Electrical Traps, Chest Traps, and Diary Traps

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Dec 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
?

Should we get rid of Livonya's traps?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2008.
  1. Yes, the electricity trap on Temple level 4 needs to go.

45.5%
  2. Yes, Lareth's diary trap needs to go.

25.0%
  3. Yes, the Moathouse chest traps need to go.

6.8%
  4. No, the electricity trap on Temple level 4 must stay.

11.4%
  5. No, Lareth's diary trap must stay.

11.4%
  6. No, the Moathouse chest traps must stay.

25.0%
  7. Yes, all the traps need to go.

13.6%
  8. No, all the traps are wonderful and they must stay!

31.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Absolutely, the ghouls and crayfish had their stuff put in chests for conwenience.

Surely to heavens to betsy to mergatroid we should:

- fix the electrical trap if it needs it

- give a few more people the password? The Curry Puff for one should have it - Paida too if u beat her to death, but if u set her free from her spell she should have forgotten it. Barkinar, Shenshock etc, all of them should know it (though getting them 'safely' to a handful of HP and willling to talk is another matter). Ditto the High Priests, all of them should have it to take you down there if u get to Greater Temple stage, though again holding them at 1-5hp and chatting to them in the midst of a bloodbath in their Temples will be the trick. And doesn't a certain someone on lvl 4 now bug out for greener pastures as it is?

I love the electrical trap, great bit of scripting!

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

@Kalshane: I compared the files you sent me to my own, and there are some differences. Either you have installed the mods not rolled into 5.0.2 (I haven't installed those yet) or you have an old version of 5.0.2, or something went weird with your install. I'm leaning toward options 1 or 3, since one of your files that is different is a stock 5.0.0 file, and was changed in the last update of 5.0.2 on 11-07-06.

Either way, none of those files should effect the control boxes in any way, so we are left with a game glitch as the only explanation. It is possible that one of the dll hacks had some effect on san_use, but I don't think that is likely. So once again I am stumped as to why this is happening.

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just finished lvl 4 and my 10lvl Rouge disarmed the trap. I have 5.0.2(11/07). In a an almost identical situation last time, I got an empty chest. Nothing has changed. I play thru lvl 4 then delete the saved games and start a new one. The Rogue disarm should work everytime. Weird.

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Weird. I'll try another complete re-install when I have the free time to do it, but that might not be for weeks with the way things have been going lately.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well then, let's have a look at the returns:

5 votes for specifically removing all the traps vs. 4 votes against. 56% to 44% advantage for.

After adding all the 'all' votes to each of the specific categories . . .

15 votes for removing the electricity trap specifically vs. 4 votes against. 79% to 21% advantage for.

8 votes for removing Lareth's diary trap specifically vs. 5 votes against. 62% to 38% advantage for.

6 votes for removing the Moathouse traps specifically vs. 9 votes against. 60% to 40% advantage against.

Despite the advantage of votes for in most categories, the only one that even comes close to unanimity is the electrical trap, and that's still got a significant block of voters against removing it. I'm not sure how many more people intend to vote here, but I don't see the trend taking any wild turns in either direction. Being as I don't see this as a question that should be decided by a 'majority rules' approach (i.e., 51% beats 49% and we do it, by god), I'm inclined to consider the question well and truly answered, with the conclusion of the community being that we should take no action on the matter.

I must admit that these results are surprising to me, as I'd swear that most everybody who suddenly swung to the side of keeping the traps had sounded off against them in the numerous other threads that come and go in the ToEE forum on the topic. At any rate, now, as new trap threads come along over there, we can point to this poll as our answer and tell them to STFU. ;)

Thanks for everyone's input! :thumbsup:

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Was that a pun? :sweatdrop

----------------------------------------
    Anyway, I voted to get rid of the 4th level
    temple trap, since it was buggy and a little
    frustrating. My rogue managed to disable it
    but I don't really know how because at first
    he wasn't able to take the dialogue option
    disable the trap and some time later he did...
    :dizzy:

7. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

I voted for only removing the 4th level electrical trap--but I should probably clarify my vote, as being "it should be fixed; short of that (or until that), it should be removed." It just seems that so many people run into it and get unduly frustrated--there's something about the implementation, even beyond the inexplicable-yet-very-real bugginess, which just isn't clicking with people on a level of fun, let alone comprehension. I like the idea, but it seems one step beyond working just now.

My $0.02!

8. Cerulean the Blue

Just make sure I was clear, I only said the lightning trap shouldn't be removed. I never said it shouldn't be fixed. I like Cujo's idea of removing the control boxes and requiring the scarabs to pass through the trap.

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Scarabs are good. Surely, the temple denizens mentioned already for knowing the password could just as easily possess one of these?

10. Cerulean the Blue

The one denizen mentioned as passing through the trap unscathed just happens to have one of those scarabs.

11. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I voted to remove the electrical trap at level 4 because it never ever felt fun, and was more of a nuisance than an obstacle (and I've never found an answer, anyway). I also voted to remove the Lareth's diary trap because it simply doesn't make sense. I'd say the Moathouse is OK though, it never felt overpowered to me.

That's my vote, guys.

- Agetian

12. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

We need more old school traps, and I mean pits in the floor filled with green slime, two ton blocks that fall from the ceiling, doors with glyphs of warding under all of that dust that makes them unable to be seen. Heck Yeah baby, rock some PC's world!

Seriously though, I think that keeping the electricaltrap but requiring scarab token to pass it in lieu of the control box is a fair compromise.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  13. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

What the big blue said.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a dead issue, but funny to see that the 'kill the traps' proposal is now getting it's ass soundly beaten in the poll. :evil_laug

15. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I guess it is sort of pointless to reply to this at such a late date.

But what the hell. I am waiting for the beta of KoTB to unpack so time I have to spend...

The electrical trap was never really finished. I had intended to flesh it out a lot more and make more ways to get past it... more ways to get the password.

It was really just an experiment. The same with the trapped diary.

More than anything I was trying to show that with creative energy a lot of new content could be added that would really change the way TOEE played.

I always figured anyone playing my mod would be a pro at TOEE and thus they could deal with my changes no matter how difficult. My biggest complaint with most games is they cater to the casual player.

Scripting for TOEE was always hard because I was mostly trying to improve my game. I started out moding just to make my game more interesting. And most of the time I really never thought about what other people would think about it.

Anyway, it was interesting to see what people thought.

- Livonya

Our Host!