Dynamically changing obj names?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Jesse Heinig, Aug 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

Is there a script command to dynamically change an object name? That is, could I append "(warped)" to the end of a weapon name if someone casts Warp Wood on it?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

To change a description? I shouldn't think so. You'll have to make a new object - most wooden things can be covered by 'stick', perhaps, replace all arrows, bolts, spears etc with a generic 'stick' of no value :)

Btw Jesse, I'm seriously impressed with what u have achieved in such a short time, but if I may make one comment - the mod help forum is for help with the mods, NOT with modding: these questions should be in the general modification forum.

3. Jesse Heinig

Oops! So sorry about that, my misunderstanding.

Based on the way Warp Wood works in the SRD, right now I just destroy all arrows, bolts, and missile weapons made of wood, and I warp (damage, -4 to attack rolls) all wooden melee weapons. I could make "warped" versions of every wooden weapon in the game, but that would be an extreme pain.

Could you or someone move this thread to the appropriate forum?

Oh, and speaking of changing item names, maybe you could get a handle to the specific object's string name and change it. It has to be possible, since you can enter custom names for items during magic item creation.

Thanks,
    Jesse.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Thread moved.

Oh, and by the way, keep up the good work Jesse. ;)

5. Jesse Heinig

Thanks very much Morpheus. :)

Next up: Circle of Death, then trying (bum bum BUM) to do some of the Wall spells.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I don't believe you can get a handle on the string name through a Python script in this game. I will do some looking this weekend, but don't hold your breath.

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I agree with CtB - I've never seen a command that would change the description of an item through Python. I'll look up some of the command lists I have, but I'm pretty much sure that it's impossible, sorry... :(

- Agetian

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I did my checking, and it doesn't seem that the object fields for description are used in the mobile objects. When the game loads them it probably puts the name of the thing somewhere else that we can't reach it. So, no luck here.

Our Host!