Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by GuardianAngel82, Nov 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

It won't fix all, but it will fix a lot of them. You'll also have the option to play the "vanilla" game with the fixes. It's not perfect but it's the best there is. The "rules for successful TOEE gaming" sticky thread still applies.

It's got nothing with the PC - it's the game's problem. It's all about patience, and saving often. I managed to get through vanilla 1.0 TOEE without major game-breaking crashes until very late in the game.

2. fredcdobbs

fredcdobbs Member

Well, I have uninstalled/reinstalled/patched/loaded the modpack and, I must say, it seems to have reduced the number of ctds by roughly 50% or so.

That is, now it only crashes about every fifth time I talk to someone, buy something, or enter/exit a door - whereas before it would crash every third time I would try to do so.

Of course, it IS an Adventure Game - so I suppose a certain amount of danger is to be expected when attempting risky pastimes such as walking, shopping, or chatting... :twitch:

Has there ever been a buggier piece of shite code ever written?

I tell you: I am going to derive more pleasure from my $12 purchase by using the disks as skeets than I have done from attempting to play the damned thing. :rant:

And, oh yes, possible bug report on the modpack: I would experience a ctd EVERY time I tried to purchase a missile weapon - ANY missile weapon (save for throwing daggers) from the Modpack Mall and then save afterward. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it was 100% reproducible each and every time I tried it, and nothing else caused this in the pre-game.

I think it very likely that this will be my last post here, unless there are any further suggestions; I am very weary of this so-called 'game' and, whereas the $12 is no great loss, I am deeply resentful of the hours and hours of irritation and frustration I have spent on it - which I will never get back in my life. Honestly, if the people responsible for this fiasco were before me right now, I would go Medieval on them and show them where the pointy end of the glaive-guisarme should be put. :poke:

Thank you all for what you have done, but I fear that if someone is one of the lucky few whose system/software allow them to play this atrocity without constant crashing, they will never understand the nightmare I have endured trying to play it, modpack or no.

:doublethu

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

If you want to ever get anywhere, just don't save on the shopmap - it crashes every time for me.

Also, read this: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6070

If you have a save that crashes, delete it and go the the previous one, and so on until the transition between locations doesn't crash. Therefore, save really often.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You may have a defective cd that's not loading completely/properly. Not unusal and several installs maybe needed to hit a good one. Test the cd on another computer/laptop. There may be something in your system that's not agreeing with the cd/game. If it does the same things on another computer then buy a new cd. They're cheap and the game is definitely worth playing. Don't give up quite yet.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry for your troubles, but the reality is that you are one of the unlucky few who have such a hard time with the game. Which, IMHO, suggests some type of system incompatability on your end rather than general defectiveness in the game. If that were not the case, no one else would be able to play it.

Also, just FYI, the Co8 modpack does nothing whatsoever to stabilize the functionality of the game engine.

6. RICK-DOG

RICK-DOG Member

Re: ToEE Front-End X Official Discussion Thread

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been here. Glad you folks are still working on this game. Many thanks for all you do!

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.x + CMF Bug Report Thread

OH! That's bad. It's spreading. :twitch:

8. rossik

rossik Member

a report:
    i rescued Jaer and teleported all the group to nulb. he thanks, the quest is completed, but he becames invisible and didnt leave the group. i cant even talk to him!

9. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Gaear, I am enjoying the modpack very much. The moathouse ambush was quite challenging. I am curious about the rationale for the boys teaming up with gnolls. The presence of the gnolls really took me by surprise - a very enjoyable surprise.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I suppose the gnolls could be considered local available mercenary types. :shrug:

The issue of who would be a part of that ambush was hotly debated in its day. Several considerations were involved, from the feasability of the monster/NPC type to the preponderance of them later in the game (read: bugbears). Gnolls seemed like the best fit.

11. Basil the Timid

Should it be considered a bug that no one wants to buy Fine Chainmail?

12. Basil the Timid

Sounds good to me, but I think Affirmative Action might want a word with you for not giving jobs to Dwarves and Halflings. Oh crap! I'm supposed to call them "little people".

13. ben34

ben34 Member

I have reported the console no other times as a crash that was the first time and I am making it official now just so you don't think im wasting posts! I am seriouse about this mod and I do love what you modder have done thus far I just get frusterated because I have two really great computers and still no progress with the mod hardware of not. I do have other bugs to report when I travel to and from map locations I get crashes now also. I get bogged down and slow for some reason the more I get into a game but thats without the mod too so it may not be a matter of a clean install but I do follow the directions about unzipping to my directory and installing from there is there a differerent way to cleanly install it if so please let me in on how I would love to try that as well mabey it would help me out.

14. ben34

ben34 Member

I did a clean install and the game works fine in most aspects I can even get to verbonc BUT I have been plagued with inauspiciouuse crashes intermittinely eveywhere randomely during the entire game! certain little things set it off but not always its compleately random like I go to save and boom ever once in a wile crashes, or I go to learn a bunch of spells and after I get through like more than 5 spells it will crash, Like I said the install is clean and the game works I just have to fight it to make it anywhere and be persistant with all the random crashes is there anything I might try to rid myself of the random crash plague I don't want to reinstall but I will if you think it may help?

15. ben34

ben34 Member

I also make sure when I Uninstall I delete any folders in the directory as well I have more error's to report if there is any way to fix the lag in the later parts of the game like the nodes and before senshock with the Greater Temple Ogre Chieftin going in betweeen senshock and there is a major lag and freeze, if there is any way to smooth out the transitioning as if you were in town for example Verbobonc is a new area and screen transitioning is fairly smooth homlet as well. I realize fixing a lot of errors is not possible if the scripting is too complex but perhaps there is a bug causing this lag because I notice it on the on modded version as well. This may not seem like much but I was wondering if the paladin lay on hands ability could be fixed not the part where I can use its ability like a cure spell and hold the wand over the lower portrait box but whenever I use the ability it seems to have a bug when doing so and switches the person casting the ability to a non paladin even? Well I would like to report future occurences and I do appriciate everything being done by all the wonderfull modder I do so please accept my humble submissions thank you!

Our Host!