Bodaks in the Moathouse

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firesprung, Dec 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

Folks,

First, love the Co8 5 mod. So much fun! Back playing the game again a second time through and enjoying every moment of it!

Well, I'm dropping a post on you requesting some help with the Bodaks in the moathouse who, along with the other more sinister inhabitants, have replaced Lareth and his crew. I'm an old PnP Greyhawk guy from way back, but never encountered a Bodak. I vaguely remember their section in the old Feind Folio (?) but cannot for the life of me remember a weakness or a "work around" I might employ to avoid the gaze of death. I've blinded them with Glitterdust, but blindness does not appear to affect this save vs death stare the Bodak employs as an attack.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Firesprung

2. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

The easiest answer is the cleric spell "death ward" which protects against instant-death sorts of magics.

3. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

What level spell is deathward? Can it be cast on the party (which would seem rather powerful!)

4. Templar

Templar Established Member

I've always loved the spell Deathward, very useful in Bg2 and icewind dale in the later areas of the game.

I didn't find it as useful in TOEE because not as many mages, but now it seems the mages are a lot smarter and tougher and there seems to be a few more. I'm hoping spells like this will become more useful.

5. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

4th level cleric & paladin, 5th level druid, one cast = one person protected. So go with scrolls, or just send your one warded char. in to dispatch the bodak.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Bodaks are vulnerable to cold damage but immune to most other types of damage, cone of cold usually does the trick for me.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

A cleric with Sun domain and GreaterTurning can destroy it if it fails the save.

8. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

Great stuff, folks. I do appreciate it!

9. Yavathol

Yavathol Member

I think I've tried Death Ward, and it didn't work. If this is the case, it should probably be logged as a bug. Anyone else seen this?
    :goth: :hehe

10. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Ice storm is good, and also damages the other monsters in that encounter like the witch. A web followed by a couple of good ice storms cleans that room nicely.

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Member

Try Pg 19 MMII - Very rare. Seldom utilises a weapon, although it is 90% probable that a bodak will have one.

The gaze of a bodak, when met, causes death unless a Save V Death Magic is made.

Bodaks can only be struck by +1 or better magic weapons or cold-wrought iron ones.

They are immune to spells sucj as Charm, hold, sleep, slow

They are otherwise affected as demons are with respect to various attack forms, although poison does them no harm.

Direct sunlight inflicts 1 point of damage per round. :chainsaw:

In view of this, I am not looking forward to getting there yet! :Crazy_Tig

12. xSunchaserx

xSunchaserx Member

I have always thought of Bodaks as more related to undead creatures. If so, why are they more vulnerable to cold damage and not fire damage?

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

They are demonic forms of humans who ventured into areas of the Abyss where they did not belong. They are not more susceptible to cold damage; rather, weapons forged of iron which is wrought "cold". There is a huge difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_iron

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Bodaks are undead....
    A bodak is always chaotic evil. It is said that humanoids who die in some of the most evil places of the Abyss return as bodaks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

More Bodak Lore:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/theraven_stephenh/monsters/BODAK.html

I still didn't realize the newest rules set has them as undead; nevertheless, it is their demonic origin that appears to govern, rather than their state of unlife. In the rules that I know best, they were merely transformed, not dead or undead. Perhaps this is what happens to those lost in places like the demonweb, especially if they die there as a result of their misfortune?

Our Host!