Proposal for Co8 patch 3.05

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Morpheus, Jan 20, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Kalshane -

(EDIT: actually, I just thought of something else, I could make it so only the characters that are un-damaged by a trap get experience. Right now the whole party gets experience even if only 0 members are hurt, but that could be changed.)

The problem is that if you fail to disable a trap then you get more experience than when you disable it.

In addition you can simply level up your characters by making botched attempts at disabling the traps.

The trap doesn't go away, you get experience... you heal up, and try it again.

It irks me that you are actually better off setting off traps then attempting to disarm them. Most of the traps aren't lethal, so the worse thing you can currently do is disarm them. I want rogues to be an asset not a hinderance...

In any event I will post all the code soon and I will show you how to set it to do anything you want... as in leave exp gain as is, reduce it 100% when set off, or reduce it 50% or whatever you want... it is really simple to do.

Tomorrow I should be able to post pretty much everything in a semi-finished state...

Livonya

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Ah. I wasn't aware the game awarded XP multiple times for the same trap. By the 3.5 rules it should do it once, whether disarmed or tripped and that's it, regardless of how many times it is tripped and it should be the same amount.

I have no programming skills whatsoever. Show me all the code you like, best you'll get out of me is a "huh?". :) (I mean, I can do some monkey work if given specific instructions. For instance, I've been able to make changes to my temple.dll and protos.tab using editors and instructions I've found here. But I wouldn't have a clue how to implement any changes of my own design.) I appreciate and am amazed at all the work the people here have done. I just like to put my two cents in whenever something related to the ruleset comes up, as the appeal of ToEE to me was how closely it adheared to the 3.5 rules and I like seeing that trend continue in the modding.

3. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Isn't it strange.. you get the feeling that you should swing by the Co8 boards, and there's Moebius and Zhuuge talking about a resurgence. :)

Yes. I still have 3.0.4 up on my personal web space. Yes, it is in a RCS. (revision control system). However, it can't see binaries.. The DLL changes have always been blind to it. Document What you did in Binaries well IOW...

Somone mailed me a more complex install script but I never got around to looking into it. Our is VERY basic. I wouldn't mind letting someone else having a go at it if they want something more complex.

Currently ours backs up the files we are going to change into another directory. Then installs our files.

It would be nice if I understood how to use an uninstaller script to copy the backups back into the regular dir.. but was never that motivated.

Anyway. The RCS I'm using is free for a single user, so I can't turn on Internet connectivity to it without paying.. (Something I don't want to do). I don't have a problem taking whatever files you feel are in a checkinable state and checking them in, and building a mod. Using emailed Zips as the protocol.

I would like to get any future releases out of my personal webspace though.
    (I only have 5 megs :)

BTW, anyone know of a free tga->bmp/jpg converter? (that doesn't run out after X days?)

Good to see both of you, and the rest of the community here still involved.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Welcome back, Nomad. I'm currently still working on getting all those new 3.5 items into the game (and testing if they work). The Cape of the Mountebank is nice ... When I have files to check in, I'll upload them to the forum or send 'em to you via email (if they're too big to post here).

Concerning your converter question: Have you tried IrfanView? It's totally free and can convert virtually any graphics file format into another one. Also has a nifty batch converting feature.

P.S.: I'm MORPHEUS, not Moebius. ;)

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Another simple spawning idea

. . . since you guys seem to have figured it out. Why not add stagnate Hommlett villagers to certain areas on the map? . . . for example a group of 3 standing in front of the Welcome Wench, a couple in front of the temple, and so on. As it is, the only people who appear outside are Elmo, Burne's Badgers, and the labor camp people. Kind of makes it seem like the town's under lockdown. Adult villagers, as opposed to children, would be more likely to stand there than walk/run around aimlessly, I would think. Adding them would in my view add to game immersion and would be a good combo with the running children. Doesn't sound like it would be complicated either. You could even add the little "what is it?" (non) dialogue response to them when clicked on to make them a bit more lifelike.

Kalshane, rules gurus are invaluable, so keep up the input I say.

6. Nomad_Wanderer

heh. Too close of a name. :) I got mixed up. :)

Sounds like a good idea.

7. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

How's the status so far for the changes. Can we at least state the files which have already been modded?
    I expect to be busy throughout this week or so but will have a holiday break around 9th February. Hope to be able to get some things coded in by then.

8. Morpheus

The new items will probably be in by then, so I could pass the relevant files on to you and/or Nomad_Wanderer.

Of course, just when I was getting started on protos.tab, a new project arrived (I'm working as a freelance translator) ... So my spare time is somewhat limited now. But as I said, you should see some results by the 9th.

Seems like we should dedicate our next patch to all those guys at Troika that have just been laid off ... I wonder about Steve's fate.

9. Livonya

Hmmm...

I know I said I was going to post some stuff... but I got sided tracked.

