Circle of Eight 5.6.1 Upgrade Patch

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Sep 16, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The title says it all!

This patch fixes some minor bugs (particularly an ongoing thing with Jayfie, and the old Enlarge-spell exploit), adds a lot of new material from KotB and adds the option of non-core spells.

BUGS FIXED:

- Yvy's dlg file overhauled.
    - spell control files overhauled (SpellList.mes, SpellEnum.mes, Spell.mes, Snd_spells.mes)
    - Enlarge spell lingering oversized weapon bug fixed (Enlarge.py, co8.py)
    - Ronald should no longer speak to an unknown party Terjon is at war with (eg NE parties)
    - cabinet maker's dlg overhauled
    - added various spell.pys 766-804
    - updated a few files (dice_roll.mes, narrative.mes, scripts.py, Livonya.py)
    - issue with Jayfie speaking to you (or not) in camp fixed

NEW CONTENT:

- Less Humble NPCs enacted for Elmo (both versions), Zert, Kobort, Ronald, Otis, Thrommel and Zaxis
    - Rannos and Gremag's respawn implemented
    - new items now available from R&G's shop:
    • flasks of oil (PHB, 1d6 fire damage)
    • spyglass (PHB, doubles chance of spotting a random encounter)
    • healing kit (PHB, +2 Heal bonus)
    • scholars kit (+2 Spellcraft bonus)
    • eyeglasses (+2 Appraise bonus)
    • smokestick (PHB, as per 'Fog Cloud')
    • Acid (PHB, 1d6 acid damage)
    • Distilled Acid (1d6+6 acid damage)
    • Purified Acid (2d6+6 acid damage)
    • Eruptive Acid (1d6 acid + 1d6 fire damage)
    • Antitoxin (PHB, +5 bonus to poison saves)
    • Lockslip Grease (Complete Adventurer, reduces DC of locks by 1, 2 doses)
    - Spugnoir has some of these new items on him when joining party (as per module)
    - Acid Fog spell
    - Gentle Repose spell
    - the many new crossbows in KotB added to protos.tab for later purchase in Verbobonc, or perhaps to be used against the party :)

OPTIONAL CONTENT:

- optional spells from 'Bucket o Spells 1.1' and Vampiric Puppy's new spells

THINGS NOT FIXED:

- Anything not specifically said to be fixed
    - Problem with shopmap (workaround known)
    - Problem with Emridy Meadows giant (would probably require new game)
    - Problem with Amario's day/night transfer (would require new game)
    - reported stirges bug (could not be replicated)
    - reported Rainbow Rock bug (could not be replicated)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Unzip the 5.6.1_patch.rar into the root ToEE folder (where the 'data' and 'modules' folders live), overwriting as necessary. This will create a folder in your existing 'Addons' folder, called 'Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 BETA', and a file called 5.6.1.tam inside that folder. It will also create this .txt file in the existing 'docs_Co8 5.6.0' folder, as well as a new folder called 'Optional content'. If this is the case, everything has installed correctly. If not, you didn't point the unzipping archive at the root folder correctly.

USAGE INSTRUCTIONS

Run TFE-X with Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 BETA activated. Click on 'addon packs', then select 5.6.1 and activate it. Note the warning, and proceed at your own peril. Allow the pack to finish activating, then run the mod as normal.

DO I HAVE TO START A NEW GAME?

There are numerous changes to the game in this mod, but no changes that normally require a new game, such as changes to maps or mobs. Certain changes, such as the new Less Humble NPCs content, may not be experienced if you already have those NPCs in your party. Otherwise it can be hoped that you don't have to start a new game.

If you DO find that activating the patch breaks your saves, DON'T PANIC! There are instructions in the accompanying docs as to what to do to fix it.

USING THE NEW CONTENT

The Less Humble NPCs patch, which has not been enacted for all NPCs at this point because it would involve starting a new game (particularly with Furnok, who stands around on the Hommlet main map and can't have been avoided) finally brings synergy between the vision of the original game - NPCs who control their own inventories - and the Co8 Humble NPCs patch. Now, NPCs will only restrict access to their most valuable gear (eg armour, or magic items) and then only until they have travelled with the party long enough to gain a level. After that, they will sell or just hand over their gear as asked.

The new equipment can only be found at Rannos and Gremag's place, consistent with the original module that this was the place adventuring equipment was sold. So if you just use these guys as plot-monkeys and nothing else, now you have a reason to leave them alive :) Also note that the equipment is present in their shop due to rather a brutal instantaneous inventory-swap-out, so don't be surprised if it takes a few seconds to enter their shop first time after patching. In fact, it may feel like a crash, but as long as it isn't, don't sweat :)

Finally, there are 2 new spells from the PHB:

- Acid Fog: A fog made of acid
    - Gentle Repose: prevents slain NPCs decaying. Note that it doesn't work on a dead NPC! Unfortunate but true: so if you get into a combat and decide you want to use this, (such as on the gaoler on Temple lvl 1, if you kill him out of order) cast it on him while still alive, or if you prefer, while he is unconscious but BEFORE combat ends and he dies (or beat him down with non-lethal force, cast this then CdG). Very few other uses in ToEE, mainly a KotB spell I figured I should throw in for all those folks who still manage to kill that guy out of order (then come here and complain about it). Or if a plot-critical NPC attacks you unexpectedly - beat him down, use this spell, Raise at your leisure.

Speaking of complaints - if the DCs in the moathouse are too high, you can now buy lockslip grease. Or hire Furnok: he has no trouble with them.

USING THE OPTIONAL CONTENT

Inside the 'docs_Co8 5.6.0' folder, is a new folder called 'Optional content'. To access these spells in your game, simply copy these .txt files to the data/rules/spells folder of your active 5.6.1 game. Be aware that if you reactivate a game, you will have to copy them over again.

>>>>>DOWNLOAD HERE<<<<<

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

These optional spells... the file names don't start "spell### - spell name"like all the other spells do, but just "### - spell name" is this intentional? Or do you have to rename them to make them work?

Edit: sctratch that, those are the text files, not the spell scripts D'oh.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. EdCon

EdCon Member

All hail the shining one! Quick, rub his skull for good luck! ;)

Seriously, though, great addon, and so soon after the 5.6.0 update-kudos!

-EC

4. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Is there a version where those are fixed and you do have to start a new game?

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey Taltamir, good to see you. We are putting together a release to fix these things as we speak, check Gaear's recent announcement n the news thread. (It will also take care of various background things much as 5.6 did).

6. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

7. MB

MB Member

Gaear,

Any idea when 5.6.2 will be ready?

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm not entirely sure but hopefully by the end of the month.

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

On Halloween? ;)

10. cremo

cremo Member

sorry to bother, any news about 5.6.2?

I'd wish to start a new game, but since i know the patch should be coming i'm waiting in order to test it for bugs.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There will be an announcement about that soon in the News thread. Stay tuned ...

12. cremo

cremo Member

thanks Gaer for the quick reply.. hope to be able and test 5.7 soon :)

13. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

Haven't been around in a while and saw the new modpack and upgrade cool!

I was double checking that the MW inventories are not(i.e Brother Smythe/bing etc..) working as of 5.6.1.

Our Host!