Problem with "Useable Item X times Per Day"

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Goongyae, Jun 19, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

In proto.tab, I created an item and made it "usable Item X times Per Day" followed by a 1 and a 0 as other items have.

I also gave it charges -1.

Unfortunately, the item is only usable once. I rest for 24+ hours and the item can't be used. Any ideas? :(

BTW, this is the first item I've created. And it didn't seem to hard, except for the awkard editor and this bug :)

Someone should add all of the items from the DM book that can be easily implemented in the game. I could do this, but I don't trust my ability to merge my changes with whoever is holding the official co8 patch one.

If someone is willing to add the DM book items, would they need any help? Actual info from the DM book, or help with art or something?

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Hmm... that seems Ok. I'll quote Rufus Atticus's changes to Rope of Entanglement:

In protos.tab for:
    {12016}{Rope of Entanglement}

Add "OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP" to col 50 (becomes OIF_IS_MAGICAL OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP)
    Add "-1" to col 59
    Add "Useable Item X Times Per Day" to col 168
    Add "0" to col 169
    Add "1" to col 170
    Add "'Hold Monster' class_sorcerer 5" to col 312

He tested it and I reconfirmed that it worked.
    Noticed that you said 1 followed by 0 instead of 0 followed by 1. Could that be the cause? Or perhaps there are some errors while entering fields. Sometimes an extra space or something innocuous may predispose to corruption.

3. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

Thanks zhuge. BTW is that short for Zhuge Liang?

I had the 0 and 1 in the right order. The problem was that I had to actually sleep - choosing Pass Time for 24 hours doesn't allow the item to work again. Another TOEE bug. Sigh. Cloak of Arachnidia has the same problem. I wonder if you could sleep 1 hour and use it and repeat and end up using it 24 times per day.

[edited] I'm listing the item in a new post.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  4. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Very nicely done. Hope to see more. :)
    I do have one small gripe though. I would prefer that you code
    Col312 as 'Dimension Door' class_sorcerer 4 instead of
    'Dimension Door' class_wizard 7

because this is the way it appears to be coded for:
    {9123}{Scroll of dimension door} in protos.tab

The number is a measure of level of the spell rather than the level of the spellcaster needed to execute the spell.

As for my nick, I took the handle Zhuge Tzarn Xing more than half a decade ago when I was once a Heroes of Might and Magic fanatic. I mainly did records, reviews at Astralwizard and articles on tactics/strategy, for example: Roland's campaign at http://www.angelfire.com/ak/heroesforever
    But now the Guild has disbanded and I've well... moved on to other things ever since HoMM4 was released. Perhaps one day I will return to doing TBS again but for now let's concentrate on our TB CRPG.

5. Shiftyjim

Shiftyjim Member

I've just added the Cape Of Mountebank as posted by Goongyae and it works fine but I'm having a problem trying to add some other items.

I've added the Helm Of Teleportation (as mentioned by Shin a while back) but I can't get it to have 3 charges per day as in the rules.

The best I can do is one charge per day as follows

Col 59 = -1
    Col 168 = Useable Item X Times Per Day
    Col 169 = 0
    Col 170 = 1

I've tried changing Col 59, 169 & 170 but if I do then it doesn't work at all.

Do you guy's know if theres something obvious that I'm missing or am I trying to do the impossible?

Our Host!