FYI- post from steve moret

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Sheriff05, Sep 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

While I do not know if I can comment on the specifics of the situation more than saying that I did modify a good deal of ToEE code today, I'd like to remind people that while Troika made ToEE we do not own the game (we do own the code) or a license to the system which the game uses. The releasing of anything (including a patch, updated code or text, etc) for the game is not something we can do legally on our own.

If a patch is to be released, not only must it go thru, and be sanctioned by, Atari (the publisher for the game). But it also must be approved by the licensor (in this case WotC) and their owner Hasbro.

Whether Atari/Hasbro/WotC wants to release it or not (at least two) members of the ToEE team have been, and will be working on a patch.

Irvine, CA

Wasn't sure if anyone caught this yet

will we need to remove all the mods before installing Troika's patch?

2. Daxamar

Daxamar Member

Maybe. it all depends on how and what they patch. Personally, and no offense to Troika, I see more results and a better game with whats being done here than what Atari/Hasbro/WoTC will allow.

Atari/Hasbro/WoTC , Good God! Now theres a mix made in hell. If Troika is smart. They will weasel out of whatever agreement they made with this evil trinity of the modern world!

Dax

3. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

here's more .....

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by MTSTide
    That settles it, Atari is now on my boycott list. Thaks a lot, arseholes.

And thank you, smoret, for your post and continued effort at Troika.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't get me wrong, my post was not to imply that Atari does not want to do a patch. My post was just clarifying that with any game that a 3rd party developer does (ESPECIALLY one with licensed content) the developer does not have the ability to just release a patch whenever they feel like it.

In most cases the game is the property of the publisher (and sometimes other companies as well) and thus they are required to publish any part of it.

quote:
    Originally posted by a54321
    you're probably aware but at

greyhawk modification

they are fixing/restoring things too

I know nothing of what you're talking about LA-LA-LA-LA-LA. While Troika loves the mod community (especially the Arcanum mod community), we do not officially sanction, condone, or assist in user mods for ToEE. It is neat to have you guys guess and try and figure out how and why we did things, though.

Irvine, CA

looks to me like you guys are figuring out stuff pretty good.....

4. Joviex

Joviex Member

Hey Steve, will the above, 6 cans of pringles and a case of Everbach beer get me a job over there?

Our Host!