Correcting d20 3.5 Errors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by xeviattranion, Mar 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. xeviattranion

xeviattranion Member

As many of you know, a few aspects of ToEE utilized 3.0 rules rather than 3.5 rules (weapon finesse being one of the main problems). I've been playing with the 4.0.0 patch made by you guys, and I've been making note of some other errors:

Small weapons: ToEE still utilizes 3.0 weapon size rules (dagger is tiny, shortsword is small, longsword is medium, greatsword is large), which means small characters are forced to use the dagger to weapon finesse. This entirely kills the options for small characters. 3.5 has small weapons (weapons for small characters) and medium weapons (weapons for medium characters), but this would over complicate the game.
    Suggestion: Perhaps it would be possible to let small characters wield weapons as if they were medium. To balance this, small characters would suffer a -1 penalty to damage (typically the medium version of a weapon deals an average of 1 point more damage per hit than a small weapon).

Item Crafting Requirements: I'm sure this is a conflict on these boards as it is on the Wizards.COMmunity boards, but the game has the item crafting requirements wrong. For instance, flaming requires fireball and a caster level of 10 in the game, but the CL 10th listing on the item isn't a requirement, it is just a caster level given for pregenerated items. I'm sure there are those who won't believe this, but if you pick up one of the newer books (Races of the Dragon uses it), there is a new item format which has the requirements listed in a more simplistic manner; you'll notice that most items do not have a caster level requirement.

"Summon" Familiar: A new patch was made by you guys recently that allows a wizard/sorcerer to call their familiar out of their pack and into the party. I was reading that the wizard/sorcerer suffers one point of Con loss if their familiar dies: this is incorrect; a wizard/sorcerer suffers 100/level xp loss when their familiar dies, or 200/level xp loss if they fail a Fort save (DC 15).

Animal Companions: I dislike that you cannot control the animal companions in battle (though this isn't against the rules, but if someone could fix it like they were able to fix the called familiar's control, that would be great). One part of the animal companions that would be great if it could be fixed is the fact that they do not seem to gain feats as they gain HD; animals in 3.5 gain feats at 3rd, 6th, 9th ... HD, and those feats should be selectable by the Druid/Ranger in question.

Though I come with complaints, I do have to thank you all for all the work you've done. I actually couldn't play the game at all until I downloaded your 4.0.0 patch/fix. Thanks.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Ok let me try to explain a few things...

Small weapons - small characters get a -1 to damage rolls anyway, due to the ability point redistribution incured by thier race (-2 str +2 dex (halfling) or +2 con (gnome), there are a few other finesse options for small characters (halfling saingham, tanto and kukri, - I think, there may be more) and I've requested that the finessabillity of small sized rapiers be fixed for small characters (currently it's a tiny weapon to make use of finesse).

Item crafting - I'm sure this has been discussed before, My (3.0) rule books state the item's caster level is a requirement for crafting. The general consensus of the comunity is leave it as it is for now.

Familiar summoning - Hmmm, that's not what it say's in my rule book, but i'll look it up on the SRD (prepare for an edit).

Animal companions - unlike the familiar summoning ablity (which ToEE treats as a spell - which can be manipulated easilly), the Animal companion ability is hard coded (and much more difficult to change without breaking something else, or the whole game).

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

This was errated in 3.0 and again in 3.5. As it has been discussed before, I don't feel like hunting down the various cites.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You are absolutely right about it being XP lost and not CON. Looks like I will have to change some code.

5. xeviattranion

xeviattranion Member

Thanks! Oh, and is the year and a day wait for summoning a new familiar in your code? If it is, I don't think I'd ever send one into combat, because it would suck to loose it.

6. Allyx

Not exactly, when the familiar dies, it destroys the item that is used to create it, Troika coded the year and a day code themselves.

7. xeviattranion

xeviattranion Member

When I say "summon familiar", I'm refering to the act of calling one into existance in the first place; I wonder why they coded the year and a day when they didn't make a way to call them out of your pack.

Oh well, thanks for all the hard work.

8. Allyx

I guess they coded it to discourage you from switching familiars every 5 minutes? It is by the rules anyway so I don't think you'll see many complaint's about that here (D&D rules lawyers - the only kind of Lawful Good Lawyer there is ;)).

9. xeviattranion

xeviattranion Member

Ah yes, I forgot that you could dismiss the familiar. Never would do that myself, so I didn't think to check for it.

10. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I didn't know that in 3.5 familiars just popped into existence. Or is this just in ToEE?

11. ecliptic

ecliptic Member

Dismissing a familiar causes experience loss the same way as if it dies.

Our Host!