New ToEE rule set?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by xraygord, Nov 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. xraygord

xraygord Member

Has anyone made a 1st ed. AD&D rule set for ToEE? Is it possible? I love the game, but I would much prefer to be able to play it with the original rules.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

ToEE was written for 3.5 and the stuff from the pnp modules was converted to 3.5 Elmo is a prime example of the difference, so, no 1st edition is possible.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Without starting a big debate, why is Elmo a Fighter 4 instead of a Ranger 4? Feats? :gotmyatte

4. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

I may be wrong but I think 1E rangers can wear chainmail without any penalties. So in 3.5 he couldn't be a ranger and wear chainmail without some kind of penalty.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, Elmo's great as a 1E Ranger but as 3.5E, he would have to be completely changed. I for one don't see him as a subtle, 2wf warrior - he's a guy who hits things with a big axe.

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Like Ted said, 3.5 rangers are very dissimilar to their 1st Edition counter-parts, so Fighter makes the most sense for Elmo. He still has (cross-class) ranks in rangerish skills, though.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I think the developers had to make a decision on Elmo. With his stats he would be good at anything. To keep the AC he would need magic studded leather. But Elmo isn't the archery type, he's a axeman like in the pnp module. He would be good at 2wf with 2 +3holy, flaming battleaxes. I've done that before. I don't like 3.5 rangers and never use them. It was easier to make him a fighter and maintain his personality as a tough axeman, which I like. All Elmo wanted was a big axe, not a longbow. I like Elmo. Hommlet was the first game I ever played and DMed and when I bought ToEE there was Elmo. I remembered him after 30 years. He's just fine the way he is.

8. GuardianAngel82

Yeah, I kind of see the point. Fighter matches the module CHARECTER better.

I remember Rangers could wear PLATE. But, I can't remember AD&D or 2ed. Okay, so instead of chain mail, stick him in a chain shirt. Same AC.

Keep the axe. It, to me, is more Rangerish than a longsword. The original Rangers in the U.S. were told to keep theirs sharp. Though they would be handaxes, not battleaxes.

I agree, 3.5 Rangers are too pale and wan. Though in DDO (28 point buy), I'm running a elven Ranger/Rogue, just like I do in ToEE. Dual-wielding a rapier and a short sword with weapon finesse, I sneak him in and casually disembowel the targets before they know he's there.

Now, if I could only get him to sing, "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm okay..." :dead::chick:

9. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

2E rangers were restricted to studded leather or lighter.

10. GuardianAngel82

Right. 2ed Rangers lose some of their special abilities in heavier armor.

11. DestroyYouAlot

DestroyYouAlot Member

I don't see why the one leads to the other. I for one would love to see an AD&D conversion - as it is I just grin and bear it (and choose feats that don't require me to do anything to activate them so I can just ignore them). It wouldn't require all that much to pull it off.

-DYA

12. xraygord

xraygord Member

Thats the spirit!

I do the same thing with the feats. I played Hommlet as a kid also, I loved that module. When I started to play the ToEE the PC game I was confused about some things, I noticed AC would go up instead of down when putting on better armour...lol. Thing was i didn't know about 3.0 or 3.5, I barely remembered 2e. I couldn't even find out about anything on the internet because when I got ToEE it was at the same time I got my first PC and we didn't get an interent connection for like a month and a half. Its a good thing the rule book was well explained. So I played and completed ToEE without having any of the patches or any online help. Anyone else ever do that? lol

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Let us know how that goes.

Our Host!