Quick Question: Fleeing Combat

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Yiren, Dec 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Yiren

Yiren Traveller

How does one "flee combat"? I tried to make a character "flee combat" under various conditions, but always get an "invalid action". For instance, I tried to get a character with full movement left & who was not in anyone's threat zone to flee, but failed. Please advise. Thanks.

Yiren.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  2. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I think it first has to be realllly far away from any enemy. I have never succesfully done it. I think it is just refering to the "flee" move action which basically uses up your entire turn to move without allowing an enemy an attack of opportunity (or something like that), but I am not sure if its implemented that way.

I think there is a way to flee combat though, i think it happens if you are far enough from opponents and just end the turn it will end combat.

3. Ninja-to

Ninja-to Member

I've been having the same problem. It used to work before. The only difference is the c08 patch is in my system now, and I wasn't playing Ironman before when it worked.

'Withdraw' lets you run away from enemies, but Flee lets you escape the encounter (or it did until I now constantly get 'invalid' errors. I think you also have to be at the edge of the map to get it to work, but I haven't been able to do that recently.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Flee Encounter has only worked for me when the party has been near a door, stairway or ladder that changes the map you are on when you access it. It does't work outdoors.

5. Yiren

Yiren Traveller

Thanks, all.

'Withdraw' & 'Run' are the other two (separate) options. It allows quick movement away, but isn't the same as getting out of a 'combat' situation.

I'll try 'Flee' near a portal and see if it works. I've done some more testing. Outdoors (& anywhere), combat stops if the opposing parties lose line of sight. That means you need to run far away and use things like Grease and Summons to delay the pursuers.

Yiren.

6. Anstil

Anstil Hobgoblin Raider

If you are in a dsparate need to flee and can't get away you could always open the command consule and use the game fade teleport command to get back to Hommlet. This command also works if the game is hanging during an AoO with Scather.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

'Flee Combat' works if you have descended to an area by way of some stairs. It takes you back to the previous level (or area from which you descended). But only, I think, if you haven't saved in the meantime. This is a known method of escaping the 'pit' at the base of the spiral staircase that drops the party from the Temple's ground floor straight to level two...the domain of some blow-hards.

8. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

I thought "flee combat" only worked if you were indoors, and only if it brought you to another indoor area.

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Perhaps a test is in order...? Standby...

Test results edit: It works indoors or out; up or down; through doors, too. Any place there is a blue symbol for ladders & doors. It also worked regardless of being in 'combat mode' (c key) or not. I tested in the burnt farm house / tower tunnel / secret entrance to level 3 areas...all worked fine. But, I didn't test the 'saving' part...:(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
Our Host!