TOEE hates me.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Astaroth, Dec 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Astaroth

Astaroth Member

Third level fighter with +2 Con bonus total of 18 hitpoints.

This has happened so often leveling up with the whole party gaining an average of two hit points on the roll, I finally had it, and now pre-save and load till I get decent hp's.

Anyone else have this problem? It seriously happens 90% of the time I level up a char.

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Even though it's a completely random roll
    the game tends to roll smaller numbers...
    I guess it has to do with probability, I mean
    it's more probable to roll from 1-6 than from
    7-10 isn't it?

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

TOEE has a special dislike for Rangers, usually I only get 1 HP at level up no matter how many times I reload.
    Thank the Gods for TOEEFE with the option for MAX HP FOR PC'S. :)

4. Shrouds

Shrouds Member

I've seriously had to reload 10+ times to get a mage to roll higher than a 1 or 2 before. I don't like using the max hit point option though. That seems a little too easy. One of the nice little quirks of AD&D is that, more often than not, 2 same level characters of the same class and constitution will have different hit point totals. This leaves me guessing how close I am to killing something every time, and adds to my overall enjoyment of the game. If I know for a fact something only has 10 hit points left and, that another volley of magic missiles will finish it off, then I get a little less satisfaction in the end.

Still, it would be nice to have another option something along the lines of rolling 10 times, then averaging a result or rerolling all 1s and 2s. Something like that would save me the trouble of reloading as often as I do now.

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Hit Shift+~ to open the console.

Type: game.party[x].stat_base_set (stat_hp_max, y)

x=the number of the party member, from left to right, -1.
    y=total hitpoints you want character to have before adjustments for Constitution, feats and familiars.

Repeat for each party member with a crappy roll.

I routinely do this to set give my characters average HP for their level if the game is rolling crappy for them.

6. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

Well, there is a skill somewhere that gives a char an addition of a few hitpoints. It is at the top of the list of skills and is translated into German (still playing the German-language version of the game) as "Abhärtung".

Since I found this particular skill, I instantly gave it the mage at the next level-up.

7. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I think it's Toughness.

8. Shrouds

Shrouds Member

That is very useful. Thanks Kalshane

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

U can also give your mage a toad, he's good for a few HP. I don't think I've ever used anything else (not even a raven).

Or occasionally use 'max hp' on the FrontEnd to even things out: if the hit dice give me a 1 I give max next level just to even the odds.

10. jeffh

jeffh Established Member

That's a feat, not a skill, and it's one of the worst ones in the game, especially if you're past first level.

I recommend rolling your hit points on actual dice and consoling in the result per Kalshane's instructions, even if it's worse than what ToEE gives you (but you'll find that to be a surprisingly rare occurence, I think).

11. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

I disagree. Toughness isn't a feat that I would take for a character with only one feat, but it is a good one for fighters with an extra feat and a need to survive past first level to get a second hit die.

At first level those thee extra hit points represent a 30 persent increase, and a good posibilty of surviving another hit rather than going down and leaving the wizard undefended to go down next, leading to a good chance of a TPK.

Once oyu've gotten leveled up a couple of times those three hit points start to seem insignificant, but remember that getting there is a prerequisit for being there, and the ability to take an exra hit at first level can be the difference.

12. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

I don't distinguish much between skills and feats ... Especially since I'm not very deep into the rule system at all. I'm actually glad I understand it as much as I do now. ;)

13. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

JerryB has a good point. taking toughness with a human fighter is a good tactic. a mage with constitution of 16 is even better. however, toughness is not something to waste as a feat after the character is 4rth level or higher

14. Featuri

Featuri Maze illusionist

I didn't notice anything that strange but I nevertheless use the following rule for my PC when leveling up :
    [if necessary] pre-save and reload until rolled HP equal at least minHP, with minHP = maxHP/next level (rounded down).

That way :
    Barbarians will get at least 6hp at 2nd, 4hp at 3rd, 3hp at 4th and 2hp at 5th/6th levels.
    Fighters/paladins will get at least 5hp at 2nd, 3hp at 3rd and 2hp at 4th/5th levels.
    Clerics/druids/rangers/monks will get at least 4hp at 2nd and 2hp at 3rd/4th levels.
    Rogues/bards will get at least 3hp at 2nd and 2hp at 3rd levels.
    Wizards/sorcerers will get at least 2hp at 2nd level.

I'm currently playing a party of 5 7-8th lvl PC and if IIRC, I haven't re-rolled more than 3 times in total.

Our Host!