On Ioun Stones...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by jog, Oct 1, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Chris Woods

Chris Woods Member

According to the DMG the player can craft Ioun Stones, and the only requirment is "Craft Misc Magic"

The only deviation from 3.5 Cannon I made was to allow them craftable at 10th level rather then 12th and to eliminate the more powerful ones. If I make an Ioun type stone using the rules rather then refer to the description provided, I can make it at 3rd Caster level.

Chris Woods

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  2. juv3nal

juv3nal Member

with regard to the issue of the stones taking up the space of something else, is there a way to abuse the stackable bracers bug to get around this?

3. Chris Woods

Chris Woods Member

That's a really creative idea. I tried it out, but unfortunatly only the most recent bracer in the "list" of bracers equipped gets applied, the rest are just existing in some null-inventory space.

Good idea, however.

Chris Woods

4. jog

jog Member

Yep, seems like my D&D knowledge is really outdated, in AD&D (FR) the person with the most Ioun stones was Larloch, Level 46 Mage, Lich, former Sorcerer King of Netheril. 25 Ioun Stones are circling around his head. Seems like in 3.5 every average Munchkin Party has more than that.

Even if it sounds like I don't know what I want... If it's possible by the rules to allow a Level 3 Caster to make the minor Ioun stones, then do it in the game, either that or let the player buy them. To craft the major Ioun stones, the player still should have Level10, maybe even have a special Feat.

5. malichai

malichai Member

Jog-

No offense... but you're seriously out of touch with 3.0/3.5 D&D. If you want to write up a mod for ToEE to incorporate some weird house rules you want to put in place for creating magic items then knock yourself out! Perhaps you should take a look at the SRD to get a grasp of how creating magic items works in the game. If you head to WoTC website you can look over both the DMG and the PhB.

I would like to say how impressed I've been with the work Chris has done with adding magic items in this official fix without straying from the core D&D books. The day he figures out how to manipulate movement rates, I'm going to dance for joy! Even more than that, if he ever decides to release a guide on how to create your own magic items I'll be all over that!

-Malichai

6. peterb

peterb Member

In the original source material for ioun stones (Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" novels), ioun stones were indeed rare artifacts from the most distant end of the universe. They could not be created (or destroyed), and wizards fought mighty wars to obtain and control them.

I don't care what the DMG says. Letting a weenie third-level hedge wizard create them seems wrong.

7. malichai

malichai Member

Well Peter, sounds like you should send WoTC some hate mail explaining your absolute outrage with how they handle the creation of Ioun stones! Maybe you and jog can get together to write a mod where you correct this injustice in the game.

8. Glamis

Glamis Member

Well this is a 3.5 D&D game so those are the rules we're going with.

I have no idea why some people are up in arms about this.

Why is a +1 to stat Ioun stone some amazing artifact when +6 to Constitution Amulets and +6 to strength Gauntlets are already craftable?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  9. malichai

malichai Member

Well Glamis, a whole bunch of people aren't really up in arms, it's just 2, one of whom seems to be a Jack Vance fan (which is forgivable, as Jack Vance is fantastic, Green Magic is one of my favorite stories ever), and the other is a strange AD&D FR junkie, who doesn't want to try the new smack.

10. Glamis

Glamis Member

True, malichai.

I changed "so many" to "some" in my post. :)

Our Host!