Thieves pickpocket guide to TOEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by t0paz, Sep 1, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. t0paz

t0paz Member

I was looking at the walkthroughs etc. and I havent come across anything like this

Has anyone bothered to write one?

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Lord Spike's compleat gyde to picking ye olde pockets:

1. Right-click on your rogue & hold down the button;
    2. Drag the radial menu onto the target;
    3. Use the menu to select 'sleight of hand'.

With any luck /skill, you will be successful in relieving them of pocketed items...or you could be labeled a thief otherwise...and remember:

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll take that wager! <reaches for gloves>

4. t0paz

t0paz Member

Once again I have been misunderstood...oh well.

Let me clarify. Has anyone written a list of what items you can pickpocket off what npcs?

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

There is a thread on picking pockets here. The gist of it seemed to be that other than some gold and Mona's Orb, there really isn't much you can pickpocket off of people. For starter, I think you can only pickpocket inventory items, not equiped items.

"Dang, where did my +3 sword go? I know I had it in my hand just before that guy bumped into me."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  6. Da_Ediot

Da_Ediot Member

Well, I don't know if it is Liv's mod or not but I love to have my Rogue PP. I mostly hit the merchants. But I get lots of stuff. All 4 money, items and stuff. It seems mostly random. One thing I have discovered is if I sell some items to a merchant, I can then steal them right back again. If it is something like the Moneychanger in Homlett, I can sell gems, then steal them back and often get more back then I first sold to him, but once I have stolen it, that is the amount I can get again if I sell them back to him again. Just for gits and shiggles, I did this like 5 or 6 times. I have since gone back to before I did that and only do it once for gameplay reasons. No merchant would fail to recongnize something he just purchased a second time. But if I leave for a couple days and come back, then it seems alright to do it again. :>
    Also, there seems to be a limit to how much each person has. After so many items taken, all I get is failed attempts until I trigger a battle. It also seems if I come back later, I can steal new stuff again. Makes sense. :rock:

I hope this answers your question.

And if it is Liv's doing. All I have to say is "Awesome!"

7. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

Hill Giants have large rocks that can be stolen, although they are too large to wield. Livonya was going to make the giants actually throw them in the 2.0 release.

8. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

It's not all Liv's doing actually. When I first played this game back when it was new and had 0 patches, I used to try and pickpocket everything left and right. Sure most of the time there was nothing, but you can get some nice pieces of treasure from important NPC's. If I recall correctly Black Jay has some nice magical items, Jaroo and the Jeweler also have some decent treasure. Burne has some scrolls, etc. Pick Pockets also works with NPC's who have locked treasure chests. If your skill is high enough and you manage to steal the key, you can 'sneak' over to the chest, open it, take its contents, and the guy will never know it (Jaroo's chest for example). In the end, if you don't wanna run around and kill everything in sight for its treasure,try picking their pockets...just remember to save beforehand...I don't know what everyone has, but the important NPC's usually have something.

9. Lord_Spike

If you do like he says, then perhaps YOU can create a thread discussing what is to be found a-pocket-picking, there, tOpaz.

10. Da_Ediot

Da_Ediot Member

Off the moneylender in Homlett I have always gotten money, a magic +1 dagger, his key and some jems.
    I don't remember everything I got off of Black Jay but I did get his chain boots once. :> That was worth a good laugh. Reminded me of so many gaming sessions.
    Off Burne, I get scrolls, money, some random gems, a +1 dagger (I think) and a wand of magic missles and a chime of opening. (The scrolls are random and don't come out of his sale list). That is about all I remember right now. I am going back through again from before the moathouse.

11. Shiningted

Its not exactly role-playing to be able to knick boots of people's feet, but I remember someone saying Dala stole the Elven boots off them once, so what goes around...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Black jay always stands barefoot after I'm done taking to him (I always swap the boots for that ring of his). Never seen him wear chain boots though.

13. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

I'm pretty sure you can't steal anything actually equipped on the NPC. Just what he holds in his inventory, I guess he must be hiding some chain boots in his pants...

14. Lord_Spike

Dala: Hey, Cujo...is that a Smyth & Westrealm in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

:heart:

15. Shiningted

Cujo: Actually, its my chain boots - doesn't everyone keep them in their pants?

(They do chafe, though)

Our Host!