First playthrough: comments & questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lechium, Jul 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

thankfully the only really body-intensive and make sure you get all the loot type fight that is fought in water is the imeryds one :)

2. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

Hello all!

It is my first playthrough as well and I have a couple of questions:

1. Where can I buy/obtain masterwork glaive?

2. What items would be the best for clearing the temple from mobs - Holy or Axiomatic bow/glaive/cleaver?

3. My fighters are missing a lot during a combat. But even worse is a rogue with a bow. Although she is an elf with 20 DEX, she can miss 10 times in a row.
    What can I do to improve accuracy/hit rate?

Thanx in advance for help and sorry for my poor english.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Welcome! Your English is actually quite good - better than many native speakers...

The smith in Hommlet will sell masterwork items after you complete a quest for him.

Any of the above will work well depending on the build of the character using them. Glaive is probably the easiest to work with. Experiment and have fun.

Level up - low level characters in D&D do a lot of missing, that's just how it is. As for the rogue, make sure you give her the appropriate feats (PB Shot, Precise Shot at the bare minimum) and try to move her so she has a clear line of sight to her target - characters or objects in between can cause the target to get a concealment bonus to their AC.

4. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

Thank you for answering so fast. But in 2nd question I was wondering what type of enchantment put on weapon - holy or axiomatic? I don't know which type of enchantment is better.

5. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Holy or axiomatic? Well axiomatic gives extra damage against chaotic alignments and bestows a negative level loss as long as it is wielded by a chaotic character. Holy gives extra damage against evil alignments and bestows a negative level loss as long as it is wielded by a evil character. Since TOEE seems to have a great deal of evil aligned characters and monsters, I would go with holy, but YMMV.

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If you have a choice of Holy or Axiomatic, I'd probably go with Holy first since almost everything in the Temple is Evil - but a good number of the Temple foes are Chaotic Evil, so Axiomatic works too... and if you can afford the XP and GP, use both! Holy, Axiomatic weapons will cut through the DR of almost any foe in the game like a hot knife through butter! Awesome for slice 'n' dicing demons - including the Balor and Zuggy herself. :chainsaw:

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Holy.

Also, you are missing because you are attacking over things, including your own PCs: what erkper meant by 'clear line of sight'. If you shoot something behind cover (generally other critters), it gets a +4 bonus to AC, which is a killer to low level characters. Note this applies to glaive-weilders in the 2nd rank as well as folks with bows.

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

i'm actually OK that you are looting dead bodies in a river, but did you kill them (if it was for the XP, that's a good excuse) and did you kill them in the river to dispose of the bodies or to soften them up to eat later?

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

They weren't real bodies, just weighted down rag dolls. We were learning to ambush linear areas like streams and roads. The idea was to find all of the bodies and check them for intelligence before a reaction force arrived. But the stream really WAS cold. :confused:

I like your idea about softening them up for later, though. :thumbsup:

Our Host!