Burne and his assistant

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by kellinjar, Nov 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. kellinjar

kellinjar Member

When I lasted played ToEE long ago there was a mod for Burne's assistant that enabled her to sell all the wizard scrolls. I noticed this isn't present in 4.0, but that Burne does seem to have a lot more scrolls than I remember him having before. Was this done as some sort of compromise between those two things, and I would assume using that mod would break the new dialogue that seems to exist in getting her to come with you?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I remember u! Hasn't been that long since u were here :)

Anyone remember this mod? It does ring a bell... and yes, it doubtless would break the new dialogue. For memory there was some discussion about allowing the sale of all wizard scrolls as u suggest, I don't think there was a consensus.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

And, I keep seeing Teds plane [a 767 sized passenger jet] coming in for landings at TPA Int'l airport. It's got your name written on it in big letters "Ted".

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well I ran my presonal airline through my personal search engine, askted.com.au, and it didn't come up, so i haven't heard of it sorry.

5. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Yes, I also remember this mod. It was posted by one DeeKayEx at the Atari boards, who has not been seen in some years, and whose apparent final post suggested that anyone who was interested in using anything he wrote was welcome to it.

About a month ago, shortly before Co8 4.0 was released, I dusted off this mod and posted a newer version of it in this thread. The version that you will find there will NOT be compatible with ShiningTed's Playful NPCs 1.3, since it modifies Pishella's dialogue.

At the time that Co8 4.0 was being packaged for release, it was decided that this mod would not be a part of it. Since the scrolls were available by dialogue option, they were essentially unlimited, and as such, allowed the player to have what amounts to an infinitely charged wand of any given spell. Since the only limiting factor is gold, which is certainly not in short supply, this is a bad thing.

As it stood, there were a few bugs with it. Since the spells were given by dialogue, they were not identified (although I believe I would be able to fix this now, having looked at Black Jay's method for identifying the items he trades for his ring). In addition, the scroll pricing was rather arbitrary. Finally, not all spells were available, and Darmagon was in the process of making new ones.

All things considered, I decided to scrap the project. With a bit of judicious cutting and pasting with your favorite text editor, you should be able to modify Pishella's new dialogue using the posted mod as a base. If you were interested in doing so, and could solve some of the problems inherent in the mod, you are welcome to pick up where I left off.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

7. kellinjar

kellinjar Member

Yes one of the things I did with that mod when I used it long ago was go through and edit it so that the prices matched those in the actual rule book for each spell, that was pretty much the extent of any modding I ever did with the game though :) I suppose as long as most spells make themselves available at a reasonable time its not a bad thing.

Our Host!