Turning off the end slides

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ax Thrower, Mar 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

... just a thought along the lines of future modification.. Is it possible to turn off the end slides and have any new content that people develop on their own be based after the completion of the initial module... after all it would give us the ability to continue the development of characters that might be able to be used in future modules.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sure.

There are a small number of events that trigger the endslides - they will have to be individually turned off (or the endslides subroutine thing in utilities.py fiddled) but it can certainly be done.

3. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

It had occured to me that this would be a good way for people to add additional content and not have to worry about "Disturbing the Ballance" and earning the wrath of the Druid Society...

4. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

thats a great idea. it would sure let people keep going after the temple to further adventures. we should probally raise the level cap too so there is effectivly no limit to how far you can take your charcters. i wonder if there is a way to drop the charcters back in homlett after the slides to keep adventuring for those whe want to watch the slides, i dont even remember what the slides were lol. i never really paid attention to them.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This whole proposition was discussed to some extent in the Delicate Rebalancement thread. I have mixed feelings about it; while on the one hand it would help the balance issue to put the major expansions at the end, I don't see the need to do that for every little thing, particularly if a given mod is supposed to occur at some point in the story, i.e. Big 3 Ambush, Ogre Cave prespawn, etc. Plus, I have a feeling that the 'rebalancement' issue may be sort of dead anyway, without someone to champion the cause.

I'm leaning more toward what I think would ultimately be a simpler fix for this whole thing, which would be to mod VM, HB, and MHR to occur after the events of the game and then offer that as an official Co8 expansion pack (separate package/download), and leave the rest as is. Maybe then roll the rest of the CMF stuff into 5.0.0 and call it 5.0.4. That should address the bulk of the balance issues, and it might actually spare us some of these bizarre 'I don't want new content!' complaints that we get. And Al and Ted have already indicated that modding VM and MHR to suit that scenario wouldn't be too tough.

The larger question here is obviously to what extent are we going to continue to support new mods for the official modpack. I don't know the answer to that. That shouldn't stop people making them, but there may come a time when new mods will simply have to live out their lives as add-ons.

Oh and Lord_G, the current level cap of 20 is as far as the engine will go, I believe.

6. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

... honestly I got lost in that thread so stopped reading it...

I like the idea of placing those at the end and then they could be made a little harder for of course the pc's will be tougher combatants. In retrospect that is what I had asked about doing, not is so many words...

Mods could continue to be made to build upon other mods but would need to be noted that x-y-z would be needed to be installed also. But in so doing something would need to be done to give the player the option of returning to Homlet after sending the @#%#^$#^ back to where she belongs.. so the end slides would need to be bypassed somehow.

Our Host!