Problem with a Vista Installation.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sogrady, Jun 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. sogrady

sogrady Member

First of all I want to thank all the Co8 community for the outstanding work on the ToEE mods. I have played the ModPak 5.0 on a Wndows XP box and was very impressed with the work you all have done. Thanks again.

My issue is with a new laptop that I am trying to install the ModPak 5.5 beta on. When I follow the install steps posted on this forum ToEEFE is having problems. I have to use the no-cd crack to get the app to run (which I prefer, anyway so no problem there). I create a LG Elvern Sorcerer character and begin adventuring. when I go to throw a Magic Missle spell then number of Missles I can send is 1/-511, as if one of the patches is not installed. not sure what I missed.

Here is my setup:
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    AVG Free v 8.5.374.

Install steps:
    ToEE from the discs.
    update permissions on the ToEE installation folder. (c:\program files\atari\Temple of Elemental Evil)
    Install Patch 1
    Install Patch 2
    Install Co8 ModPak 5.5 beta
    Run the TFE-X applicaton.
    replace the TOEE.exe with the no-cd version.

Any suggestions as to where I went astray would be very much appreciated. please let me know if I missed any vital information you may need.

Thanks again to all.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

When you launch the game, does it say "Co8 Modpack 5.5.0 BETA" under the ToEE title in the main menu? And after you start a new game, do you first go to the new brick and mortar shopmap? It may be that you're not playing Co8 at all, which can happen if you don't actually select the mod in front end or if you didn't let the module activation finish.

3. sogrady

sogrady Member

When the TOEEFE comes up initially I have to select the ModPak 5.5.0, then click the Activate button. after I click the button I can then play the game. it does say Co8 ModPack 5.5.0 on the screen where I have to select a new game or load a game. ** Side note. the 'Tutorial' menu is not present on this screen, but not a big deal because I don't need it. ** when I click create a game, choose the alignment of the party, then create and add a new character, it initally takes my party to an encounter with bandits. I do not see a brick and mortar shopmap, just a road side encounter with the bandits. am I missing something?

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Curious... After you clicked on "activate mod pack" did you immediately start a new game or did you wait until it finished loading?

The mod takes a LONG time to load. You will get a message box advising you when its done> Did you see that BEFORE you started playing?

5. sogrady

sogrady Member

yes. after I clicked the TFE-X.exe I waited until it asked if I wanted to create a desktop icon. then it said that it was activated and all that. I then restarted the machine and clicked the ToEEFE desktop icon. I selected the Circle of 8 Modpack 5.5.0 Beta version. all buttons were disabled except for the Activate and the Quit button. when I click the Activate, I wait for it to finish. upon receiving the dialog saying that it is complete I close the ToEEFE and reboot the machine again. On restart I open the ToEEFE and double check that the Circle of 8 Modpack 5.5.0 Beta is selected from the list, click the 'Disable Intros' button the click the 'Play' button. at this time the normal startup screens run as expected. When the Main Menu comes up, it says that is it the Co8 Modpack 5.5.0 Beta with menu items of 'New Game', 'Load Game', 'Options' or 'Quit Game' (as stated before, no 'Tutorial'. so I click 'New Game', and 'Normal' character generation. I create 1 character (LG female elven sorcerer) and begin adventuring. the first screen is an intro that I click through. then I am battling 3 bandits. the MM is still 1/-511. I use 4 MM on each bandit, then a caravan survivor appears and sends me to Hommlet. I am certain that it is the Co8 modpack because upon arriving in Hommlet, I speak to the kid that is very excited to see adventures in Hommlet. also upon making my way to the Inn of the Welcome Wench, Furnok of Ferd is standing outside with another female.

Again thanks for your time in helping me remedy this problem.
    Scott

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

It sounds like you may be using the wrong version of the no-cd. The correct crack is the patch 2 version - it is very small (33 kb installed, ~17 kb in the .rar or .zip.) Note that many anti-virus programs will alert you this version of the no-cd has a trojan, but don't worry - it is a false positive, there is no virus in the file.

7. ben34

ben34 Member

I can install XP just fine latest version but my brand new vista laptop I do everything the same and it plays just fine the VERY first time but then it will crash upon every startup from the front end afterwards, no cure I have to completely do a clean install remove everything and then boom same crash same time!? Vista not XP and I want to run this mod on my new laptop so any info on a solution let me now thanks

8. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

you mention updating permissions for the toee folder - are you running the game as an admin as well?

apologies in advance if you are; posting just in case:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
Our Host!