How to remove weapon glow!

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Pebz, Jul 3, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pebz

Pebz Member

This is bound to make someone happy :)

Open your "...\The Temple of Elemental Evil\data\art" folder (won't be there without the Co8 patch, in which case you have to create it) and create a new folder inside it named "meshes".

In the meshes folder make a new (empty) .txt document (right click, New -> Text Document*) and rename it to any (make one for each if you don't like any of the weapon glows) of these:

wg_acid.mdf
    wg_fire.mdf
    wg_shock.mdf
    wg_cold.mdf
    wg_holy.mdf
    wg_unholy.mdf
    wg_law.mdf
    wg_chaotic.mdf
    wg_bane.mdf
    wg_magic.mdf

You will now notice that those effects will no longer glow ingame :D

* Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is not selected ("Tools -> Folder Options -> View" in Windows explorer)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2004
  2. Pebz

Pebz Member

If anyone wants to mix colors (i.e make normal magic weapons glow white), the orginal files are found in ToEE1.dat, just rename appropriately (i.e wg_holy.mdf to wg_magic.mdf).

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

We could incorporate these changes as well into the main mod pack if enough people agree that seeing the glow on a weapon is a dead giveaway... or an optional one if most people prefer it the way it is.
    Personally, I've no problems with taking the glow away. What's the point of the detect magic spell anyway if you can apparently see that the weapon is glowing like a torch already.

4. Simoom

Simoom Member

I can't seem to get this to work.

Do you have to start a new game? Will it work with saved games?

5. Pebz

Pebz Member

Should work with saved games (worked for me atleast).

Can you explain exactly what you did? Perhaps my instructions aren't clear enough.

6. Simoom

Simoom Member

I opened the Temple of Elemental Evil\data\art folder and created a new folder called meshes.

I then created new .txt documents with the following titles:

wg_acid.mdf
    wg_fire.mdf
    wg_shock.mdf
    wg_cold.mdf
    wg_holy.mdf
    wg_unholy.mdf
    wg_lawful.mdf
    wg_chaotic.mdf
    wg_bane.mdf
    wg_magic.mdf

I am pretty sure I followed your instructions exactly. I did it several times and could never get it to work.

I am sure there is something very simple that I am either not doing or that wasn't listed in your instructions...

7. Shiftyjim

Shiftyjim Member

Simoom, I followed Pebz instructions just as you did and haven't had any problems but I've just had a idea that may explain why its not working for you.

Do you have the "Hide extensions for known file types" option enabled under folder options?

If you do then the files you created will appear on screen as "wg_****.mdf" but will in fact be saved as "wg_****.mdf.txt" and would therefore not work.

8. Simoom

Simoom Member

Ah, yes, that was the problem.

Awesome. Thanks.

9. Pebz

Pebz Member

Ah, I didn't think about that :ashamed:

I'll edit my original post so no one else has to suffer :)

10. Shiftyjim

Shiftyjim Member

Sorry, just noticed one more thing. "wg_lawful.mdf" should in fact be "wg_law.mdf".

11. Pebz

Pebz Member

Just testing if anyone would notice :blush:

Fixed.

12. Leimrey

Leimrey Member

Greetings, I understand that I am performing a feat of Thread Necromancy (bumping a thread from 10 years ago is not something any mortal can achieve), but still, I thought it might be better than to make a new thread just for my one single (probably) inane question.

The thing I wanted to ask is: is it possible to remove not only the weapon glow as per the instructions above, but also the elemental and axiomatic/chaotic/holy/unholy on-hit weapon effects?

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can remove any particle effect if you're willing to put in the work to track it down to its source, which will usually be in an object's .mdf file in art/meshes. The above method probably isn't ideal btw, as it would disable all effects in the file. (It's possible only weapon glow is handled in those files. I haven't looked.) The best thing to do is edit the file with a hex editor and break the instances of the referred particle effect one by one, by for example misspelling them.

14. Leimrey

Leimrey Member

Thank you for your reply, I have already tried looking in the art/meshes/meshes.mes file for these effects, but I can't find even the aforementioned weapon glow effects, let alone the on-hit effects. Anyway, I'm no modder, so if no one has done anything of the sort before, I doubt I'll be able to figure it out on my own.

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

They'd be in the partsys.tab files in data/rules.

Our Host!