Kids back in Hommlet

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Livonya, Jan 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I was able to put the kids back into Hommlet.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get them to walk around. Currently they just stand about.

I have a feeling that the only way I can get them to move is by editing the maps. Not sure about that though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Also, does anyone know which portraits look like kids? I am not sure if the original portraits were included or not...

Any help on this would be helpfull...

Currently I am dong the following modifications:

1) added a quest to get Brother Smyth to sell mater work items

2) I am attempting to put the kids back into the map (this is working but I don't like them just standing about

3) I am adding more difficult traps and locks in order to make rogues more useful... I haven't completed anything with this, other than making sure I could do it. I know how to do it, I just need to actuall put in the time.

thanks

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

You managed to bring the kids back? That's a great achievement ... how did you do it?

I have no idea how to make them move, but maybe if you have a look at the "wandering" characters you meet in Hommlet (like Elmo and the Budgers), you can figure something out.

I also like the idea of having to finish a quest before Brother Smyth sells you masterwork items. Always thought it was too easy to get them from him.

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

At last some activity. Very nice suggestions there Livonya.
    I would love to see a quest to make masterwork items available. I would make it fairly difficult though and perhaps not available till mid game so that players wouldn't abuse crafting and MW items so much.

On kids, are you adding them by using Agetian's spawner? Or are you following the instructions in his other thread and spawning them through scripts? The only kid portrait in the game I can think of is Eddie and even then I think players have commented that he doesn't look much like a kid.
    As for movement, I've looked through the py scripts but couldn't realy find much. There are probably some coordinate commands here and there but I've never really tried them out, for example
    attachee.standpoint_set( STANDPOINT_NIGHT, X )
    attachee.standpoint_set( STANDPOINT_DAY, X )
    The movement stuff might be attached to .mob files as you say. Elmo moves back and forth in Hommlet on a predetermined path but I couldn't find anything in his .py script.

Are you adding the traps to temple doors? Chests?

Really look forward to seeing this materialize. All the best.

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I have been working to make TOEE harder... in truth I have yet to play it all the way through because it is too easy. Putting the kids back in was just practice... in my game I have made the monsters tougher (no extra hit dice, but larger hit dice) and also increased all conversation tags (diplomacy, bluff, etc..) so that conversation skills are harder and less easy to attain. I love bards and want to feel that my bard isn't a wasted character...

Here is more details on the 3 things I am working on currently:

1) The quest for the Master work items was simple... Brother Smyth doesn't want to make master work items for just anyone. He only wants to sell them to those he feels are worthy... bad for business to sell them to dirt farmers and such.

So he will only make the items if you bring him the head of a giant. I created an object that looks close enough to a giant's head and placed it in the inventories of the giants... you bring the head, he makes the good stuff.

I will also soon add a way to get around getting the head via dialog, though I am not sure about how exactly... I don't want master work items to be available until the characters are level 3 so I don't want an easy work around.

For the most part this quest is done.

2) Putting the kids back in....

I am adding the kids by spawning them through the heartbeat in the py/pyc files. I then created a dialog file. Really quite simple. If I could get them to run then I could do something that I did in NWN. I made an area in NWN where a gang of kids would run around screaming and they would steal coins from you. They all looked the same, and you could never figure out which on was the thief... but if you had a high enough dexterity you could eventually catch the thief and prevent it from happening again... but it doesn't work if I can't get them moving... oh well.

I have tried everyhing to get them to move... I actually did get them to move, but it doesn't work as intended.

I created a script in the PY00228kids_off.pyc that keeps them in the game, and gets them to move... but it works weird. They teleport to the new location then proceed to walk back to the original spot... not sure why... plus I think children should run, rather than walk... but the only way to get them to run is to run off and disapear... not exactly the goal.

Eventually I will give up and just spawn them in the grandmother's house and change her dialog a bit.

This is what I used to get them to move...

def san_heartbeat( attachee, triggerer ):
    game.global_vars[600] = game.global_vars[600] + 1
    if (game.global_vars[600] == 0):
    attachee.move( location_from_axis( 680, 520 ) )
    game.global_vars[600] = 1
    return RUN_DEFAULT
    if (game.global_vars[600] == 21):
    attachee.move( location_from_axis( 690, 510 ) )
    game.global_vars[600] = 22
    return RUN_DEFAULT
    if (game.global_vars[600] == 40):
    attachee.move( location_from_axis( 685, 500 ) )
    game.global_vars[600] = 41
    return RUN_DEFAULT
    if (game.global_vars[600] >= 60):
    game.global_vars[600] = 0
    return RUN_DEFAULT

return RUN_DEFAULT

3) Making traps and locks...

I am doing this via dialog options and heartbeat functions. It is quite simple to make locks and traps part of the dialog. For instance I will make it so that Lareth's diary has a lock on it and it will require a rogue to open it in order to read it. Plus I will add ways to pay NPC rogues to open them for a fee.

I think I also know how to make teleport traps and ground traps, again via dialog... the hearbeat function is pretty useful and there are ways to do cool stuff using those pyc files.

4) Also, one last thing... game.global_vars and game.global_flags are NOT unique to each save game. They seem to effect the game as a whole, so you have to be careful about how you use them. If you set one of them to 1 then that variable will be 1 in all games everytime you play... at least that is how it works for me. So I try to use them in ways in which they will loop back over time.

I have a lot of plans, time will tell what I get done....

Our Host!