Old dog, new tricks

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Jul 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Hail Mordenkainen, Rary, Tenser, Otiluke, Otto, Nystul, Bigby, Drawmij and Jallarzi Sallavarian!

I just wanted to come on here and let you know what a fantastic job you are all doing, picking up where Troika left off. I have been playing vanilla TOEE for several years, since it first came out. The modpack was a great gift to the community. Perhaps you should try to buy Troika out since they are not putting anything out? ;)

I've finished my first run through of it and now have 6 characters all at level 20. It was a great run, all except for the little loser I picked up in the temple. He's a merchant from Verbabonc and has a ring of I-don't-do-anything-except-gain-levels-and-steal-loot-and-you-can't-get-rid-of-me that he wears constantly. Ungrateful wretch. I brought him from level 1 to level 20 and he won't even talk to me.

I wanted to mention something I noticed somewhere around 17th to 18th level, if I remember correctly. My human wizard, Halaster, was able to pick two new spells, Enslavement and Infatuation. They appear at the very bottom, past where the 9th level spells end. They do not appear as spells that I can memorize and use on my lists. I was able to learn them but after that, they disappear. It's a very sad thing.

Anyways, keep up the great work. Perhaps you could work on a recreation of the Blood Wars for the 20th level characters. Or maybe a beholder/mind flayer hive. Or better yet, throw the characters in the middle of the Githyanki/Githerazi war. Giggity. That would be awesome! A complete migration where characters have to defeat Cthulhu? Oh yeah, babay. That's the stuff. And Welkwood Bog? That place definitely needs to have an apprentice of Vecna in there, or maybe Vecna himself! He comes to Hommlet to enslave Zugtmoy, beat down Iuz and drive Cuthbert off forever. I have many ideas and absolutely no skills to pull anything like this off, as you can see. :pelvicthr

I'll be watching the forums for new info and the new revised modpack. Don't quit. Ciao.

2. Necroticpus

Any word on the 9th level Infatuation/Enslavement spells yet? I've checked through the board here and couldn't find anything referencing it.

3. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

I dont know anything about those spells in particular, but they are modded spells of 10th level, if you look at the files, so i assume they're either meant to be scroll only, npc only etc? :) sorry, i know thats not much help.

Probably best to treat them as uncastable.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

They are for testing purposes and are for the wands of enslavement and infatuation. You aren't meant to be able to memorise / cast them.

5. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

I'm stumped as to how you get 6 chars to lev 20. I think the highest I've got is about lev 15, and that's with maybe 4 or 5 characters. Are you doing a lot of resting in dungeons?

6. Necroticpus

After level 10 or 11, all I'm doing is resting in the spot where you first encounter Hedrak. Fights don't even last a full round. You either get 1 ettin, 1 - 2 hill giants, 2 - 5 gargoyles or 1 black pudding. My human thief can kill a hill giant in 2 hits most times, sometimes 3, with a light crossbow. Absolutely brutal.

If you want to have some real fun, pull everyone away from the fragarach fighter and let him deal with the black puddings. Every hit splits the black puddings into doubles at full strength. Human thief can fire 3 shots and create 4 black puddings at full strength. The most I was able to handle was about 30 before things became unmanageable, lol. Only do that if you want to break the tedium, as they aren't worth hardly any experience, if any at all.

At the higher levels, like 15 and above, it takes roughly about an hour to gain a level for everyone, even the loser merchant from Verbobonc that can't do anything, even die.

P.S. Disintegrate is a nifty spell. :pelvicthr

7. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

lol!!! 30 black puddings would be a riot. I figured that's where you were resting, tried it before too but it got boring fast, heh. Thanks ;)

Our Host!