Dungeons & Dragons leads to gang activity...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Jan 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Ya. So, I came across this in the Duluth News Tribune today. I almost think that our newspaper is turning into the Enquirer. Playing D&D has always been known as THE vehicle to organize criminal gangs. :roll:

Whenever I play ToEE, I throw my gang sign constantly, which is the Sign Of The Horns. :rock:

After I beat Zuggtmoy tonight, me and my home skillets are going to go pop a liquor store, lite up a couple houses with drive-bys and then go kick it back at the crib with some ho's, bishes.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/158498/group/home/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. maalri

maalri Immortal

LOL- It astounds me how many TRUE IDIOTS are in the Media.

That can NOT be based on any facts or sound findings, it is inflamatory for sensationalism only. Utter stupidity and dangerous too. :(

3. Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965 Member

Roflcakes. I remember reading up on something similar to that a couple years ago. The media likes to take stabs at dnd every so often. I think it's been called a cult a few times, as well. (although I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few people out there into dnd enough to start a cult... >.> sadly the community of geeks does have a few nuts that fall far enough away from the tree to land somewhere in the North Atlantic)

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

They don't dare mention the Chess Crips. Not since Big Blue jined. Might get all ROOKED up 'n sxxt! Gnome sane? :evilgrin:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Necroticpus

Saving the article because the link no longer connects to the story...

Game over: Wisconsin inmate can’t play Dungeons & Dragons

MADISON — A man serving life in prison for first-degree intentional homicide lost his legal battle Monday to play Dungeons & Dragons behind bars.

Kevin T. Singer filed a federal lawsuit against officials at Wisconsin’s Waupun prison, arguing that a policy banning all Dungeons & Dragons material violated his free speech and due process rights.

Prison officials instigated the Dungeons & Dragons ban among concerns that playing the game promoted gang-related activity and was a threat to security. Singer challenged the ban but the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday upheld it as a reasonable policy.

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures, often working together as a group, with the help of complicated rules.

Singer, 33, has been a devoted player of the fantasy role-playing game since he was a child, according to the court ruling. After the ban went into effect, prison officials confiscated dozens of Dungeons & Dragons books and magazines in his cell as well as a 96-page manuscript he had written detailing a potential scenario for the game that players could act out.

Prison officials enacted the ban in 2004 after an inmate sent an anonymous letter expressing concern about Singer and three other inmates forming a “gang” focused around playing the game.

Singer was told by prison officials that he could not keep the materials because Dungeons & Dragons “promotes fantasy role playing, competitive hostility, violence, addictive escape behaviors and possible gambling,” according to the ruling. The prison later developed a more comprehensive policy against all types of fantasy games, the court said.

The appeals court said the prison’s policy was reasonable and did not violate Singer’s rights.

“After all, punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment, and prisons may choose to punish inmates by preventing them from participating in some of their favorite recreations,” the court said.

Singer was sentenced to life in prison in 2002 after being found guilty of first-degree intentional homicide in the killing of his sister’s boyfriend. The man was bludgeoned to death with a sledgehammer.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Thanks for posting the story.

So people who engage in violent behavior may engage in violent behavior after playing D&D? That seems logical.

Of course, the headline on that article probably didn't reflect anything factual. "D&D Causes Murder!"

7. Necroticpus

D&D creates gang activity, cartoons are responsible for kids murdering people.

Was it Falwell or Graham that said that the Teletubbies are homosexual, the cause of kids becoming homosexual?

This must be america. It's always somebody else's fault because we normal americans are perfect unless exposed to these insidious stimuli.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I remember once when I was in the Army, and a bunch of us were playing AD&D one Sunday night (the module might have been ToEE come to think of it), when someone started pounding on my door. It was the devout Baptist from the room next door. He said "Roy, you and your friends need to see this." We all filed into his room, where "60 Minutes" was just starting an "Expose" on how playing D&D had led 2 or 3 boys (I think the oldest was 15 or 16) into committing suicide. After the piece was over, James (the one who knocked on my door) looked at me and said "I don't know anything about the game and have no intention on learning it, but this story is total bu****it. If those kids hadn't committed suicide "over" the game, they would have found something else to kill themselves over. You guys sound like you were having a lot of fun, and don't seem suicidal to me."
    The Royal Canadian

9. Necroticpus

"Singer was told by prison officials that he could not keep the materials because Dungeons & Dragons “promotes fantasy role playing, competitive hostility, violence, addictive escape behaviors and possible gambling,” according to the ruling. The prison later developed a more comprehensive policy against all types of fantasy games, the court said."

This sounds much like my relationship with my kid's ex-mother before the last breakup, lol.

And everyone knows that role playing means having your wife/girlfriend dress up as Wonder Woman, tie you up with the golden lariat and force you to tell the truth.

Singer was sentenced to life in prison in 2002 after being found guilty of first-degree intentional homicide in the killing of his sister’s boyfriend. The man was bludgeoned to death with a sledgehammer.

I've often fantasized about this, thinking that I'm an ogre and bashing the !@#$ out of street hoods with my maul (sledgehammer).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  10. Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965 Member

Yeah, people always have to find some simple purpose behind everything because they're too damn lazy to look into the real problem or accept that they might be to blame, or even the simple fact that the suicide might have simply been unpreventable. Perhaps he had a chemical imbalance or a permanent psychological problem that lead to it. Who knows? Obviously nobody that anyone else gives a damn about since the story went on with it being the fault of DnD.

>.> I hate people...

11. mooses

mooses Member

D&D possibly leading to gang activity... King Kickass is amused

Attached Files:

Our Host!