests[72].state = 1/2/3/4/5

5. Edwin P

Edwin P Member

V2.0 of my Spugnoir Dialog

This dialog (link here) allows PCs to use the gather information skill to;

1. Obtain background information on Spugnoir's master, a sage of Delleb.

2. Provides PCs with hints of a treasure that lies in the vaults of the Delleb Temple Libraries. PCs with a high skill in gather-information may also learn about what protects these vaults. This provides players with information about a possible future encounter area - Library of Delleb - and the Paladins that guard the library (the Knights of the Book).

3. Obtain information on how to combat skeletons, ghouls and zombies.

4. Learn that Spugnoir's master knows hows to slay the undead, demons and devils. This is a lead-in to a future NPC character that can instruct the PCs on how to fight powerful demonic outsiders on the material planes and outer-planes.

Note: I tried Sitra Achara's enabling of 32 bit NPC flags in this dialog and removed it as I wanted player's to have the option to return to Spugnoir and refresh their memory of what he said as his statements contains hints of on how to enter the Library of Delleb. I may edit the dialog later to remove specific lines based on the story state (i.e. no references to fighting skeletons, zombies and ghouls at story state >= 3).

What's next for Spugnoir? In about a month, my modds may have a Librarian (cleric) of Delleb and a Knight of the Book (his bodyguard) take up shop in the empty building to the northeast of the Welcome Wrench. This will likely happen when players reach story state 3. Thus Hommlet will evolve attracting new NPCs as the story line progresses.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

This is exciting, please keep us informed of your progress Edwin P. :)

7. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

This sounds great! i like this idea just as much as the inclusion of the ancient dragon lair.

While so many in the community worry about balance in completing ALL the content, i think adding content only makes this a more believable fantasy world and environment to adventure in. Having NEW experiences greatly enhances the mystery of that. You get a little more of that feeling "I never know what's just around the corner"...

a Library treasure vault, and enhancement of Spugnior sounds excellent! One of my favorite NPCs. Good luck!

8. Gaear

Added the material from post #5 to v7.2.

Our Host!