CO8 on linux? TFE-X fails...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by fdelente, Apr 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. fdelente

fdelente Member

Hello.

Thanks to wine, Temple of Elemental Evil plays perfectly under linux.

However, I'd like to play it with the CO8 mod; I followed the installation instructions (install game, patches 1 and 2, then unpack CO8 mod in the ToEE folder).

As TFE-X relies on DotNet, and as that doesn't work well under wine, I can finalize the installation.

I'd like to know what TFE-X does in terms of modification of the game files, etc. so that I can do the modifications by hand, and enjoy the mod.

Thanks for any help!

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Crikey... well, the Co8_modpack_5.5.0.tfm (or whatever its specific name is) is simply an archive. You can unpack it with WinRAR. Inside is a data folder, a modules folder, a copy of temple.dll, a docs folder, a picture & .txt file. Ignore the last 3 then:

- copy the Data folder over your Data folder in Atari / Temple of Elemental Evil

- copy the Modules folder over your Modules folder in Atari / Temple of Elemental Evil

- then open modules / ToEE and put the Temple.dll in there (overwriting the existing one).

- Manually clear the map cache by opening modules / ToEE / maps and deleting all the strangely named files (not the folders, though :))

- Run game and hope for the best.

- Don't blame me if anything goes wrong.

3. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I tried getting it running in ubuntu with Wine and wasn't very successful...:biggergri

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

In order to compensate for the lack of .NET under Linux you can try Mono, but I'm not sure if it's going to work that way or not, I've never tested since I don't have a PC with Linux installed handy.

- Agetian

5. fdelente

fdelente Member

Thanks for your tips, I will try them out and come back here if need more help!

Keep up the good job, I'm looking forward to Keep on the Borderland! :)

6. fdelente

fdelente Member

There are also ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll and Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.dll, do I need them?

For that last point, my temple.dll is at c:\toee\temple.dll, not in modules\ToEE... Is it the one I need to overwrite? There is no temple.dll in modules\ToEE...

Does that mean all file, or only those that have numbers in their names? What should I do with a file like 469762055.sec? Delete? And G_00C7722E_D435_D9D4_1069_D4FD8FC24094.mob? Delete? And mapinfo.txt?

Of course, don't worry, I won't ever curse you for anything! :)

Thanks for the help!

7. Shiningted

Hmmmm.... I didn't realise those .dlls were there: I think they are for TFE-X as I don't recognise them as native ToEE .dlls, but put them in the root folder by all means :) It can't hurt.

For Temple.dll, you are 100% right, put that in the root folder over the existing one. I was reverting to an earlier version of the Front End, not the original game itself. My mistake.

For modules / ToEE / maps, DON'T open the individual map folders! You only have to delete any weirdly named files in the maps folder if you have already run the game (they are the compiled map files, if you add new content you want to force them to recompile). If you have not yet run the game they won't be there yet.

8. fdelente

fdelente Member

Perfectly clear now, I continue my setting up!

Thanks!

9. fdelente

fdelente Member

Finished! It went out flawlessly; I see the "CO8 5.5.0 BETA" message on the start menu screen, and my adventure started on a shop map, much different from the vintage 2.0 patch.

The game doesn't even crash any more when I quit!

Thanks for the help, and the good work! ;)

10. Shiningted

Well, good work at your end to get it working without the installer :thumbsup:

11. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

That is awesome,
    Please write up an install instructions and we can book mark it for future Unix Users... who knows.. a lot of them are programmers and they could help us with improving on the game and making an installer that could be stored up on the Multiverse for other gamers...

There is a large population of unix users who play Windows games in virtual windows out there... a whole new crop of programers, artists, musicians and more... not even to mention alot of free tools for them to use.

12. fdelente

fdelente Member

Here is how I did it:

1/ I installed wine; on Slackware (my distribution) I did

$ installpkg wine-1.1.19-i486-1kjz.tgz

2/ with wine, I installed Temple of Elemental Evil from the 2 CD retail version I have. My DVD drive is mounted on /dvd, so I did

$ cd /dvd
    $ wine setup.exe

3/ The game installed, then I installed official patches 1 and 2;

$ cd /wherever/you/have/downloaded/the/patches
    $ wine TOEE_PATCH1_ENU.EXE
    $ wine TOEE_USA_-PATCH2.EXE

4/ after that I went into the directory where wine installed ToEE; for me it's .wine/drive_c/toee as I didn't install it in the default location, that's a matter of personal choice :) The command is

$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/toee

5/ there I unrared the CO8 modpack. I renamed the tfm file to a .zip The command is

$ unrar x Circle_of_Eight_Modpack_5.5.0_BETA.rar
    $ mv Circle\ of\ Eight\ Modpack\ 5.5.0\ BETA.tfm co8.zip

6/ I unzipped this renamed file

$ unzip co8.zip

At some time I had a message that it needed to overwrite a file, I answered 'A' (capital A, not lowercase a) for 'overwrite all' and unzip silently overwrote any other file of the same already present.

7/ I renamed the original temple.dll (which is all lowercase) to temple.dll_ori to get it out of the way.

$ mv temple.dll temple.dll_ori

The new TEMPLE.DLL is in uppercase, so it didn't overwrite the original one.

8/ I installed the no-CD crack for ToEE patch 2.0; I did that because wine often has trouble with copy protection. I didn't try with the non-cracked ToEE.exe, as I don't like having to mount the CD before playing.

I leave you on your own to find the crack and install it :)

9/ And that's it!

$ wine TOEE.exe

and I play! :)

13. Aeldrich

Aeldrich Member

What about changing pc/npc party members, or changing the level cap? how would one do that without the front-end?

14. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

While I'm a very lazy bastard who plays his games in windows, I find it rather encouraging to see that one of my favourite games will be able to work in a Linux environment.

I would even suggest to merge this thread to the Linux sticky (so that when I would swith to a Linux OS I wouldn't have to spend too much time searching this thread :p )

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  15. Ank

Ank Established Member

TFE-X fails for me as well, can run toee.exe just fine but what's the point i can't get the TFE-X to work on my debian... neither the linux version or the windows one, would appreciate any pointers on how to get it working ...:yes: ...sucks royaly to cling to a vboxed' windows system just for toee :roll:
    UMM see below the post about some 'idiot' figuring the error(s) of he's way.... and finally getting the TOEE to submit to hes will.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
Our Host!