make your npc's level like pc's

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by sir_toejam, Jun 19, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

Heyall.

this mod to the levelup.tab file will allow you to level up npc's that can willingly join your party just like your pc chars.

I wish i could say this has been tested by others, but the few i sent it to have not responsed as to whether they found any problems with it (so i assume they didn't). I tested it with 3 npcs and found no problems; all level up just like a pc, allowing me to pick skills, feats, spells, etc. I tested it with both the old and the new patches (2.0 plus co8 3.02), so it should work with any version of toee.

I hope this will encourage folks to explore more of the npc options in the game.

post here or pm me at the atari forum if anyone finds problems.

notes: just extract it to your data/rules directory (overwrite any pre-existing; create the directory in your main toee directory if it does not already exist).

cheers

p.s. I think its possible that the "default" entry will cover those cases of npc's that do not join willingly (suggested critters and such). let me know if it does/does not.

edit: yup a quick test of recruiting the hill giant in emridy and doing the usual, then leveling him results in pc type leveling. therefore, this should work for every npc you can get into your party by any means.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

With the zipped levelup.tab, it works like a charm.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I guess this may just be the end of our NPC levelling woes. Most excellent work. :) :)

EDIT: Wonder what happened to the other previous posts?!

3. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

ok, i have also tested this with old savegames that already have npc's with some "normally" gained levels, and it works for the next level they gain. In other words, the next level any of your npc's gain will be just like your pc's (you can manually pick skills etc.)

so you don't have to start a new game to use it.

I also tested the uploaded file (downloaded and overwrote the one in my directory) and it works fine.

cheers

4. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

the previous posts were deleted by me because changing the uploaded file type is not supported correctly on the board (it shows a different file but still links to the original). I then tried deleting the old file to completely replace it, but the board wouldn't let me do that either (when i deleted the old file, it wouldn't let me upload a new one). so i had to resort to either making a duplicate thread (confusing) or just start over. I opted for the later.

sorry for any confusion, maybe you could pass this along and see if the board is working correctly? maybe something is fubar on my end.

5. Sir John

Sir John Member

This is really cool, THANK YOU!

6. korr23

korr23 Member

thaaaaank you!
    (Spugnoir, come here!)

7. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

you all are most welcome.

8. shoes

shoes Member

Does the file need to be edited to change the feats that get upgraded, or does the having the file allow the leveling up during the game to be done like the PCs?

To clarify, does the file include the feats and skills in order of automatic upgrade, or does the file's existance force the game to make the character manually level up like the PCs are done during the game.

Thanks.

9. SGT Jones

SGT Jones Member

Is this file corrupted? I can't seem to get it to d/l without giving me an error message when I try to extract it.

10. zhuge

Sir_Toejam redid the changes to the levelup.tab file and posted to file to me. Here it is for download. Just tested and the attachment works fine. No corruption.
    Please test if you are able to level up NPCs manually as mentioned in the thread. Confirmation is appreciated.

Attached Files:

11. CODEX

CODEX Member

Levelling for Hruda aka Murfles still works as normal for a NPC i.e. can't level as a PC.

I made some changes to Hruda's line in the tab file which appear to have had the desired result (pure guesswork). File attached.

However so far this is the only NPC I come across that's had this problem.

Attached Files:

12. zhuge

Tested levelup.tab from levelup_hruda.zip
    Tested with leveling up Spugnoir and Elmo with the levelup console command. Seems Ok. I still get to choose stuff like when I'm leveling up a PC. Tested on Otis (who is already level 10) to see if any untoward happens. Result: levelup console command does nothing (probably because it doesn't operate on characters at level 10).

Sir_Toejam can't test the files because of some software issues so I hope board members here can do the tests for other NPCs can inform us of any errors.

13. SGT Jones

SGT Jones Member

Thanks, zhuge.

Works with Fruella.

14. Revenant

Revenant Member

Excellent thing, sir_Toejam.

Can you please tell me, what changes did you make in the file to behave as such?

I compared it with the file extracted from original datafile and did not spot any differences (maybe some feats changes, but it do not explain different system of levelling, or am I wrong?)

15. zhuge

Quoting changes made by Sir_Toejam for levelup.tab:

"once you have a levelup.tab file, use a standard text editor, go to any row, find where the feats data starts. there should be 3 tabs between the last attribute listing and the first feat listing for each row. go to the first feat listed in a row, move the cursor to the very beginning of the feat, and backspace over the third tab (i think this effectively deletes the entry for "column 3" and moves the 1st feat into it). for every npc you do this to, they will now level just like any other npc. note this won't work if you just enter the value for a feat in column 3 using phalzyr's protos editor."

Our Host!