Breaking the 10 level barrier

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by chytah, Oct 9, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. chytah

chytah Member

'eys everyone,

are there any ways to break the xp limit?

i notice that one of the .mes files had exp specs for up to something like 50 levels (can that even happen in 3.5?)

tho it would make the game a tad boring, at least until someone comes up with extreme mod,
    would like to just mess around with it

can anyone help?

2. Peregrin

Peregrin Member

Breaking the level 10 Barrier

Frankly given the way that the game awards experience based on the Challange rating of Creatures by your character Level, and the fixed length of the game I would think that levels above 10 would be all but impossible. That aside from coding higher than Level 5 spells for casters and redoing feats and enchantment limits. I really think that "this game" should not have levels higher than 10, though I would like to see them use this engine after they have stomped all the bugs to make other modules that may support higher levels :roll:

3. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

yeah, basically what that guy said

yeah if you wanted to go higher than 10 you'd have to create all the original content yourself as troika did nott code any of ... cus they knew tthey didn' have to go past 10 (for now). I'm hoping they do a new (original) module witth more roleplaying. now that will take a while. see, now the problem here is that Troika used 2D stills for backdrops, tthey take a long time to create. the Beuty of NWN is that everything is the tilesets, so you get much more generic worlds, but people can pump out new and original stories, character interaction and quests (which is really tthe heart of a good CRPG) faster, easier, more efficiently. Now if only someone would make a game where you could create your own tilesets easily that would be something...

4. Joviex

Joviex Member

Re: yeah, basically what that guy said

The backdrops are 3D, then just rendered off as 2d. So I am sure they have a stock library of objects they can easily shift around to make new maps quickly.

I have hopes of making new modules with JaDE. There are only 3 file formats left for me to really crack into. The MOB and SEC files being at the top of the list. Those would, on first glance, look like the stuff for map collisions and paths.

5. rex_blade

cool, maybe you can figure out why the pathfinding sucks

6. Joviex

Joviex Member

Well, the actual paths maybe in that code, but I seriously doubt the actual AI code for pathfinding is. That would most likely be hardcoded, as I have yet to find any in the script files.

There are various flags for the NPC's to use during the game in the protos tab file, however, these are just indicators, like hints, for the way the NPC should behave.

Unless Troika wants to give me some source code, don't hang a shingle on the pathfinding itself changing.

7. AirBreather

AirBreather Member

exp limits...

Re: original message/leveling stuff/etc.

I know it would be a major - possibly even impossible - to mod in new levels, but how about raising the xp limit of post-lvl 10?

By that I mean... After lvl 10, the max exp a player char can get is 54999 (I think); would it be possible to raise this number MUCH higher, to give crafters more xp to work with?

8. rex_blade

Re: exp limits...

Yeah it probably would eb ncie to see how much XP your character actually has earned beyond the level 10... but i really can't see any practical reason for doing it.

9. AirBreather

AirBreather Member

Re: exp limits...

Thats all. :D

...and a ego thing, of course...

10. rex_blade

ohhhh i see, for cheating, gotcha ;-)

11. AirBreather

AirBreather Member

Meh.

As of now, there is only 9999 max exp at level 10 for a crafter to utilize... Instead of using it, getting more exp, crafting, getting more exp, etc - it would be _so_ much easier if there was a higher value...

Cheating? Meh. :p

12. jbrians

jbrians Member

Re: Re: exp limits...

And it could theoretically enable you to have a level 20 character as long as they didn't have more than 10 in a single class...?

13. AirBreather

AirBreather Member

Nooo....

The whole different levels/gaining/etc is another thing entirely.

Currently: after level 10, the max xp is 54999. This gives crafters 9999 exp to work with.

Suggested: after level 10, the max xp (to next level) should be INSANELY high. This gives the ability to store up massive amounts of xp for crafting sessions.

This does NOT give the PC/NPC/etc any extra levels, abilities, etc... Just a bigger exp "gap" between level 10 and the unattainable lvl 11.

Meh.

14. rex_blade

somehow i think that would unbalance crafting a tad...

15. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

Actually you should have 54999 xp available to craft with. If you go below the experience needed for level 10 iirc the engine won't do anything like de-level you. So theoretically (as in I haven't tried it myself) you should be able to craft your way back to 0 xp just for the fun of it.

Our Host!