It turns out, and this is just freaking silly.

No matter what the CR of a trap the most exp you can get for disarming a trap is 105 points total... you can get 2,000 points for just opening the damn trap and taking the punishment, but if you open it 105... level 1 trap 105 points, level 7 trap, 105 points.... MAKES ME WANT TO PULL OUT MY HAIR!!!

I am trying to find a solution for this as I find this just silly as all hell.

At this point I have 4 new traps in the game and have added 2 quests and fixed a few dialogue errors. A few of the traps I have added are traps that were never actually used, as far as I can tell new animations as well.

Okay back to the hunt...

Livonya

10. Nomad_Wanderer

I do have the 3.0.4 in a code control system. Any files you post here, I'll check into the codebase and deploy.

The issue is what do we want to put into a release. How much or how little.

I look to you guys for that. I'll just check in the files, and deploy it. The revision system will allow us to back out files to previous states, in a relatively painless manner.

11. Longarms

Longarms Member

Is this thread for suggestions for the 3.0.5 co8 patch?

I have two suggestions... the first is really easy (I think!)

1. Add the maximum amount of sling bullets possible to the inventory of a few of the shops. Slings are pretty good weapons because they add STR bonus to damage rolls unlike bows...

2. Fix magic stone so that it creates bonus sling bullets in your inventory. That way "magic stone" can be slinged. Slings are awesome in the right hands, this could make a druid really powerful.

12. Morpheus

STATUS UPDATE:

- integrated latest fixes by moebius2778 into the Co8 mod pack
    - added Shiftyjim's items (and Goongyae's Cape of the Mountebank)
    - light/heavy crossbow & longbow range modified (however, this doesn't seem to fix the bug where skeletons wielding crossbows get Attacks of Opportunity)
    - added zhuge's sickle (needs new icon, forum link is corrupt)
    - shuriken/masterwork shuriken modified (according to suggestions by Pebz & zhuge)
    - wand of fear: number of charges fixed (was 2, is now 20) *
    - Bracers of armor +5 now non-lootable by NPCs *
    - Spugnoir's extra crafting feats (introduced by 3.0 mod pack) removed *
    - Serena got a "half_share_money_only" flag (how do I make her stop looting completely?)
    - Masterwork Maul weapon type changed from greatclub to warhammer *
    - various GUI typos fixed (e.g. Craft Wonderous Items -> Craft Wondrous Items)
    - all wands now have a OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP flag *
    - figured out how to spawn creatures in the Arena map

* these should already have been in Co8 3.04, according to the readme (???)

TO DO:
    - add brewable potions by Pebz (forum link is broken)
    - adjust Ghaleb Dur properties
    - fix wrong blue villager garb texture for male humans (need Beaujim's texture fix, forum link is corrupt)
    - create a quest involving the Arena (any suggestions?)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  13. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

Morpheus, you da man...can you let me know how you spawn creatures. I've been adjusting the random encounters to make sleeping more dangerous, but I can't figure out how to have a baddie appear from nowhere. I'd like to test my PC's against 2 of 3 balors or something as stupid as that...

14. Morpheus

Thanks, but my scripting skills are very limited. Livonya's mod is much more complex and impressive. Here's an early version of my Arena mod, by the way: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1293

If you absolutely want to test your party against a group of balors, you could edit the file py00922master_of_the_arena.py (Temple of Elemental Evil\data\scr) with notepad. Look for the script that starts with "def spawn_owlbears( attachee, triggerer ):" and replace proto ID 14579 with 14358.

15. Livonya

fixed problem

Last night I managed to fix the problem with Skeletons getting Attacks of Opportunity while using crossbows.

There are two ways to fix this, I went with a slightly more complex version... but it is nicer than the simple fix.

My fix removes Attacks of Opportunity for skeletons with crossbows but also improves their AI so that they will take 5 foot steps before firing so they avoid getting hit by Attacks of Opportunity. I also modified the code a bit so 50% of the time when a skeleton appears with a spear they might actually get a long spear, and in this case they also take 5 foot steps so that they can take advantage of their reach attacks. This adds some nice variety.

It works really well. And I don't think there are any problems, but it will need some testing of course.

Also, after doing this I believe I can fix the problem with gnolls getting damage resistance... but I need to play around with that first.

As for the simple fix for skeletons getting Attacks of Opportunity when using crossbows...

The problem was not the crossbows but the skeletons. The skeletons also have natural attacks. If you remove their natural attack then you remove their ability to take Attacks of Opportunity with crossbows (and any other range weapon that should not get an Attack of Opportunity). However, the downside in that case is that the skeleton no longer has any attack when unarmed.

I think the more complex fix is nicer as it leaves the skeletons with natural attacks, which they should have, and it also vastly improves the AI for the skeletons when they are using crossbows.

Anyway, I will post all the code for my complex fix soon. Probably tonight.

Livonya

Our Host!