A couple of DnD integration questions...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Feb 7, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

OK, first, Will-o-the-Wisps:

1. Why doesn't Magic Missile affect them, like the description says it should? Is this because to make them immune to ALL other spells, they had to be given the 100 SR? And someone couldn't figure in an exception?

2. I noticed that they have "slam" attacks, but that the negative modifier for thier strength is equal to their dmg- is this how ToEE runs Touch attacks? Is that needed to "hit" with their electrical damage?

3. Why was I able to succeed with a Vampiric touch on one? The breakdown said my roll of 27 overcame their 100 SR!!

Next, the spell Phantasmal Killer:

It seems that the 3d6 "save" dmg is not working for my Sorcerer. I was pretty sure that on a previous game it had. But not on my new Sorc. Also, I have never succeeded in killing anyone with it using my new Sorc, so I have "dudded" completely on about 5 attempts with that spell, where in my last game my Sorc killed quite a few times with it. And damaged a few more times.

One thing to note- on this game I have accidently used a Quick Save, and I have read that could mess up your game after that, could this be the problem? I used the Quick Save before getting that spell. I have not been using the Quick Save to play after that one time, but could it still have messed up my game?

Also, since the Quicksave cannot be deleted, is that going to mess up any future games I play? Will I have to reload the entire ToEE with patches and mods and all, and lose my other saved games, to get rid of that ONE Quick Save?

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

You should be able to just save over the quick-save slot with a full save.

As for the Will-o-the-Wisps, I don't think there's any way to make something completely immune to magic, let alone add exceptions. The SR 100 was a kludge to try to simulate their magic immunity.

In my protos overhaul, I removed the SR and just gave them immunity to everything the engine allows, which means a bunch of other stuff besides magic missile will slip through, I'm sure, but at least you don't have to stand there for half an hour while your PCs miss their ultra-high AC.

I honestly don't know how to get the engine to perform a touch attack. You can set a creature's specific to hit bonus and damage for individual unarmed attacks (the engine automatically processes armed attacks) but AFAIK you can't specify anything as a touch attack unless it's a spell. (Which is why the Frog Tongues are handled like spells.)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Three words for those vile little sparks:

RAY OF CLUMSINESS.

(O and spell penetration etc ;))

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

Now, you see, I never really have much trouble hitting them. And they have so few hit points that my fighters kill them rather quickly- I have more trouble with Trolls.

But I think theirAC should be higher- what is it, a 29 now? The old Will-oWisps had a -8, which, under 2nd ed rules and abilities, was like a GOD. They should have around a 36-40 AC, in my opinion. :) Make 'em HARD to hit. (I mean, really- a good 8th level fighter with wpn focus and specialization, a little magic weapon, and STR enhancement items, with the aid of a bard's Inspire Courage- or even Heroism, is gonna have about a +20 to +22 "To Hit". At a 29 AC those poor blighters are gonna be hit over 50% of the time and dead in about 2 hits each- and they only do about 2-12 hp of dmg when they hit- it is a slaughter! Give them a 36 AC and make it a bit interesting... "Liv, Oh LiiiiiiV!!" Where's the spirit of a modder who wants to make it HARD when you need it?) :)

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Any comment on Phantasmal Killer y'all?

6. Thurbane

Thurbane Member

I have found that Phantasmal Killer is very "hit and miss" - someonetimes it inflicts damage on a successful save, others not. Most annoying.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  7. Moosehead

Moosehead Rubber nipple

am i the only one who's never been able to take down the wisps and just sneak past em instead?

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Well, except the fact that while PCs were limited to -10, monsters could go higher. Great Wyrm Red Dragons were -12, I believe.

Plus, Will-'o-Wisps are CR 6. An 8th level party should be able to handle them easily.

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Maybe....

Those things were never really more than batting practice for any groups I've ever had.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

In AD&D 2ED, when something has a -8 AC it usually means magic spells are needed [or maybe are required - depends on the party] to kill it, especially when there is more than one of them.

Our Host!