ToEE on Windows Vista Compatability Testing & Workarounds

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Agetian, Mar 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. ben34

ben34 Member

no dice! but if i uninstall and reinstall it will work fine ONCE! then upon the very next game i startup it will crash no matter what! every time!

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    Here is my report

Extra OS Information: Aero is on
    Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 w/ 512 Mb dedicated Memory - 15.4 Screen
    Video Drivers: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 v. 8.477.0.0 ( Dated 4/7/2008 )
    Video BIOS: BK - ATI ver 0 10/084.000.00.028 109
    System Info:
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400
    4 Gb SDRAM
    Toshiba A305 - S6916 Laptop
    ToEE Setup : Original, Patch 1, Patch 2, Co8 5.5.0
    Compatibility: Supported

One very important thing to note: If you use the "hybrid" character creation system, compatibility will change each time you play the game. Allow me to explain. First the "hybrid" system, is where you create a character by first rolling a set of stats, and (before assigning numbers to stats) click on the "Advanced" tab. At this point, if you click to the right of the boxes for each stat, you will find the number you "rolled" allowing you to create some really powerful characters. The first time I tried the hybrid system, the game would not let me save at all. I would press the ESC key, and the game (and my laptop) would totally freeze up. The second time I tried it, I had two wierd occurances. First, I was unable to complete "Eye of the Tiger". My female fighter would accept Tolub's challange, throw 1 or 2 punches, and then the game would report that I had "botched" the quest, even if Tolub hadn't managed to land a blow (I tried this 6 or 7 times). Second, I had a CTD at Hickory Branch. When I played with a "pure rolled" party, I had no problems at all. I should point out that in all three cases I was NOT using any Windows Compatibility modes or special settings.
    TRC

3. ben34

ben34 Member

Now keep in mind I have the 64 bit OS and this in itself has caused compatibility issues for all my XP programs that are not vista relese dates or better? I hope that the no-cd crack will work but first I need to know where I can get it because no one has a running link that I can access for some reason and then don't bother to just type it out so!

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

We CAN'T post any links for the NO CD patch here due to legal reasons. This has been mentioned many times before in other threads. We can only point you in a general direction.

Do a Google search (or whatever) and look for the smallest (33kb IIRC) one. That's the one you want. Good luck.

P.S. If you're lucky, one of the other members who has this info may even PM you with a link.

5. Rushman

Rushman Member

My many thanks to all the Circle Eight modders who have done so much to make ToEE better and more playable!!!! I have installed ToEE on my Windows Vista machine and it is working just fine. Here is the info:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Extra OS Information: version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 series, 512MB DDR3 discrete graphics memory, up to 1790MB dynamically allocated shared using ATI HyperMemory

Video Card Drivers Revision: Driver provided by ATI Technologies, Inc., 4/21/09, version 8.611.0.0

Other System Information: Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 @ 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM

ToEE Revision: installed in this order: ToEE, Atari patch 1, Atari patch 2, Co8 Modpack 5.6.0 Beta

Compatibility Test Result: Supported; graphics run absolutely smoothly at highest video settings.

Known workaround(s): none

Extra Notes: When Spugnoir joins party, the second spell of his in the spell list off the inventory menu says "Error! Missing line 804 in mes\spell.mes". Also, when running ToEE Front End X, I had to make sure to run it in XP compatibility mode and run it with administrator authority. Other than these, no other issues noted yet.

Thanks again, Circle of Eight! After upgrading my desktop computer only to find it was too slow to really run ToEE (it was playable, but annoying), I have finally gotten it to run on my new laptop. My D&D fix shall go fulfilled!

Rushman

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  6. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

OK I'll add my experience.

Extra Info: UAC has been turned off for a long time
    Video: Radeon 4870 with 9.9 Catalyst Drivers
    Other: Q6600, 20" widescreen monitor
    ToEE, Patch 1, Patch 2, Co8 5.6.0 Beta, NoCD (after a couple of failures)

I had to manually set the graphics to 1680x1050 for the game not to hang soon after launch.

Other glitch: Esc only brings up two options - Load Game (which actually Saves) & Return to Game (which actually takes to base menu). Anyone got any ideas on this?

7. jcdlvsrbld

jcdlvsrbld Member

Acer Aspire 6930-6067

Everything seems to work fine (almost)

I was having the same issue, changing the driver back and forth DOESN'T seem to have fixed it, nor does changing the keyboard driver. :confused:

8. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Tilde means the key above the left tab. Just checking, because Americans always assume everyone's keyboard looks like theirs, and tilde on other keyboards is in a different place and no use at all.

9. Fenril

Fenril Member

Hello,
    Many thanks to you guys, for such a great job.
    Here is my report :

Operating System: French Windows Vista Home Premium 32 SP2 (daily updated)
    Extra OS Information: French version ; Aero interface enabled
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB
    Video Card Drivers Revision: NVIDIA Forceware 156.69
    Other System Information: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.66 GHz ; 4 GB RAM
    ToEE Revision:
    • June 2009 : TOEE + patch 1 + patch 2 + Co8 5.5.0 + TOEE nocd crack
      (I guess NVIDIA Forceware was an older version then)
    • August 2010 : TOEE + patch 2 + TOEE nocd crack + Co8 5.5.0 (uninstalled)
    Compatibility Test Result:
    • June 2009 : TOEE Unsupported BUT Front End Supported ==> OK
      I got two problems : First the game was asking for CD and was not finding it. I fixed that with the no-cd crack. Secondly, my antivirus always screamed at TOEE.exe (labeled as a Trojan). I had to create an exception for it.
    • August 2010 : TOEE Supported BUT Front End Unsupported ==> Not OK !
      Wanted to play again last month, but the game wouldn't start; So I installed it again, following the classic instructions of CO8. However I couldn't install patch 1, so I went directly on patch 2. Again the no-cd crack. This time, ToEE worked perfectly (with video). But it as been impossible to launch any Front-End (I tried 5.8.1 NC and 5.0.0). I always get the classic VISTA pop-up : "TFE-X has stopped working" (translation might be uncorrect).
      I have set all the .exe with admin rights, and the shortcuts too.
      I set TOEE and TFE-X as exceptions in "Window Defender". I uninstalled my antivirus and rebooted. I disabled the firewall (windows') and rebooted.
      Nothing seemed to work. I am getting desperate (but not housewife, halas, ah ah :bored:)

Our Host!