TOEE Level Cap Remover Version 0.10

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by duggelz, Jul 18, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. moebius2778

moebius2778 Member Veteran

re:

Scather and Fragarth are suspected to be buggy already. Umm... zhuge? Did those bugs ever get confirmed one way or another?

And I remember something about walking through locked doors ... temple level 2. Once again, suspected bug. Don't know if it got confirmed.

Forge Ring (and Craft Staff at level 12) were feats I re-enabled when playing around with the feat table, but never actually added in the correct set of affects for them. I'll have to note it down in the read.me, or actually add them in.

Okay, no crash on the register, and I usually don't play with NPCs... so I'll go recruit some and see if I can reproduce the bugs. Umm... Meleny and Riana are the only NPCs you've used?

2. Siglorel

Siglorel Member

Locked doors on level 2

I've noticed a locked door on level 2 of Temple that I can't unlock with rogue or knock - though maybe I've not got the commands correct. However...

DD into the room (viewed with Calirvoyance) left my wizard inside, so I rested to get another DD... During the subsequent encounter I noticed that the wizard could freely cast and fire through the door, and that a dead enemy body interpenetrated the door.

Hope these effects help your debugging...

3. Shiftyjim

Shiftyjim Member

Moebius, just wondering if you had any idea how difficult it might be to add the Craft staff and Forge ring feats?

I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be any different to the Craft Rod or Craft wondrous item feats but just with a different title.

I'm only asking because I've generated a whole heap of new rings and staff's that I was going to post and see if I could get into a future patch.

I did some new items a while ago as the CO8 guys wanted to add more stuff that was craftable. Not sure if they were/are going to use them but if I post them it's simple enough for people to add them to protos.tab themselves.

Thanks in advance!!

4. moebius2778

I suspect it's fairly straightforward, but I don't know. I haven't looked. I'll try to look in the next day or two.

Actually, my main worry is that I'm running out of free space to stick extra code in. I think I've got oh... 200 or so bytes of free space due to the re-writing the maxTargets function... but I'm not sure how much more space I can canibalize before I have to add a new segment. Which I can, I'd just prefer to avoid doing that.

5. moebius2778

Forge Ring and Craft Staff

You'd think it'd be straightforward, but no. Unforunately the limit of seven item creation feats is hard coded into the DLL. Changing this took some doing. And Craft Magical Arms and Armor more or less has to be the last one.

Anyways, it's in. Go wild. As always, it's temple.zip - once again, there's a bunch of other changes, including the metamagic stacking change, so read the read.me - especially the first bit. I didn't actually include any items for it to create in the item_creation.mes included with temple.zip, but for fun I stuck 4233 and 4234 under Craft Staff, and 6082, 6083, 6084, 6088, and 6089 under Forge Ring. They show up fine. I assume they create fine as well, I only tested Forge Ring. (In retrospect, using a Sorcerer to test item creation feats was not one of my brighter ideas.)

Also, someone should update help.tab further. I wrote a basic description of Forge Ring and Craft Staff, but didn't hook them in anywhere, so you can only get it by asking for help on the radial menu selections.

6. Shiftyjim

Shiftyjim Member

Fantastic work Moebius!! I didn't think it could be done that quickly - hope your personal life doesn't suffer too much getting all these things done.

I've just downloaded the latest temple.zip and I'm about to install it, I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks again for all your hard work!!

7. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Hey guys... is this a toggle option? I'd love to have all the latest changes in the patch, but I don't really want to go above level 10. I liked the challenge inherent for a level 10 character. I know you're going to say just don't level up, but still, I was wondering if there are any plans to allow us to switch it off.

I'm getting a new friend into ToEE and I'm hesitant to recommend the new patch, since I don't want him zooming to level 15 before the end and having a different experience.

8. moebius2778

re: level cap

Just don't level your character past level 10.

Alright, alright, I'll be helpful. New version of temple.zip has a starting switch that allows you to set the maximum level you want to be available. So "toee -maxlevel 10" will "remove" the level uncapper. (And by "remove", I mean remove the effects of. It actually only changes the bit where it checks if you've reached the maximum level or not.)

Granted, this is about as effective as choosing not to level your character past level 10, but at least you can stick it in a batch file and ignore it. More transparent or something.

9. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Thanks moebius! I wasn't really expecting a reply, but this is great! You guys are the sh*t. :)

This got me thinking that maybe for the final iteration of the patch you might consider putting a toggle on a few of the options that are easy to switch on and off -- level cap is a great example. That is, if such a toggle is possible... maybe in a setup splash before you start, I don't know. I'm no programmer-- you can tell by my unresonable requests!!

Anyway, consider including them in the final version just as icing on an already tasty cake. I've never seen a group more capable than you guys, and I'm so grateful you're doing all you can to make this game FUN.

10. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

well, the higher level spells dont exist yet, but what of higher level crafting? The max enchantments you can put on items are based on your level quite often, do those increase appropriatly?

11. Maltese Falcon

Maltese Falcon Member

magic misiles

i just installed the game again yesterday(after a long time of keeping it on the shelves) because i saw the new patches... however, i also noticed after installing the patches - both the 2.0 and the co8 3.04 patch...and i decided to go with the level cap remover too.... i too made a lvl 1 sorceres... and i when im casting magic misiles it read "1/-511" and i can click alot.... but as soon as its cast, the game crashes to desktop or the spell "fizzles" and nothing happens...if however i do manage to cast the misiles the game turn freezes and nothing happens...

12. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Make sure you also download the latest temple.dll (http://www.jadri.com/temple.zip). It is updated regularly and contains several bugfixes. It's possible that moebius already took care of that problem.

13. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Just want to know if we've got to the bottom of that 511 Magic Missile problem. Somehow it appears that another player has encountered it:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=423914

I tried to reproduce, but couldn't... it certainly doesn't crash on me and lots of other players have tried but never encountered it... (there must be something in common with all 3 cases... wonder if they installed the files correctly... or if there's really something bugged going on)

Just hope we can arrive at some explanation. Thanks.

EDIT: Might be some corruption problem if a particular save repeatedly crashes (ToEE is known to have these kind of weird untraceable problems especially nearing Belsornig, in which case it's not our fault)...

Or it could be a saved file incompatibility problem where a change invalidates previous saved files... I doubt this is the case though as I tested with previous saves and had no problem... just throwing out ideas... as I'm not sure what's the problem (assuming there is one).

14. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

I believe the interaction between FireShield and Scather/Fragarach's additional hits is bugged and may even lead to crashes or lockups.

The walking through locked doors bug was also reconfirmed recently by Atari community testers. Perhaps it's just certain doors and the way they are placed on the map.

15. Dark_Shadow

Dark_Shadow Member

when i try to cast magic missle i get 1/-511 hover at my curser and i can click up to 156 magic missles at one target but then crash. So now i dont us that spell which is a pain

Our Host!