Questions about modding and unusual characters in the party?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by ShadowDragon8685, Jun 12, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Okay. Here's my question.

I know there's a Lamia in the game. My question was, is it possible to mod the game so she will attach herself to the party as a follower with NO looting characteristics?

If so, can she wear armor and stuff? Will the Lamia mesh properly accept new armor and weapons and whatnot?

If not already, would it be possible to make it do so? If so, would someone else be willing to do it, because I have NO ability in those kinds of things. I want the Lamia in the game to act like Lareth the Beautiful - if she gets beaten up badly, she'll interrupt combat and beg for her life. I - think - I can manage the dialouges and all that, if pointed at a tutorial and the proper tools.

Why? Because I like the thought of a cute lamia girl stuck in my party, indebted to them for sparing her life and rethinking her ways of evil. :p

2. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

yeah, the lamia can wear armor in her current config; not that she needs to! already has a very high ac. in any case, other than getting her to join your party, i have already modded her to be a decent npc follower (level 5 cleric/level 5 mage). you can get her to join with one of the "dominate" type spells, then let her die against other monsters, then resurect. i'm sure there is a way to make her a proper npc that will join your party like any other, but i haven't done the work on that yet. I have had the modified lamia (i changed her skin to the tiger skin too) for all of the parties i have tried. it's not hard to do, so i can do one of the following for you:

email me your protos.tab file (located in your data directory) and i will mod her to whatever you want, or read my tutorial on the atari forum to see how to do it for yourself:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=378822

cheers

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  3. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Ahhh, cool. Okay, I'll do that.

All I want is for the Lamia to start hostile, then if her HPs fall below half, beg for mercy, with a 'good' option to take her with you (somthing like "We won't hurt you. Come with us, we'll protect you," an 'evil' option "You serve me now. Serve me poorly, and you die." and a kill dialouge option "Die, monster!"

Can you make her start as Ranger 2?

Oh, somthing else I was wondering - I know that there are some sixth level spells in the game, because of the monsters that use them - can you give scrolls to those spells and put them on Burne? My wizard (with an insane INT stat) has spell level slots all the way up to 9th, and I've already confirmed that spell levels 1-5 work even at level 4.

4. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

well, i'm not sure how to make the lamia join your party voluntarily, but everything else is feasible (inlduing making her a ranger).

i can lower her resistance to dominate spells so you can get her to join that way easier. it would take some extra work to figure out how to attach a dialogue and join script to her. I don't have time for that right now.

did you want her to level like a pc-type char?

the only sixth level spell that seems to work correctly is chain-lightning. yes it is easy enough to add that as treasure or item on your starting char or for sale at a dealer, etc.

5. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Hmmmmm. Upon further testing, it seems that I can't Heighten a spell to past fifth level, even though I've got a Sixth level spell slot avaiable.

I did want to level her like a PC character, if at all possible, if not, give her a good ranger level-up scheme and give her the 'slave' looting scheme; no looting at all. (If I want her to have somthing, I'll buy it, damnit! :) )

How permanant is it? I mean, letting her die by another monster's hand, then casting Ressurect? will she last through map transitions, etcetera? (I'm gonna assume she would.)

Might as well give Burne some scrolls of chain lightning to sell, would you?

By the way, I looked at your character editor tutorial. I may yet make a party with some WIERD characters, just because... :) (I think there's a Dragon in the game. Hoooo boy, that would be fun! :p )

6. Raaagh

Raaagh Member

Woah, just when I wander in here, I find a topic I'm familiar with!

Each monster/character does have its own script file, to my knowledge. I can't remember the exact code, but there is a way to force the monster to stop being hostile to you once it drops to a certain percentage of its hitpoints. You might want to copy/paste Lareth's code onto the Lamia's script file and make a new conversation tree. Not entirely sure if it would work though, so if someone wants to give it a try, go right ahead. :)

Oh, and apologies for dissappearing abruptly last year. Amazingly enough, school ramped up really quickly last year once it started in September and I didn't have any time to work on modding. Sorry. :(

Our Host!