Identify Spell, Was this fixed?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by chicken-lips, Oct 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. chicken-lips

chicken-lips Member

Was there any adjustments made to the identify spell? As it is now there is no reason to take identify as it cost the same from a vendor as it does to cast the spell?

Da-lips

2. Spoon

Spoon Member

Two reasons to take identify:
    ID items without having to run all the way back to town.
    Making identify wands (very useful).

However, to answer your question... no, I don't think they touched the identify spell since the 100gp cost is the way it works in pnp.

3. chicken-lips

chicken-lips Member

identify wand

If you have an Identify wand, does it still cost 100gp when casting the spell from the wand?

4. obryn

obryn Member

It should. It should cost 100gp extra for a scroll of Identify and 5000 gp extra for a wand of identify, per the 3.5 (and 3.0) SRD.

These costs are paid at item creation, not casting.

-O

5. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

Right now, wand of identify only costs 375gp and 30 exp to make.

6. Glamis

Glamis Member

I think the cheap cost for the wand should remain.

In PnP D&D you do not find anywhere near the amount of magic items that you find in ToEE (or any CRPG).

PnP identify rules do not mesh well with a CRPG because you simply need to identify so much more loot.

7. chicken-lips

chicken-lips Member

Can someone

Can someone tell me how I might be able to edit it so that identify doesn't charge any money?

8. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

Re: Can someone

Cursory look over reveals nothing.

Partsys1.tab has in entry for Identify, but I don't know what the columns do - no "100" for me to just get rid of though.

The script for it (Spell238 - Identify.py) doesn't have anything really of use either. It sets a flag (OIF_IDENTIFIED) on the object, and might take your 100 gold there. Don't know where that references though.

On an interesting note, read magic looks to do the exact same thing as identify in the script (setting OIF_IDENTIFIED) - anyone tried casting read magic on their unidentified random loot, or is it just for scrolls (and Chris Woods' potions)?

9. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Yes, and that doesn't work - because the item type isn't accepted. Check the item triggers and see what they reference.

Take this for example:
    if target.is_category_type( mc_type_undead )

That would refer to undead characters.

if target_item.obj.type == obj_t_weapon
    That's from the Magic Weapon spell and it only takes exception to weapons and nothing else for the spell.

Do you know what I'm getting at? The Item type for 'scrolls' (i.e. in read magic) is different than the item type for weapons or anything else - so you can't identify a weapon with read magic though you can identify a scroll with identify because it is not set to make any 'exceptions'.

10. azari

azari Member

Re: Can someone

I wondered about this too.
    It appears that if you change the
    "Component: GP 100" line in
    TOEE3\rules\spells\238 - Identify.txt to a different value (once dumping the modified file in the appropriate directory) it'll use that instead. I set it to 1, haven't tried deleting the line altogether but presumably setting it to 0 works just as well as 1.

Having the spell cost the same as vendor identification just made no sense to me (I mean a vendor doing something for cost price? *grin*) - conformance to 3.5 rules or not.

11. Elof

Elof Member

I think you guys should really think about changing this to cost nothing , whats the point at the moment of taking idenitify as a spell , i didnt realise it was costing me gold to cast this till it was to late and i was broke .

Im not sure what the 3.5 rules are on this but a spell is a spell why does it cost each time you cast it ?

12. obryn

obryn Member

Identify has cost boatloads of money to cast since the early days of D&D. I think back in 1st and 2nd edition, it cost a 100gp component AND you had to purify the item for a week.

3rd edition lowered the prep/casting time to 8 hours but kept the expensive material component. I've used it in my PnP game and have had no problems. Then again, I also freely identify +1 swords, armors, and the like.

I know it's annoying in a CRPG, but remember that ToEE's goal is to come as close to 3.5e D&D as possible.

-O

13. chicken-lips

chicken-lips Member

Re: Re: Can someone

hmmm...When I open the TOEE dat file in jade I am missing that sub-directory. Am I opening the wrong file?

toee.dat right?

14. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

ToEE3.DAT is what you are looking for.

15. chicken-lips

chicken-lips Member

ok...found it...

ok, found it....How do you save though? Do it save adjustments when you close?

Also, has anyone found where the system checks for attacks of opportunity? The whole drinking a potion in combat not provoking an AOE bugs the crap outta me....

Our Host!