Bard Bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MB, Jun 16, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I have also chosen not to upgrade to the latest CMF yet.

Ok, I believe I figured out the Inspire Competence requirements. You need more than 6 ranks. I got it to work at 8 ranks with a Bard/Rogue character levels 3/4. It only appeared on the Radial Menu when I increased Perform above 6 ranks (not sure about 7).

It otherwise performs normally, except that the red tab on the upper left corner of the protrait shows Inspire Courage instead of Inspire Competence.

2. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Didn't think to check the level of the skill. I think Perform probably was above 6, though.

3. Everian

Everian Member

Finally i got inspire competence at LV 4. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  4. Basil the Timid

Then it appears that SEVEN ranks of Perform are required.

5. Basil the Timid

I'm a bit confused by Fascinate and Intimidate. Zaxis is now 7th level Bard and seems can only fascinate 1 opponent rather than 3.

How does the Intimidate class skill work (or not work)? Should it appear on the radial menu?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  6. shadow5

shadow5 Member

The intimidate skill will only work as a dialogue option therefore is pretty much useless for an NPC.I dont know about the fascinate power as I hardly ever use bards.

7. Basil the Timid

Actually, I meant Intimidate, the Bard class ability

8. shadow5

shadow5 Member

My bad,sorry.

9. Basil the Timid

So, what is the current status of the Bard?

Am I correct in remembering that the Inspire Courage +2 now works as does Inspire Greatness?

Can anyone confirm that Fascinate works on only one enemy, or is it just me?

I think we can all agree that Inspire Competence requires 7 (rather than 6) Perform ranks.

Anything else?

10. Basil the Timid

Inspire Greatness does not appear in my Radial Menu at Level 9 Perform 12 ranks

Edit: OK, that requires 13 ranks. And we also know that Inspire Competence requires 7 ranks rather than six.

Is it clear that Intimidate class ability does not work?

Can these be fixed?

Edit: The Inspire Greatness competence bonus to hit does not seem to appear unless Inspire Courage is also active, but then the latter's morale bonus does not appear. Inspire Greatness' temporary hit points do function. The eye candy does not seem to go away, leaving a ring of tiny yellow bubbles around the character's head. Any ideas on any of this?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  11. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

There are plenty of skills you can't have NPCs use. You can't have NPCs use social skills, and you can't have them open chests, or disarm traps. So if you used inspire competence on Otis, and then tried to do something using a skill NPCs can't use, that might explain the problem.

As to the number of ranks you have to have to use Inspire competence, here's what the SRD says:

The requirements are cumulative. Bard level >= 3; perform skill>= 6. So a multi-classed bard2-rogue2 could not use it, even if his ranks in perform were pretty high.

The definition of fascination in pnp/SRD3.5: "A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to cause one or more creatures to become fascinated with him. Each creature to be fascinated must be within 90 feet, able to see and hear the bard, and able to pay attention to him. The bard must also be able to see the creature. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. For every three levels a bard attains beyond 1st, he can target one additional creature with a single use of this ability."

So it seems again that this was a trade-off in implementation. In ToEE you can only use fascinate in combat, but then, it is limited to one target even after you've achieved levels 4, 7 or 10. Seems like an acceptable compromise.

Quite honestly this is one of the most powerful abilities in the game, and has saved many a party's skin on numerous occasion. When your party is taking a beating (including from demons and dragons), the bard can sometimes just take a particularly bad-ass adversary out of the picture. True that the bard can't do anything either, but that's not a major disadvantage in combat.

There is no bardic ability of intimidation. There is only an intimidate skill and it is only usable via dialogue in ToEE. Also, this skill is not among those Bards learn easily (it is a cross-class skill for Bards, which is logical since they use persuasion and rhetoric, not threats...).

I have almost always used bards in my parties, and have never been able to use fascinate, or inspire greatness, in more than one target. Guess it's the way it has been implemented.

12. Basil the Timid

There is according to the Manual. It replaced the suggestion class ability of bards in PnP 3.x. How does this ability work any differently for PCs than NPC. Or, as I asked before, does it not work at all.

13. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Yes, you're right. I do not think that this feature has been implemented, but it should be easy enough to test.

Anyone else has any info on this?

14. Masjaun

Masjaun Member

My bard can not cast a spell with out crashing the game...Any fix to this?

Our Host!