Add over-5-PC crack to new release . . . yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Mar 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What does everyone think of adding the over-5-PC crack to the new Co8 4.0.0 release when it comes out? Personally, I find it kind of aggravating to have to hack the .dll whenever I want to add it. Plus, I don't think it's harmful to anyone who wants to play the old way -- just don't use more than 5 PCs, right?

Opinions welcome . . .

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I'm completely for it. As you said, you don't have to use it if you don't want to and hacking the dll every time there's a patch is a PITA.

3. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Yeah, I think it should be added. Put it in a directory called "5PC" or something. I like playing with only 5 party members.

4. Kordius

Kordius Member

Yes it could be interesting.
    After all the main aspect of TOEE is sub-tactical and more charaters more conbinations.

5. Martinius

Martinius Member

Agreed. It adds to the experience. I for one play with only 4 PCs, but I like the freedom to have the option to play with up to 8!

6. Death Adder

Death Adder Member

Yes, I would also like to see this in.

7. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah im all for it....i like using my own characters instead of the NPC's so please put it in.

8. Gaear

I normally do too, but it sounds like the NPCs might be worthwhile again, not to mention rather interesting, after Livonya's through with them.

Word to the wise. ;)

9. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Doesn't that patch cause lockup if played in a certain way that "fills" the party? That would do bad things for public perception if so. Can a command-line option be added to enable the patch, and it normally defaults to off? Then everyone can be happy...

-- dulcaoin

10. Gaear

Having 8 set as your max PC value will cause the game to crash if you try to recruit a 9th member (PC or NPC) while 8 are already in your party. There may be a couple instances where an NPC is forced upon you at some point -- I'm thinking of Fruella in particular -- but I believe that can be avoided if you see it coming.

I suppose the command line option would be okay. Another idea would be to enable 7 as the max number of party members. I don't believe there's ever a time when 2 NPCs get forced on the party . . . or am I wrong?

I recall there was a problem with 8 PCs and Livonya's beta version of the kids/traps/et al mod . . . was that ever addressed?

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Pc?npc?

I would prefer to have more PC's because the NPC'a are such a hassle. I just did a daring rescue of the Prince and I went back to Hommlet to drop off Elmo, and went back and got him, and Fragarach. You have to have an open NPC slot for him to join. I normally play with 8, 5 PC, and 3 NPC and juggle them around if need be. Being able to have more than 5 PC is a good thing.

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I could add the 8 PC max crack in as an option. Of course that would considerably increase the mod's download size, because it basically means I have to include a temple.dll with the crack, and one withouth it. Maybe it would be better to just provide a temple.dll with the crack as a separate download?

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Ted, Ed and Ed come as a pack of three, and while your not "forced" to take them, if you have 6+ pc's and are unaware of the problems caused by hacking the dll taking them into the group will cause problems, I'm all for adding the hack, don't get me wrong but I think it should be optional, and have a clearly visable warning about the problems that may arise from using it.

14. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah and the two half orcs you find as prisoners are a package deal and you mother screng wont join unless otis is with you. but i would still like to see it. i use 7 pcs and 1 npc just because sometimes you need one for a quest.

15. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

Would it be possible to detach a PC and have the character sit somewhere as a NPC until you ask her to join again? That way you could shuffle your party as necessary to fullfill quests. I am guessing, but it may be too much of a pain to do.

And a quick check to make sure your party size is < 8 before allowing the addition of another party member.

-Firestrand

Our Host!