[PROJECt] Realistic Masterwork Items

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sol Invictus, Oct 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Halk

Halk Member

It's not necessary to have evil routes for all of the quests I've decided.

Lawful good, neutral and evil characters would do those quests. (Can you tell I like lawful evil? :p)

Neutral too, as long as they didn't expect them to be as long. Or neutral good might do them anyway.

Chaotic evil would try to force the characters in to doing it.

Chaotic good would get frustrated and demand that it's done, but not threaten, and try to help if it was in their way, but they wouldn't really be that interested.

Chaotic neutral characters might do either, but like the other chaotics they wouldn't be too enthralled with getting involved.

If/when I flesh them out I'll make sure that all party alignments have appropriate choices.

But I'm no fan of having a solution for everybody. Chaotic characters I'd expect to be in Nulb shaking people down about the temple by now, while the lawfuls stayed behind to get prepared., or felt they couldn't leave until they sorted things out for the better.

2. Halk

Halk Member

Ok, I've started fleshing these ideas out.

Deciding on quest names and short descriptions, then will decide on how the quests can and can't be completed and what pre-requisites they need.

Following that I'll decide on the actual dialog.

3. Halk

Halk Member

Completely fleshed out.

Pseudo dialog done.

It needs polishing off a little.

But essentially it's done, I just need to get somebody to agree to do it, and I'll show them the notepad file, they can look over it and if they agree they like it, I'll polish it off and make the dialogue fit the characters that are saying it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  4. Glamis

Glamis Member

Completely fleshed out in 80 minutes?

I don't mean to be critical or presumptuous, but from a player perspective I'm hoping for quests and dialogue that are a little more involved than 80 minutes of work ;).

A lot of the quests in this game are already pretty weak. I would like to see some interesting stuff that is well throught out, intricately planned, and topped off with good creative writing. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  5. Halk

Halk Member

Not completely done :)

Comepletely fleshed out.

The difference being I haven't gone through all the NPCs to see how they speak and to make sure my dialogue follows what they say.

I haven't checked through to make sure that all the talkie skills are used evenly.

But 80 minutes is quite a long time to brainstorm and scribble down notes, which is essentially what I have done.

There will no doubt be more options added to them, but essentially they are done, if that makes sense?

Happy to ICQ the notepad file, or DCC it on IRC, it's way too large to post in a message here, and aside from that, it'd just spoil it all.

6. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

I like the idea of having the MW not be available until after clearing moathouse. IT add some story to hommlett, more feeling of atmospher and who would be buying it before anyway :). Also such a thing would be very simple to impliment.

I also like the idea of having the leatherworker, and tailor sell their stuff rather than the blacksmith selling it all, but I doubt I'd notice since all I buy is metal :D

7. Shin

Shin Established Member

Time to contribute...

My idea is being that, the one who will be making MW would be Otis. And let's put some small quests for it.

Otis, a former adventurer, decided he was too old for action and noticed that his family missed him. So he comes back to his home, and becomes a partner/rival blacksmith of this small peaceful town. His experience and skill allows him to craft MW items on demand. (1 per day/week/month...)

Here's how it would work.

1. PC has to gain his trust. 2 ways, tell him about his apprentice, or have Elmo in the party.

2. If he likes the group, he joins the group untill he gets x amount of wealth.

3. Once he reaches that amount, he tells the group that he wants to retire and asks Elmo to come with him, depending on PC's diplomacy, decision or anything, Elmo might leave with him or not.

4. Since that event, at the first arrival at his birth town, he (and maybe Elmo) leaves the group. Otis gives away his magic armor and sword as a farewell gift to the group.

5. He becomes a new blacksmith of the town and will grant you Masterwork pieces.

Possbile tweak : Otis founds his shop/home in Moathouse. Somehow, he still despises his homeplace, and, yadda yadda...

Errrm. That's all folks. :)

8. Obex

Obex Member

Slightly off topic from the 'when are they available' idea, my question concerns the homlett blacksmith dialog implementation. Why was it done via dialog, rather than add the items directly to the shop inventory (InvenSource.mes)? No offence intended, but i dont really care for the dialog shopping format. Id like to change this, but i thought i find out why it ws done this way by the community before i started messing with things.

I think that a quest to complete before the availability of mw items is silly. How about less hoop jumping and more non-linearity in games?

In pnp 3.5, the only obstacles to equiping yourself in mw items are 1. price, 2. availibility.
    As for price, the cost is high enough that low level parties cant really afford to own many mw items anyway. If a low level party manages to scrape together enough cash during the hours and hours of fetch-and-carry villiage quests, then i say more power to them.
    If game balance is the issue, then availibility should be the key. Why not make the availibility of mw items in homlett limited to the most basic or standard items. the blacksmith could carry mw a longsword, a shortsword, and one suit of mw chainmail, for example. mw leather armor at the leatherworker, a mw wooden shield from the woodworker guy, etc. For the other mw items, you would have to go to nulb.

9. Ger

Ger Member

I'm new to Co8 forums, but I have to agree -what is the problem with having the Homlett smithy sell them? If nothing else, Otis can be taken out of the merchant business and the smithy may be the only option. And a simple +1 to attack rating is hardly unbalancing -especially when, as noted, new parties cannot afford more than 1 or 2.

Just my opinion.

I would really like it if clothing and helms came as masterwork and/or magical and/or craftable - but I would also be thrilled if Circlets prevented cloak hoods from covering up the characters heads.

10. Zeugma

Zeugma Member

Masterwork Light Crossbow is a Heavy Item?

I've changed Masterwork Light Crossbow to 'medium' as it corresponds to the regular light crossbow. Imagine my shock to buy 3 Masterwork Crossbows only to find the Gnomes and Halfling's couldn't wield them due to size. So, just another thing to add to the list of little things to fix.

I think you folks at Co8 are doing a great job in taking a very buggy game and making it much more enjoyable.

11. Gastrian

Gastrian Member

I'm not sure how hard it would be to encode but what about giving the smiths a weak selection of mastercrafter weapons like longswords, shortswords, basic armour, etc. And then placing more exotic and powerful mastercrafted weapons like sycthes, bastardswords, plate, steel shields, etc. on the numerous captains and lieutennants dotted around the game.

That way you have to earn your better weapons without going through tedious quests and you'd have to be of a sufficient level to beat these characters anyway so it wouldn't unbalance the game early on.

Our Host!