Co8 New Content: Arena of Heroes

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I would humbly suggest that perhaps the party's ALIGNMENT be given thought of. I simply HATE how TOEE is so "good centric" and perhaps the CHOICE of whether the party is evil or good be given thought. I loved the fact there is the Silver Sword of Chaos (although you cannot craft it past +1 as the bonus does not go up) or the Blade of Fury, but I would love to know how to make weapons that are silver, or other metals, for that matter.

But whatever it is, I had better be able to loot the loser.

2. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

I just completed the arena of heroes with the 5.9.0 mod. Simply put, it was fun. When I got the book of heroes, my party of 5 was close to leveling up to level 6 so I waited until they did - good thing.

The first two rounds were not too bad for my party. One thing to note here though, I used a single crossbow shot to draw one creature to me at a time. I'm probably defeating the desired effect by doing this though but I thought I should mention it. Perhaps something could be done like the 3rd round. The 3rd round was intense and I will refrain from any spoilers except to say that a few members of my party were dead before it was over so I'm going to reload and wait until they are stronger.

I pushed through however just to see what the prize was. I thought that it was good prize - nice to have but not an uber weapon. Still it is one that I will use the rest of the game (I'm not one who crafts).

Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun and a good addition to the game. I'm already looking forward to a rematch against the 3rd round.

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Not sure what others got for the prize, but I got a nifty shield item and it has been upgraded and used to the end.

The whole quest was fun and the final battle was a doozy if you are not prepared for what awaits you.

4. Horus

Horus Member

Stupid Question:

How do you open the box? I can't even locate it in my inventory. I am sure I am missing something here.

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong spot.

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Not sure I understand your question. Are you referring to the box that Brother Smythe asks you to open or the book to initiate this quest? The box is in front of his anvil, like a chest, and you need a character with points in open locks and maybe other enhancements to get it open. Once you get the book, just bring it down to 'use an item' and then have fun. :)

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Brother Smith has a chest (box?) that he wants you to open. It won't be in your inventory. It does not contain the "prize" from winning the Arena of Heroes, just the "ticket". Perhaps you meant something else.

7. Horus

Horus Member

I missed the chest next to the anvil. Ugh! Told you it was a stupid question.

Thanks guys!

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hah hah ... THATS where I got the book.

I was killing myself trying to remember where I got it from.

Darn "Loot All"

9. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

rumours of my demise have been greatly enhanced ..anyways awesome job with the mod currently playing thru 5.91 NC beta and have encountered "brother smythe and the unopened chest of doom..." as i call it or the BUG where if you open the chest for our favourite NC provider but do not read the book and go to the arena you will keep getting some variant on "hey how bout taking care of that chest.." everytime you hit the "something different" response option

other than that everything looks awesome.. Im hoping to see something done with the under construction castle.. any plans for a high lvl thing where its completed and theres some sort of epic battle?

10. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Bradwinri
    Did you by chance use an "Open/Close" spell after your Rogue picked the lock ? If so that is the source of your trouble, and you might as well reload an earlier save and play through it again. In order to "complete the quest" your rogue must pick the lock (if you are having trouble picking the lock you can buy "Lockslip Grease" (+1 to your open locks skill) at the trading post, and "Masterwork Thieves Picks" (+2 to your Open Locks skill) at the Boatman's Tavern in Nulb. Other things you can try are the Zero level spell "Guidance" (+1 to your next skill check), the 3rd Level Cleric Spell "Prayer" (+1 to all skill checks) among others.
    After picking the lock your rogue must PHYSICALLY open the chest to get the dialogue from Brother Smyth to get the Book, etc.... .
    The Royal Canadian

11. mmonagle

mmonagle Established Member

About the chest, I have not had problems with getting it open. However, there is something unique about it that I have to do when I go to open it: I 'search' for any traps twice. After I do the initial search and find one, I disable it. Then I have to search again and disable a second trap. Once I do that, I am able to pick and open the chest. I wanted to see if anyone else is doing this.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well I am able to open the chest without having to search or remove any traps. I may be wrong but I think the message about any traps on Smyth's chest are false positive. It tells you there is a trap but there actually is none.

13. bradrinwi

i had no trouble fining traps no problem opening the chest(The ol fashioned way with thieves picks non of this new fangled magic stuff LOL:) and no trouble of any kind i merely seem to get "stuck with te same response to "something different" Until I use the book of heros and let it Take me un interrupted to the areana AT that point it seems to trip the completed flag internally and allows brother smythe.. to finallyforget about the flipping chest..

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

In order to progress to the next installment of new content, you have to talk to the contact Brother Smyth puts you in touch with for whichever current NC you're involved with. In the case of the AoH, that's the master of the arena. You can't talk to the MotA until you use the book and go to the arena. It used to be that Smyth would just say nothing until you did so and opened up the next NC delivery, but some people found that confusing. Now he reminds you to deal with the issue at hand before you can move on.

I guess maybe we could change it to something more generic so it doesn't seem like he always wants you to open an already open chest. I'm curious why you would open the chest and get the book, but then not read the book though.

15. bradrinwi

well i'd been absent for quiet a while and was just exploring.. .. playing it striaght tghe chest seemed like the next thing to do before doing nulb and giants head etc...... and when the book started"giving a disoriented feeling and it kept asking are you going to ignore the warning signs i tried caution.. at least until i had better than 4th lvl chars..

hmmm ive played through te first 4 stages several times now with 5.91 and 5.92

ive been offered the chest before even venturing to nulb everytime...
    I noticed you have this listed as midlevel /happens after you started nulb..

but for me that hasnt been ture usually it's right after or durring moathouse
    ill try to keep a record of the exact event triggers that occur and a tmeline..relative to progression..

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
Our Host!