The weirdest report I'll ever make

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Aug 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

A very funny (but bad) thing was discovered during the course of creation of ToEE Modding Studio. Today, the Spawner Mod ceased to work for me for unknown reasons after I reinstalled ToEE. Whatever caused that is beyond my understanding right now. I tried installing the Spawner Mod to 12 different computers today, all of them had ToEE v2.0 installed (either with or without Co8, which doesn't have anything to do with the Spawner directly). On eight computers the Spawner Mod worked fine, on three it didn't work at all, and on the fourth it ceased to work after the first time it started. I'm sure that in all cases the game recognizes the dummy MOB files and puts them in the map cache (correctly), but it doesn't compile the scripts sometimes. I double checked the protos.tab, the script syntax, the MOB files, and the game cache - and it's the same on every computer, but sometimes the game compiles the scripts and spawns everything just fine, but sometimes it fails to compile the scripts (*.pyc files don't appear) and therefore nothing is spawned.
    As I stated before, the reason of such strange occurences are beyond my understanding and the understanding of my team. Currently I'm investigating this strange thing and I hope I'll be able to find out the problem and hopefully sort it out.
    The first thing to do will be the revival of the Spawner Mod on my own PC.
    As soon as I find out something more exact, I'll make a post (but maybe it won't happen until the 2nd of September if I'll be away from my home town...)

Anyway, have fun. If anyone has any reports on the Spawner Mod, I'll be very glad to hear them. Perhaps our combined efforts will help make the Spawner better and sooner.

Take care!

- Agetian

2. Raaagh

Raaagh Member

Did you have any files in the root TOEE directory? I found that the game can now recognize files from that directory!

3. Agetian

No, I don't think so, but my current theory is that the game simply recognizes a certain file that contradicts with the Spawner Mod (maybe a protos.tab or something else) too. It's strange that everything goes fine except for script compilation, because I can spawn the dummy object IN the game (e.g. type game.obj_create in the game console), but the script simply won't compile (double checked again that the script is linked to the heartbeat event and all that).

Weird.
    I found out that on one of the computers the Spawner Mod didn't run well because there was a protos.tab file in the root directory of ToEE. The reason for it not to execute on two more PCs and (currently) on my PC is yet to be discovered.

- Agetian

4. Agetian

I MADE IT!!
    There is a slight bug in the current version of the Spawner Mod
    that messes with the X and Y coordinates in certain map MOB files, causing
    the Spawner not to spawn stuff correctly afterwards. One of the
    affected maps is the Hommlet Exterior, which both I and my two
    teammates tried to run when the Spawner failed. The bug is already
    fixed, but I don't have a stable version of the Spawner to release
    yet. I'll be releasing the first Public Beta of the ToEE Mod Studio
    in about a week (maybe a little more, though... depending on how