Having just recruited Cavanaugh into my party

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BTime, Jun 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. BTime

BTime Member

Re: Cavanaugh trouble

Having just recruited Cavanaugh into my party, my intent was to multi-level him from a Fighter into a Cleric. Only nagging problem I had was that his stats were nowhere to be found on any of the larger sites that cover ToEE. Upon gaining 2nd level levelling as Cleric wasn't an option, but I was able to level as a Ranger. Having brought him up to the point I can see his stats was, shall I say, disappointing. So here are Cavanaugh's sucky stats for your perusal;

Cavanaugh the Beggar
    Strength 10
    Dex 10
    Con 8
    Int 10
    Wis 10
    Chr 10

You'd think with as much beer as he's been swilling that his Con would have been a bit higher. Can you believe the Joke prisoners Ed & Ted have better stats, heck if I wanted to add a basic fighter for beef even Rainol begins to look good compared to Cavanaugh.

Looks like my group will have to kick this lump to the curb after all..

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I'd imagine he is there solely for role-playing purposes not to be the next Conan :)

3. BTime

BTime Member

So Conan had basic stats with a 14 wisdom? Constuctive comment there..

4. Zebedee

Why are you complaining about a brewer's apprentice who can end up a beggar does not make a great warrior? If he had the potential to be a good warrior, why wasn't he already one with Burne's Badgers? I can't make head nor tail of your comment about Conan; I presume it's somehow meant to be a telling argument for every NPC being stat-heavy and superbly adjusted to life as an adventurer, but I guess I'm just too tired to try and figure out what you are trying to say.

He's just there for roleplay purposes. Not every joinable NPC is going to be a fantastic asset to a party. This is one of those examples. But it does provide some opportunity for roleplay - maybe he has interesting small talk, maybe your party feel a bit sorry about totally screwing his life up etc etc.

Play nice on these boards please.

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Almost all of the normal villager type NPC's have stats of "10" in every ability. The exceptional ones are rare, and no one gets to know what they are & who has them up front. That's the 'fun' of picking one's companions wisely. Cavanaugh's lack of wisdom shows he's even less capable than most folk around the hamlet.

And beer drinking gives a person a better constitution? I think that's ass-backwards; constitution might enable one to consume more alcohol without seeming intoxicated, but only in moderation is it even speculated to be of any benefit to health whatsoever.

One last thought: Conan's stats would be higher in all categories, including wisdom; especially in his later life.

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

*best homer simpson voice* mmm.. hamlet.. a ham and cheese omelet!.. yum..

7. BTime

BTime Member

I'm more than happy to play nice on these boards. You're the one that started the Trolling with your Conan crack. All I stated was that even for an average sucky villager, Cavanaugh is arguably even more sucky than some of the worst NPC's that are readily available. Considering the few extra hoops it takes to make him recruitable it would be nice if the guy had (1) attractive stat. To date the only readily available NPC's that I'm aware of that have a decent Wisdom stat are Elmo & Fruella, and it's not likely that you'll be multi-classing them to anything else. I did see that a new Cleric NPC will be made available in the next patch, but would still be happy to see a slight chance to Cavanaugh regardless.

That's my point. Not asking for anything Uber, and also know that such a change would only be done at the whim of Co8. That's all I have to say about that =P

8. Noran the Axe

Noran the Axe Member

I'd have to agree with BTime on this one. At least one stat at a 12 would be nice for Cavanaugh. The rest can be the same. Of course, with the Co8 4.0.0 patch, you can bring him in at 1st level and keep leveling him up as a fighter (?) then boost one of his stats at level 4 in order to get him to multi-class. You'd need to keep him stocked with either potions or spells to make him useful until he was higher level. I'd personally consider it a challege as I prefer playing on the Ironman setting. Makes tactics more necessary.

9. Zebedee

I don't see why every joinable NPC must be boosted in stats to be honest. Perhaps Lord Spike could advise on how the PnP module treated him but I'm sure he'd be covered in the general villagers category.

You could argue that makes the decision to recruit him is a no-brainer. And I'd agree if you ignore every aspect of roleplay.

He's a bog standard villager who makes some serious errors of judgement and with the party's intervention can end up being a beggar. I don't see how he can justifiably be given the ability to be anything other than the most mediocre of starting adventurers.

In Hommlett (a smallish village), you already have a number of types who are more than suitable as adventurers. This place is so packed full of adventurer types already it makes you wonder how on earth evil gets anywhere close to the village - why do you want to add yet another? :)

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I would like to do a major re-write of the protos files for the npc's and some dlg work to make more of them joinable, like the widow Mathilde and Lodriss. The game could use a few fine looking babes with impressive stats. The widow makes a good looking wizard in her purple noble dress fireballing bugbears.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Zeb's right. This dude is a dud. He's a second class beer maker. And you want him far a cleric? You deserve what you get.

No stats in the module other than Level 0 / HP 5; can use a spear & shortsword - he is a normal militia man (nephew of the braumeister).

If he doesn't stick to beer, he's got nothing; and won't live long in a fight no matter what. All this fed-ex crap & his part in it was added to serve as a plot. If you want a cleric, roll one up.

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Cavanaugh is truly a dud with all 10 stats and, if you notice the storyline for quests involving him, he gets tore up a lot around Nulb getting off of the porch and running with the big dogs out in the woods.

13. wizgeorge

Most of the npc's are just fill-ins for a story line and a little dialouge, or part of a minor quest. They're not intended to be able adventurers, If there's a npc you really want to use then there are the protos files and the console. I noticed the widow Mathilde doesn't have a.dlg file in 5.0 but i've fixed that. She's a lvl 5 Wizard with great ability scores now. She's a fine looking lady, too. Much better than Spugnoir or Burne. Yes, I do cheat like hell, but I have a good time.

14. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Not sure what you mean doesn't have a dlg file in 5.0. She surely does have one, just not a modified one. The only things that are in the data\dlg folder are the dialog files that have been modded, if it has a file in that directory it overrides the original .dlg file that is located in the .dat files, hidden from view.

If you fixed that I suppose you already knew that. Your wording just confused me. I guess the only ones that should feel cheated are the rest of us if your modding and not sharing. Did you create an entirely new dialog or just modify the existing one?

15. wizgeorge

When I looked at data/dlg there was no file for the widow. I have a collection in my documents of .dlg files i've modified since 3.0.4, Liv1.5 and 4.0. I copy and paste the ones I want to use for any given game. I also have some severely modified protos that I use. I try to create the kind of game I want to play with the npc 's and pc's I want to use. I don't do super over-ablility characters unlless i'm bored and just want to fool around. Ordinary,common people with no particular skills don't become adventurers. If they do, they don't last long. If you're going to use an npc, it should be an asset to the party and fill a need/role. NONE of the npc's in the game have the right skills, feats, spells, etc. Troika really dropped the ball on npc development.

Our Host!