5.8.0 NC Beta: ToeE Crashes on start

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by kutte128, May 1, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. kutte128

kutte128 Member

[Solved] 5.8.0 NC Beta: ToeE Crashes on start

Hi there,

i tried to start with the new 5.8.0 NC Beta mod, but ToeE crashes with an typical M$ error message "ToeE encountered an Error" <- translated by me :)
    "ToeE hat ein Problem festgestellt" is the original one.
    sorry my english isn't that good.

I played 5.5.0 and it worked nice, even the Vanilla worked but no luck with 5.8.0, with and without no-cd-crack.

I deleted the old installation and tried with a fresh install but it's the same again.
    I'm using XP SP3 with newest dx9c & Nvidia-Drivers, CPU: AMD64 Dualcore, 2GB Ram
    20GB of free space.

TFE-X works just nice.

Any tips how to get it running?

sincerely,
    kutte128

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. EdCon

EdCon Member

It could be many different things. For me, though, when that exact series of events (5.0 fine, then later ones broken) happened it was due to ms .net framework: often times versions other than 2.0 would cause toee to crash on startup.

It is possible to uninstall your .net framework using control panels->add/remove programs, then restart, then install version 2.0 (downloadable from microsoft through google searching) then restart then retry.

Or you could try deactivating the mod (by activating the base game or another version in the front end), waiting for it to finish, then reactivating the mod (waiting each time).

Or perhaps your cd drive needs the no cd crack (no direct linking here, just search for a 20-30k sized no cd hack in google).

Or you could try a clean wipe and reinstall everything.

Any of these, and sometimes none, have solved that problem for me before. ToEE is a great game with huge potential for ctd bugs :)

-EdCon

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

1. NEVER run the TOEE executable directly, use the TFE-X frontend to lunch the game.. I get a crash every time I exist the game if I run it directly instead of via the TFE-X

2. I find that the game crashes if I have it on the default resultion of 800x600.. I need to edit the toee.cfg file to a higher resolution for it to run without crashing (but not too high... or it crashes :p)
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5629

3. Always use the no-cd if you use windows vista, windows 7, or any 64bit version of windows... it solves some crashes and issues.
    However, you are using windows XP, in which case see #4

4. Make sure to install and update the latest .net... directX and video drivers. MS has confusing naming for directX, they have been updating it every 3 months for the past 4 years or so, and releasing it as "DirectX 9.0c (Month Year)" until very recently... now just "direct X redistributable (month year)".... The thing is, that includes updated files for directX 9.0c, as well as updates for DX10 and DX11... (check the file lists)
    example file names that I found in "DirectX 9.0c (February 2010)":
    Aug2009_d3dx9_42_x64 - updates to DX9 made on august of 2009
    Aug2009_d3dx10_42_x64 - updates to DX10 made on august 2009
    Aug2009_d3dx11_42_x64 - updates to DX11 made on august 2009
    Feb2010_X3DAudio_x64 - updates DX audio in feb 2010.
    Feb2010_XACT_x64 - i think its also audio, not sure
    Feb2010_XAudio_x64 - more audio updates in feb 2010.

(there is also a file ending with x86 for every one ending in x64 and vice versa; as well as files I have not listed)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=0cef8180-e94a-4f56-b157-5ab8109cb4f5

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. kutte128

kutte128 Member

Hi there,

i solved the problem.
    it was my firewall!
    the first thing i tried was to disable the firewall and threw it from autostart, but it seems that it installed a windows-service or something wich hindered toee (of course started out of TFE-X) to start.
    after uninstalling the firewall completely it runs fine with 5.8.0.

i also have the crash after exiting the game starting from tfe-x, but since only toee crashes instead of xp its not that bad.

sincerely,
    kutte128

btw: thanks for this great mod!

5. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

wait.. you mean windows was crashing not TOEE?
    what firewall are you using?

6. kutte128

kutte128 Member

no no, only ToEE crashes/crashed on exit. even without any firewall. This happened with all versions of ToEE, even Vanilla.
    sorry if this was ambiguous.
    It is the same error mentioned in the first post.
    I think that problem existed even on my old Windows 98

I'm using latest comodo internet security and had never any problems with

sincerely,
    kutte128

Our Host!