Request: Punctuation in long description stats

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by SharkD, Aug 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

Long descriptions often have additional stats listed at the end, such as "Armor Proficiency: Light Movement Speed: 30/20" for the Studded Leather Armor. However these stats tend to run into one another due to lack of punctuation between them. Some sort of punctuation, such as semicolons or commas are warranted. Better yet, put each stat on a new line if possible. I know that new lines can be done, but the description window lacks a scrollbar, so one would need to be added if possible.

-Mike

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well there won't be scrollbars - the game simply prints text over the top of tgas. Its not done in proper windows.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've been hoping to get spell descriptions and other like things looked over and edited for content for some time now. Jesse Heinig had agreed to do spells I think a year ago now but he drifted away again. We'll see if it can be fit in. Or, you could bravely volunteer for the job. :p

4. SharkD

Spell descriptions can just be copied directly from the manual, no?

-Mike

5. Boque

Boque Member

Is it possible to get the long description SHIFT click on items that are in the shops, i.e. not bought yet?

6. Gaear

I don't think so. At least not without turning all short descriptions into long descriptions.

Hm ... well, those descriptions should already exist verbatim in the in-game hyper-text help system, so there's not a lot of point in reproducing them yet again. I've never much fiddled with that stuff, but I believe Jesse devised a method of stats and factual descriptioins that struck a nice balance (without going outside the text bounding box).

7. SharkD

The problem in this case is not that an item has/doesn't have a short/long description. Rather, the SHIFT+ capability doesn't exist for the shop inventory (or chests for that matter). I would like to see this added as well, since otherwise I have to revert to buying the item, checking its stats and then reverting to a previous save game.

-Mike

8. Gaear

Let me do some checking.

9. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

One of the things I'm working on as I test spells is making sure the descriptions (the ones in the box while selecting/preparing spells) are consistent, accurate, and don't omit important details like power caps. ;) I'm afraid doing items as well is a little much for me at the moment.

EDIT: Also, if Jesse has a particular system, I'll try to stick to that. If he's still actually working on the descriptions, I'll just send him my suggestions on things needing fixed. I've sent him a message about it, so I'm just waiting on a response, now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  10. Gaear

Okay, long(er) descriptions in shops and chests are not possible without jacking other things up, sorry. We can however do something about your original request - adding some form of punctuation or breaks to make long descriptions easier to read.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  11. SharkD

...except when the text is so long that it requires a scrollbar, which isn't possible (at least I don't see one in your picture).

12. Boque

Boque Member

Ah thats a shame! But thanks for having a go at it, will have to do the buy and reload technique or just memorise all the items ha ha

13. Gaear

We may need to limit the text descriptions then. Are there any that are so excrutiatingly long that they go past six lines? They shouldn't be that way anyway.

14. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

The long(er) description looks great, Gaear!

15. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The game kind of assumes the player has some knowledge of what they're looking at or want to buy. To get all the details on an item you have to buy it or loot, then check it out. Magic items have to be identified anyway. Like Lareths breatplate. Un-indentified is says AC6, maxdex+3, etc. So you have a good ideal what it is. You don't have to identify it to use it. If you're not familiar with the game and D&D in general then I guess it's a problem. Learn how to shop smartly and buy what you need. Weapon specs vary so greatly you just have to have a good general knowledge of what's what, or look it up in the references.

Our Host!