Unexpected side effect...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by SirFerret, Feb 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. SirFerret

SirFerret Member

Okay, so I'm playing with the new 5.0.2 and FE, voice packs, etc. My party's at the area where all the bugbears and ogre's are, down near Hedrack. I trash everything in the room, level my toons up on the fight.
    As I'm leveling, this shaman wanders up from the Ogre Chief area. No problem, I have Wonnilon with me and my Wizard's little hawk familiar. The fight is a short one, 2 rounds due to distance from the shaman for my melee's. The bird however, made it to the shaman on the first round and for the shaman's first action, he dispelled my bird. *shrug* Oh well, he had no enchantments on him anyway. Fight ends, I continue leveling up, save game.
    Next fight, a random when I'm trying to rest for new spells. Bingo, Hawk levels up.... Uhm, excuse me? How the heck did the hawk level up? Anyway, make it short, the hawk is now a level 5 Wizard and can now summon his own familiar, though he still cannot wear any items or use any weapons. *shrug* He's got a lot of HP now tho. LOL

Have fun trying to reproduce this one. Not sure if it'll work with a PC cast dispell. Perhaps I'll make a new game and find out.

Later all.

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I'd suggest you savor the moment and enjoy the ride and do not lose that saved game. It'll make a great story someday, and maybe your familiar might make one or more extra levels, too. *laugh*

3. SirFerret

SirFerret Member

Haha, he's level 9 now. What a sight, a Hawk Wizard hurling Fireballs at the enemy. *cackle*

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

he's starting to sound like a fire bird ;)

5. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

Or perhaps the Fiery Phoenix!

Go Go G-Force! :dance:

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Sure he isn't a chicken hawk?

Attached Files:

7. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I thought we told you last time Spike - pluck the chicken BEFORE barbecuing it! :smoke:

As for the original post, I think that's kind of cool - familiars having familiars has got to be good :drunk:

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can we go one week without that picture??? :yawn:

I say once your familiar starts summoning his own familiars, he's an NPC in his own right. Clear a party slot for him! :p

9. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You know, I thought I fixed that problem a long time ago. When I first added the familiar to the party roster you could immediately level them up to level one, but somehow I fixed that. It seems in this one case that fix isn't working. Pity I can't remember off hand how I fixed it. When I have time I will look into it.

10. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

There's also something like this: The familiar is a "full" party
    member when it's summoned and taken out of the pack but
    when the mage takes it to the pack and takes it out again, there's
    no portrait and it can't be controlled in combat.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ouch!

:flamed: :flamed: :flamed:

Yeah :yeaaa: ...3 times in like, 3 years is an awful lot...

Remember this one? :grin:

Attached Files:

12. Cerulean the Blue

This never happened in any of my testing, and definitely shouldn't be happening. If there is an available slot in the party line up for an NPC follower the familiar should take it.

13. SirFerret

SirFerret Member

Eh, I haven't been able to figure out how to get the bloody thing back IN my pack since summoning him. (Tried the little button I used to summon it out, which I figured would recall him, but this didn't work, neither before nor after the dispelling.)

A recap, the familiar was dispelled by an NPC prior to it being able to level up. Before that, I had gone thru about 4 levels without the familiar leveling up, then it instantly became a NPC and was able to level as normal.

14. Cerulean the Blue

Let me get this straight. You are saying that the familiar hung around without leveling up for a while, but it was after an NPC cast Dispel on it (or was it Dismissal) that the familiar started to level up?

To get the familiar back in the pack, try talking to it with a PC.

Our Host!