Orcs

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by JerryB, Jul 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

What has always bothered me, back in PnP as well as now in the computer version, is the lack of orcs.

1. You can play an elf.

2. You can play a half-elf.

3. You can play a half-orc.

4. You can play a ..... , oh, there aren't any full orc PCs.

How hard would it be, since there are Orcish models for NPCs, to modify the character creation process to allow the inclusion of a full blooded Orc as an option for a PC?

Maybe it could be done through the character editor if not through the PC creation process on starting a new game.

Sorry about all of the typos today, I'm away from home and on a laptop, and I am not so used to the keyboard.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You'd have to trash an existing race to add the new one as it stands right now. The .dll would need to be hacked for this to work otherwise, and there is now someone here with the potential for doing this. What isn't known is if they (Spellslinger) can actually do it or not; he's really just getting "warmed up" with this.

3. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

There aren't actualy any Orc models in the game, they just scaled up the half-orc model.

Cuchulainn.

4. JerryB

Well, as much as I would like to see a full orc PC, I wouldn't want to bump any others, except maybe for gnomes. :p

One other thing that just sprang to mind. Is it in any way possible to take a recruited NPC and move them over to a PC slot, to become a player character?

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If this is what you were referring to in your question, you can click-and-drag a portrait at the bottom of a screen to the right or left to change positions of characters in a party.

6. JerryB

No, I'm talking about recruiting an NPC, and when you lose a PC, wich you will most likely do with these new tougher encounters, you "promote" the NPC to a PC, filling the vacated slot and restoring your party to five PCs, still leaving three slots open for NPCs.

I don't think it's possible, but if it is possible then you guys on this board would be the ones to know.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Did you know you can use the PC Count Patcher executable found in the parent ToEE game folder from installing Co8 4 MOD or Co8 5 MOD to change the number of PCs and NPCs in a party? There is still a total maximum of eight slots for PC and NPC characters. However, you can adjust the number of PC:NPC characters from the default of 5:3 to 7:1, 6:2, 4:4, 3:5, 2:6, or 1:7.

[EDIT] I have never tried to change it to use 8 PCs and no NPCs [PC:NPC 8:0]. So, I do not know if that one works, or not.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  8. JerryB

Yeah, I knew that. But an NPC is still an NPC, and a PC is still a PC.

9. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

There isn't a way to do it Jerry, the PC and NPC objects are a different format and are treated differently by the game engine.

@Krunch - Read the posts and answer the question asked please.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I thought he did.

Jerry, with the Humble NPCs patch you can control an NPC exactly like a PC: the only difference is u can get the NPC to leave the party and stay put, whereas a PC has to be totally dismissed. (And NPCs can't be party leader).

Is there some restriction you are finding with NPCs that makes you want to do this?

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

(1) Spike answered the question with respect to "modding the game" describing why his request cannot happen.

(2) He, afterwards, referred to and asked this.
    He was already told in layman terms the data object types can't be changed and he further asked about changing "character slots". I responded about changing character slots within the game constraints of what works.

(3) He, continued, referred to and asked this.
    It read like he did not know about PC Count Patcher being able to change the number of PC and NPC characters and have more than 3 NPC characters in a party.

I thought I did answer his additional questions that he made after his initial question.

12. JerryB

Sorry about that Krunch, I wasn't trying to be confusing. I'm not sure what it is possible to do through a mod and it seems to me that you CO8 modders can pretty much do just about anything that you want in the way of manipulating the game.

I know that there are limitations to what you can do, because once in awhile somebody says that something can't be done, but I don't yet have a firm grasp on exactly what the limitations are.

If a question seems odd to you it's probably because I lack some knowlege that you don't realize that I do not have. When you are working in your area of expertise it can be easy to assume someone else knows what you are talking about, when they really don't.

13. JerryB

Thank's RUFNREDDE.

Ted, the limitation thatI ran into was that I had the default 5 PCs 3NPCs selected, and an extra PC created who I brought into the party with the inn's guestbook to replace a casualty. I had foolishly deleted all of the pe-made PCs when I created all of the PCs that I thought I would want. When I lost another PC it put me down to 4 PCs, with three NPC slots.

Since it was a saved game I didn't think that it would be possible to change the PC/NPC ratio to 4 and 4, which is something that I realise I can do at game start, but not in a game that's in progress. I figure that it's similar to choosing Alyx's shopping caravan in the beggining, and then bringing in the replacement PC. You apparently can't switch to standard equipment from the shop map after the game has started.

So anyway, I was wondering if since I had only four PCs, and five PC slots on the bottom left of the screen, if i could put an NPC in the fifth PC slot instead of an NPC position.

Now that I know that it is not possible, I'll just make sure to have more replacement PCs available by creating them with start game instead of always going straight to load saved game.

Thank's to all for the info.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well yeah u can make replacements, or you can use the PC Count Patcher to make the party 4&4. Plenty of NPCs out there :)

Our Host!