Zaxis and leveling up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Nov 21, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Has anyone had a problem giving Zaxis more spells when he levels up?

It's not happening in my game.

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

He doesn't get new spells at level 6. He is supposed to get Intimidate class ability, but I don't think that works. I don't see it on the radial menu.

You can check the ToEE Manual for spell progression.

3. Scryler

Not in the game right now, so can't check the character, but by spell progression, I assume you mean that his CHA level isn't high enough? Because the manual, if I'm reading it correctly and in the right place, shows he should get 1 more spell.

There is a LOT to remember in D&D. :blegh:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. Basil the Timid

Between 5th and 6th level, no new spells are learned. However, a 6th level Bard does get one new 2nd level spell slot (usage per day).

Charisma affects
    a) bonus spell slots (sorcerors and bards)
    b) whether character can learn spells at that level.

So, unless your character has relatively low charisma, I believe the likely reason for your query is that your bard just hit 6th level. (I remember myself bitching because I got NOTHING at that level - no spell, no intimidate class skill).

P.S. D&D overwrites (totally or partially) knowledge of most other hobbies in brain-disk space. Resistance is Futile! (ah, Star Trek is an obvious exception)

5. Scryler

Ah! I see what you mean. Is that normal? Now I'm going to have to look at the spell progressions for all the classes. Why would "they" not allow a class to gain spells when leveling up?

Also, I don't see where the manual shows any spells at higher levels. They stop at various levels for various classes, but none, IIRC, go above L6. Why is this? Is it arbitrary or is there some reason? :confused:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Bards are not proper arcane spellcasters: they're magical musicians who get to wear armour, use shields, weild longswords and get various other advantages that true arcane spellcasters don't. Hence their spell-casting ability is somewhat restricted.

7. Basil the Timid

Regardless of the various Bard bugs, I would like to recommend to Shiningted that Zaxis levelup to 8th before switching to Fighter. This way the fractions of the BAB, Reflex and Will saves are eliminated. Besides, the +2 Inspire Courage is working now.

8. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

The game was originally level-capped at 10. The manuals reflect that. There was no way a character could cast spells of level 6.

Our Host!