Homlet is very very bugged

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, Apr 26, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I didn't ask them to work 24/7 to get the game the way I want it to be, in fact I didn't ask them to work on it at all? I went ahead and created and posted a mod myself that does what I suggested.

thanks, I have noticed that the jerkstop movement goes away if i leave homlet and come back.
    I had a feeling my very rough guesses were wrong, after all, they were total stabs in the dark of anything I could think was even possibly remotely related. Its good to hear you guys already figured it out.

there is a second issue of a permanent freeze of hommelt that I encounter though, have you seen that one before? That one is specific only to homlet (or if it can happen everywhere, only happens to me in homlet since its the only place I do enough of faffing about)

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Jerkstop is also common in the nodes iirc. Definitely not unique to Omlet. In general, thus far you just have to live with it.

I'm not sure if your permanent freeze issue is same as what I've experienced before, but for me it usually coexists with the jerkstop. Although, I don't usually get the privilege of a workaround, and the game stops for good and PC requires a restart. I haven't seen much of this bug in the later releases, only in the Fire node actually.

3. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I have occasionally had the game freeze with all the characters in a fighting pose.
    The one you see npcs in before your pcs are close enough to see them.
    I've usually just abandoned that save.

My theory and it's probably wrong is the more crafted items you have the less stable your game is.

Having the silver sword of chaos always seemed to make my games less stable.
    Crafting multiple items in one go at the later stages of the game sometimes gives me a ctd.

If pc holding a crafted item is used to exit the temple or the wlecome wench will sometimes cause the game to crash.

You can get around it by not using that character to exit maps or get rid of the item if you can find it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Good call, Hugh. I have not crafted anything my last few games and have never seen this.

For the record, the Merchant's Scale is done (thanks Maggit for the artwork) and will appear at some point in the future. It will stack with the glasses - unavoidable - so no cheating.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Jerkstop and 'lag' (as in "the nodes lag horribly") are not the same thing. Jerkstop manifests as slow, jerky character movement, punctuated by occasional 'combat-pose' freezes, while lag is typically seen in the nodes, temple level 4, and the fire temple on 2 and is manifested as slow screen movement (not jerky heartbeat-related movement, just slow) and non-combat-pose freezes.

Interesting on the crafting. We should poll to see if jerkstop sufferers are crafters. Still, proto errors usually result in regular old crashes, while jerkstop seems to be related to sector-data problems. :errf:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  6. taltamir

Its not that kind of freeze.
    I can use the map to travel away from homlet and still finish the game, but if I go to homlet ALL animation within homlet is frozen, nobody moves, commands I give (such as move commands) are ignored, etc... homlet is perpetually frozen, but the game still plays.

This is what happened to me the last three games. This is what the major focus of this thread was, the jerkstop? thats meh, I can live with jerkstop... just go away and come back and its gone.

oooh, I craft VERY heavily and the temple gives my crashes quite often while the inn gives me homlet freeze... And yes what you described is the freeze I was talking about.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  7. taltamir

I just had a homlet total freeze.
    I saved it frozen (remember, the game still works, and I can use the map to go elsewhere and it will work fine, just homlet is broken).

I am attaching the frozen homlet save, and the save just before it (labeled 089)

In 089 I am in burne's tower with enough XP to level. I leveled to level 10. For a feat I took Quicken Spell. For spells I took mordenkeinen faithful hound and eagle splendor (level 2 spell, for crafting). Rolled 3 out of 4 on HP, so I am now at 63.

Crafted Cloak of Resistance +3, bracers of armor +5, ioun stones: +STR, +WIS, +CHA, +Deflection, circlet of persuasion, cloak of charisma +6.
    And upgraded by bow with icy burst and +3.
    Then I left the tower, used the world map to travel closer to inn, entered the inn. Rested 8 hours. Realized I didn't select new spells to prepare in my new slots, added some spells to my slots. Rest 8 hours again and again until I was at max health (hit R, click rest, repeat).
    Left the inn, and homlet was frozen.

