What Constitutes "Beating the Game"?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Torrato, Mar 4, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Torrato

Torrato Savage Merc

What Constitutes "Beating the Game"?

I was talking with a buddy who said he had beaten the game with a solo 4th level rouge. I asked how is that. He said he got the Ring of Invisibility from Furnok. Sneaked by everybody killed Larith. Sneaked through the Ambush Tower to the secret door, Sneaked by Wizard got the skull, which opened door to Zuggy and then swiped the jewels, game over.

I protested, "You may have gotten to the end credits, but you did not beat the game."

Any opinions on what it really takes to be considered victorious?

Beat, as in kill, zuggy, or zuggy + balor, or zuggy + nodes, etc.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

In order to beat the game, you need to be max level for every character, kill all enemies in the game as well as more than a few not evil ones for extra experience, craft all weapons to +3 with 5 or 6 special abilities each, deck each character out with appropriate wonderous items, wands, scrolls and armor, and be able to absolutely murder Zuggtmoy and the failor in 1 round and have roughly 150,000 platinum pieces at the end of the game.

This is quite easily doable in 5.5 with all the extra content as well as the war of the golden skull.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Your buddy's 'beating' the game is similar to not playing the game. he point isn't to win, but to play. Kind of like life. ;)

4. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

I think that "beat" the game it's an absolutly question of point of view. I have beated the game in a similar way of yer buddy, but with a point- buy cleric level 2, talking to Hedrak in the 4th level of the temple, and becoming a member of the Zuggy forces. 12 minutes of play to the end credits. It is possible, of course, and there are some fun on this.
    But, obviously, this is possible for someone that have already "beated" the game in a more "normal" way and know all the possibilities of play.
    For me, "beating" the game it's to go against Zuggy, by destroying the skull or finishing Zuggy in person, after at least a battle against Hedrack. This will problably make ya to understand exactly against what are ya fighting. This is nice. Like the pnp adventure itself, just without the other players, he!
    Of couse, to survive the fight with Hedrack, ya will need a well balanced party with some levels... so, ya need to do a lot of another things to acquire levels and go to the end of the game... Basicly, ya need to play the game to beat it, simple as that!

5. nuggets

nuggets FLAVOR FLAV

Dude like, i thought that to beat the game you either had to
    1.) join hedrak and the greater temple thing.
    2.) kill zugtmoy.
    3.) or like, whenever you fighting zugtmoy, when she wants to surrender let her be yo slave.
    i could be missing one, and i could be wrong. peace.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We had this discussion before regarding a speed run through the game. I think your friend's achievement is valid - he got to the credits, so he beat it - but I see very little point (or fun) in it.

7. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I'm currently playing the third S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.
    Somebody claimed he "beat the game" in 3 hours.
    He did this by ignoring any of the side quests and all the detail the developers put in to make it a fantastic experience.
    For this dubious honour he paid about $30.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

A speedrun is a speedrun. It's a completely valid way to play a game. I must also add that he probably wasted time with the skull, since the ending screen can just as well be reached w/o ever meeting Zuggy, just join with the forces of evil in the Great Temple. I'm not entirely sure if it's faster, though.

One thing that the speedrun exposes, though, is the invisibility-ring exploit that hopefully will be fixed in the future, because, frankly, I don't think Furnok should be willing to part with his treasured ring so easily.

9. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

I actually have a big appreciation for speed runs, solo runs and stealth runs when it comes to party-oriented games - it can be exceedingly fun to try to solve problems with lateral thinking, as well as allowing you to notice exploits and imbalances in encounters more readily.

Some RPGs have some really funky rogue-only content, but theres almost never enough available.

I remember back when i used to play WoW stealth running blackrock depths for the (then) powerful barman shanker dagger was heaps of fun.

DDO also has some interesting rogue oriented content - quests where you arent allowed to kill over a certain number of monsters.

This kind of self-created encounter/challenge, is actually often indicative of a lacking area of content comparable to a mechanic, such as stealth/solo play. I have almost never used stealth in ToEE at all to any real extent, as there never seemed much of a reason to do so...

What kind of stealth/solo content is currently in game?

10. GuardianAngel82

DDO - "Stealthy Repossession"

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its all been reserved for KotB :cool:

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well you have to use stealth to catch Corl planting hemlock in Black Jay's field, because aside from guard dogs, only a stealthy, cagey, intuitive hawkshaw can detect ... oh wait. :blush:

13. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I think initially, Furnok didn't know that he had a magic ring of invisibility. If he did, he certainly wouldn't need a party of PCs to make ends meat. Furnok also made money by hustling nicked cards with trading routes. the winning odds are in the actual TOEE Module. The sister of the whore (Serena?) also has an invisibility ring but didn't know it's value.

Anyone who plays TOEE now, is omniscient. We all know most of the scenarios before they happen (though i learn great stuff here on the blog all the time).

I like in some of the DND modules limited invisibility spells (rings that last 30 minutes a day) or whatever. its good to have stuff like that because total invisibility is really an extremely powerful spell.

I think most girls gyms would never be safe if i had that ability when i was younger. maybe still, heh heh.

14. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

OP, I am actually going to go with your buddy on this one...
    It isn't how I would have done it, but what he has done is "realistically" roleplay a "sneaky thief" that works alone...

he didn't single handedly slaughter everything and everyone... he didn't pick a fight with gods only to be bailed out by another (or actually defeat some divine avatars)... he didn't power level and gain massive wealth...

but he was the ultimate theif, he snuck, he stole, he escaped with the loot. He beat the game... just in a very non standard manner. (one which I would not do myself)

15. GuardianAngel82

Somewhere, in an old post, I mentioned a similar approach. But I said it was the fastest or shortest way to the end the game, or some such.

'Beating' a game seems to involve missing the point of playing the game, as if the game were now 'done'. But really, a game can be played any way you want.

Our Host!