Just got the game, confused on how to install it

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by slickrcbd, Apr 16, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. slickrcbd

slickrcbd Member

I just got the game for the first time. The only working computer I have that meets the specs is running Vista 64.

I've managed to get the game installed and installed the first two patches and a no-cd crack.

However, the text displayed in the game is EXTREMELY small. It's not even that big when I set the game to 800x600, let alone 1200x1024 or 1200x960. How do I fix this problem?

It has been suggested that I install the Circle of Eight mod to fix various bugs, but browsing this form seems to imply that if I do that, I won't be able to experience the original game, only the Co8 expansion. I've never played either the P&P or the cRPG before. Should I hold off on installing the Co8 mod?

I've been reading about this "loot bug", what should I do if I skip installing Circle of Eight?

Another thing, I had a hard time getting it to run, and when I exit I get a message that
    "ToEE.exe has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close this program"

I then have to play with alt-tab to be able to do so. I have the game set to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode with administrative privileges. I didn't find anything else I needed to check on the compatibility tab. Any suggestions for Pista?

Please bear in mind that I haven't experienced much beyond the tutorial and this is my first experience with ToEE. I'm also unfamiliar with much of the terminology for the game if it wasn't part of 2nd edition D&D or the Bioware D&D games.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

How small are we talking? Maybe has something to do with your monitor, but I can't say I've experienced sth like that. Have screenshots?

While Co8 adds some new stuff, it's not an "expansion" per se, more like some fun extra content, and some restoration of things lost in development. 5.7.0 returned the game to a near-vanilla experience, and starting 5.8.0 it will separate between the unofficial patch and the extra content mod. So I can't say you're losing anything by installing. I would suggest to wait a week or so, though, since a new release is coming.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can install the Co8 mod and still play the vanilla game if you like (assuming vanilla will even launch on your system). The Co8 mod features a front end utility that allows you to play different 'modules' in ToEE. This utilizes the framework that the game was originally built on anyway. (Troika designed the engine to play different modules, perhaps in the vain hope that they would make others some day.)

If vanilla launches, you'll need to install Atari patch 3 overtop to address the loot bug. If you play any Co8 mod, do not install Atari 3, as it is not compatible with Co8 and all Co8 patches fix the loot bug anyway.

Alternatively you could play Co8 3.0.4, available in the Downloads forum, which features very little new content but does still fix the looting bug.

Don't worry about the 'stopped working' error message; it happens, but it has no bearing on anything.

4. slickrcbd

slickrcbd Member

Our Host!