EDIT: size exceeded for filetype for the forum to host it. I am sharing it via google:
    EDIT2: Deleted this file as it was missing some of the essential files for the same. I have posted the correct files in post #29 on this thread.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. Mortificator

Mortificator Member

I encountered this exact same type of Hommlet freeze several times in 5.7.2, so it's not something new to 5.8, though I don't know if the likelihood if this problem cropping up has changed. I also discovered that it's possible to travel to other locations with the world map while you party's frozen... or to fast travel between north/south/east Hommlet, but your party will still be playing red light when you come out of the map. I never saved after the freeze bug, and after loading the previous save I'd be able to continue without it happening, though once it happened a few times in a row before I could continue.

In my totally subjective experience, the bug seemed more likely if I used spells in Homlett or sold a lot of junk, but correlation of course doesn't imply causation.

9. taltamir

mmm... yea selling a lot of stuff to brother smyth, especially by dragging it to individual boxes after he starts saying inventory full, tends to have reprecussions... such as crashing when entering the temple / opening trade with the guy in the temple who raises donations (i crash often after unload lots, never if I don't)

But it could be conjecture, for all we know its completely unrelated and i am just thinking they are related because it happened to me by conincidence.

10. Gaear

Okay, I had a look at your saves. Save 090 seems to be the one where you are in the tower. I reproduced all your steps to the letter with this save, and had no jerkstop, ultimately, when exiting the inn.

However, there is an oddity: your save 089 is corrupt in my game. That may not seem helpful, but it may actually tell us that jerkstop is a save game issue and not a map/sectoring/lighting/whatever else issue.

Thanks, taltamir. :)

11. taltamir

glad I could help.

wait, so the thing where they are completely frozen, that is jerkstop? so what is it when they stutter but still move? I thought the two were completely different and unrelated bugs.

btw, it is save 89 where I am at the tower. save 90 is where my guys are frozen outside of homlet inn and cannot move at all / ignore all commands in homlet. (I can use world map to travel around).

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Jerkstop is when you give a movement command and it terminates prematurely. You click on the map, the blue discs appear, and the movements starts. But before they get to the blue discs, the discs disappear and movement halts. This is all done at regular speed, no slowing.

The complete freeze on map entry seems to be a different phenomenom, but showed up at the same time, mod-development-wise. They showed up a few years ago, early in the 5.xx level.

They usually don't show up until your party is around 5th level or so.

13. Gaear

In my saves list, it is definitely 090 that works and has your guy in the tower. 089 doesn't work or display anything at all, so I don't know where it's supposed to be. Save 089 is stamped 4/28, 01:36, save 090 is stamped 4/28, 01:40.

14. taltamir

I think I accidently mixed up some files... you see, I name my saves ###, and the slots seem to have been off by one... so it is slot 089 containing a save named 090.
    Anyways, looking at it I have included the gsi file of slot088 but not the other 5 files.
    All 6 files for slot089
    And all files except the .gsi (5 files) for slot 090

Sorry, my bad. Here are the right files:
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5cEvOA-L4zcZjdhYjk0ZDMtZDE2Ny00Y2I3LWFkMWQtYjMzMDI0ZTg5NzBj&hl=en

If you open them in the game, slot089 is called simply: 090
    while slot090 is called: Frozen Homlet

slot089 is where I am at the tower, slot 090 is where homlet is completely frozen. Sorry about the mixup from before.

PS. I am using the following custom mod in that particular save (I wasn't in the previous cases where I had homlet freeze)
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=95548#post95548

It is a very simple mod where where I altered the glasses to work from inventory

That is what I thought... I mixed up the files in the save I posted which resulted in some miscommunication between me and Gaear. Thanks for clarifying that things are as I thought they were.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  15. Gaear

@GA, are you saying that jerkstop never features any jerky screen movement, just characters not completing their routes? I thought a severe system slowdown was at the heart of jerkstop, which is what made it eventually unplayable. That is what Ag has spoken to all along, at any rate. Other symptoms are brightly burning lights and an abundance of sparklies. And I believe that combat-freeze-poses have been thought to be part and parcel of it all as well (i.e. another symptom).

These things are all directly related to sector data, specifically a "fatal sector memory leak."

Our Host!