Difficulty slider?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by SharkD, Jul 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

Difficulty spreadsheet

Anyone ever thought of making it possible to increase/decrease the difficulty level? It shouldn't be too hard. All that would need to be done is edit protos by changing all the 2d8s to 2d10s or 3d8s. An external tool could be created for this purpose.

-Mike

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, there's the 'max HP' option in TFE-X.

3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Thats not what he asked for Ted! Why must you be so difficult. Just mod one up!

Cheers

4. SharkD

I think this is easy enough that I can complete it myself. I can upload it when I'm done if anyone is interested in trying it.

-Mike

[edit]
    I plan on only modifying NPC stats. Anyone know of a RAW character calculator so I don't do something that's wrong?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  5. SharkD

I found this one:

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

However, it only works if you know the level of the NPC. I'm not sure where to find this information in protos for monsters.

6. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

made me laugh :D

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The monster HitDice are listed for each monster in the npc section of protos. With maxhp on they increase dramatically, so call it "Hard"? Off is easy? Somehting like easy, normal, hard, etc isn't implemented in the game. Who the hell knows what easy,normal,hard is. Not really necessary for this type of game.

8. SharkD

I was thinking of increasing each NPC's level by 1 (or 2 for "extra hard"). I also want all the other stats to increase according to RAW. However, I am having difficulty figuring out what the *current* level for most of the critters is (i.e. NPCs with no levels in any class).

I'm doing everything in a spreadsheet, and have it set up to export a new protos.tab when needed.

-Mike

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Give everything a level of rogue. Sneak attack!

10. wizgeorge

Everything is there in protos. CR/HD for monsters and levels for npc's. If there is no entry for certain npc's they are 0 level non-recruitable types. A lot of stuff has already been increased, some dramatically. The original protos was 962KB and 5.5.0 is 1433KB(approx). Lots of changes.

11. SharkD

I realize this. According to RAW they should still have a level (but not necessarily in a class). Level 0 is a no-go.

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  12. wizgeorge

The author didn't do that and it's not a finished product. A lot of changes have been made by numerous people, so feel to do as you please.

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

How does the difficulty of an encounter increase at higher levels now? Do THAT! ;)

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Just a heads up - messing around with monster levels can yield unexpected results. E.g. you may find out that the fights aren't particularly harder than before, yet reward the player with more experience and levelups, resulting in EASIER fights in the long run. Balance can be a tricky thing, so good luck with it.

Also, you might want to consider reducing the experience gain modifier (located in rules\combat_vars.mes).

15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Awesome point, Sitra. That makes for a pretty sound reason to just go with the two "Max HP" options in the front end if you want to increase the difficulty.

Our Host!