Random Ecounter from Nulb Crashes me?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Anakha92, Dec 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

Random Encounter on Map Crashes Me?

Hi, I'm currently playing ToEE with the Co8 5.6.0 BETA mod.

For some reason, there is a random encounter (can't say which) that is crashing my game.

What I do is:

1) I'm in Nulb for one reason or another.
    2) I leave Nulb
    >>First Time tried going from Nulb to Southern Hommlet
    >>Second Time tried going from Nulb to the Moathouse
    3) The line reaches mid game-map and pauses to initiate some random encounter.
    4) Crash to desktop and I get a little more frustrated lol

Can anyone help? I scanned the forums, and either I'm really bad at searching forums, or no one posted the answer I need yet :(

Oh here are a few system specs, if they are needed. Let me know if you need any other information that I missed.

.NET Framework Version: 2.0
    Co8 Modpack: 5.6.0 BETA
    ToEE Front-End X - Indeed
    I've had this occur in both FullScreen and Windowed Mode

UPDATE >> Might be a bit of spoiler, so I'll hide the text just incase
    I have been playing a bit more, skilled my characters up a bit, and finally decided to do a few quests around Nulb and go infiltrate me a Temple of Elemental Evil. I usually start by clearing the Guardhouse, so I did that and then entered That Wizard's little room (Falrinth or something, his name escapes me) Killed and looted him and his chests, fought the lady next door and looted her chest and headed to Hommlet to go identify a couple of items. I decided to dump the stuff I don't really need at the moment in my house in Nulb, and sure enough, i get crashed by a random Encounter. I save Very regularly and ALWAYS on a different save slot, so it's not a huge deal, but it IS getting very annoying! Help please =]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

Added an Update to this little problem, but it still isn't solved. It might prove to be just a tad on the spoiler side however, so I hid the text.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Did you allow the gnolls to go in the Moathouse by any chance? It sounds kind of like a scripted RE is trying to fire (which in this case would be the slaughtered caravan map) and is crashing for some reason. No idea why that map would want to crash, as I've never seen it do so, but there is a known bug where going to Nulb from the slaughtered caravan RE map causes a crash. Maybe this is something similar.

It's probably not just a regular old RE.

You could try this to fix the problem, assuming that's what it is: open the console and type

Code:
    game.global_flags[882] = 1
    and press enter. This should tell the game that that encounter already happened and it will stop trying to fire.

4. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

I payed the Gnolls to leave in the moathouse, I wasn't in the mood to fight them at the time. I didn't pay them to do anything else, if that makes a difference, I already knew where he was. I Have indeed visited the slaughtered caravan map, I was always glad you kept that map for something to be honest lol.

I'll try that, and let you know if I run into a crash again in the same situation, Thanks ^_^

5. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

Update yet again! I just finish a little journey on the first basement level of the temple, killed some buggers, and then went to Hommlet to sell some items. I then started for Nulb from there and sure enough crash!

6. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Have you met the Assassin?

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Does it ever happen if it tells you the RE first, you hit accept and it crashes?

If not, as suggested, it might be an unavoidable encounter. Interesting: there are very few of those.

8. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

I'm not quite sure about this assassin. Either I have and can't remember or I hasn't at all. with the second being more likely.

And no, I can't get as far as the accept/Deny screen :(

9. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Thinking that might be the random encounter, but not sure how it's triggered.

10. Anakha92

Anakha92 meh...

New issue too.. lol I'll hide since it is kind of a spolier for the greater temple...
    I slaughtered Hedrack and all them, (kind of disappointed about not seeing Iuz tho. Anyway, I heal, loot etc, then save, and jump into the water node then bam, i see 2 of the monsters, 1 character gets an attack and crraaassshhh! I see the destop.

Our Host!