Game not starting...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zovc, Jan 3, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zovc

Zovc Member

When I double click my (nocd cracked) ToEE.exe, I see [ToEE.exe] show up in the taskbar, then immediately vanish.

I installed the game and the co8 mod properly with the front end. Even if I use the front end to try and 'play' the game, nothing really happens.

I skipped patch 1, but from what I understand that's fine so long as patch 2 lets me use it.

2. Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965 Member

You might try getting patch one, anyway. Some people have issues when they skip over 1 and go straight for 2. Normally, it's fine, but some people get unlucky.

3. Zovc

Zovc Member

That didn't do the trick. : /

4. Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965 Member

Hm...it might come down to uninstallling/reinstalling, but I'd imagine you'd rather explore other options, first.

First off, I would try finding a new no-cd crack. It's a little hard to find, but google can help you. Make sure the no cd crack that you download is for the V2 Patch (wherever you download it from should mention that it is) and make sure that it is 16 - 17 KB when it's compressed (likely in a .rar file) and about 33 kb uncompressed. This will tell if there's any issues with your no cd crack. (you might have the wrong version or simply a bad exe)

Next, the standard routine maintenance stuff may very well help (it's usually not the standard stuff in problems like this, but unchecked maintenance over long enough periods of time can cause some rather...odd...side effects, also it' just good to run this stuff, anyway). These include:

1. Error Checking (through the windows tool or another, if you have one)
    2. Clean out temporary files (windows has disk cleanup, but you can find Ccleaner on ccleaner.com (yes, there's two c's) it's a wonderful tool for cleaning out junk on your computer. Just keep in mind, if you want to keep your saved passwords in your internet browser, uncheck any boxes that say saved form history or autocomplete form history, or the like)
    3. Defragmentation (using windows defrag, or another tool, if you have one)

The last thing I can think of is to disable your antivirus, if any. It may be detecting the no cd crack as a virus and blocking it from running. Some antivirus programs like to block things silently from time to time, even if you have them set to notify you. They can be annoying like that. AVG, Norton and Mcaffee are notorious for getting in the way of gamers, but there's others out there.

5. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Matbe a screen resolution problem. Try using the fix suggested in the sticky on widesreens.

6. Zovc

Zovc Member

Doesn't the widescreen fix require you run ToEE.exe and get a 'toee.cfg' file, or whatever?

I already reinstalled the game, making sure to do everything in the proper order.

No, this isn't some spyware/malware issue or something silly that can be fixed with a defrag. This is an extremely fresh installation of Windows XP, and I'm not using virus protection.

7. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

not using virus protection and hunting down no cd cracks at the same time could be quite a bad idea mate! :eek: honestly. Anyway, the only things I myself can think of is either a bad installation of ToEE or an incompatible NoCD crack?

8. Zovc

Zovc Member

I've been doing things like finding CD cracks and other "shady" things for a long time now. I like to think of myself as a power-user. For the most part, I know if I'm going to get a virus from doing something. My virus protection is computer savvyness.

I'm quite sure I've got the appropriate crack and everything. I'm suspecting my laptop's hardware as the culprit (It doesn't have pixel shader 2.0, and that has caused trouble with a LOT of games). While it's only about three or four years old, the onboard GPU is the only thing I've been disappointed with.

9. Zovc

Zovc Member

Looks like the laptop's hardware is getting in the way. The game starts fine on my desktop.

I am having trouble patcing wtih ToEE Front-End X, even running it as an administrator, it freezes when I try to activate the Circle of Eight modpack.

EDIT: Looks like it was a patience issue, I was able to activate Circle of Eight after waiting long enough.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
Our Host!