Add over-5-PC crack to new release . . . yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Mar 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. halarious

halarious Member

i like to play with 6,

so, (bump)

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

With Liv1.5 the only npc's worthwhile are Elmo, Burne, and Otis. If you want to avoid the npc looting thing, then go with just pc's. Burne really soaks up the loot, but 4 fireball, 2 icestorm, plus level 8. He pretty much earns his pay, especially in the temple. The more people you have slows the level-up with the xp division. The patch is good. It gives you some options that didn't come with the game.

3. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I red all the posts and I agree with wizgeorge. Just to know, is it possible to make all NPC to loot only moneys? It would be in line with the fact that they will certainly get better equipment and magic stuff from the party, so looting items, gems & jewels or not-usable magic gear would be disabled. Anyway, for me the most important thing is that liv mods works first, and then to allow a player the possibility to take as many PC that he wants.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'm playing Liv1.5 and 6pc's. I wanted a 2nd wizard that's not an npc. The pc count patch lets me do that. It's a good option and everything is running fine so far. It's outside the design of the game, but so are a lot of other things. I don't have a problem with it being included in any upcoming mod.

5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well melany dosent take anything. one of the things i love about her and she makes a good sorceroress. the only starting equipment she wont get rid of is her boots, i can live with that. i use 6 pc's myself since there arent any good cleric npc's in the game and most of the other npc's are muscle or rouges and i dont need more of either.

6. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

I use either 6 Pc's with Meleny or 7 pc's without. However, for me, it dosen't matter if you add the over 5 pc fix or not, as I can change it myself.

7. halarious

halarious Member

i must bump this, for bumping is my life!

8. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

any npc can be recreated as a pc... stats, name, voice, and profession... but the PC doesn't have the dialogue options, the bugs and problems, and the looting issues that come with npcs.
    But none the less, npcs can be fun.

I am glad this issue was solved, and quite a good solution too. :)

btw, dulcan, could you share your source for the exe patcher you made with others? this way if your HDD ever crashes or you ever go inactive or whatever, and a correction/change/addition is desired for this specific item, then it could be made. (for example, if the check to see if you already have a full party location could be found, the thing could be made to patch them both together to match)

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  9. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

There is no one golden "is the party full" location. If there was, we'd have a much easier time of this.

There is an "add pc to party" routine. That checks against the hard-coded value 5. There is an "add npc to party" routine. That checks against the hard-coded value of 3. There is an "add follower to party" routine. That checks against a hard-coded value of 3. There is a "followers_at_max" routine, that checks the current NPC count against a hard-coded value of 3.

The patcher patches hard-coded values 1, 2, and 4 out of the above list.

If I had the ability, I'd try to "catch" the crash from the party_pool() call in a debugger before it crashes, and figure out the why of that issue. It might be a hard-coded issue (filling an array of size 5 with values from 1 to the size of the party (with the max size patched above 5, for instance), or it might be something rather unrelated to the size but caused by it.

As for the patcher source, I'd be happy to post it; but I'm currently waiting for Exitium to drive-by again, and (hopefully) provide me with some upload abilities, so I can stop relying on Morpheus to do it for me. Once that's in place the latest patcher routine will be uploaded, and I'll give out source as well.

That said, it's not going to help people much. Basically all it does is use the information from the post on patching it "by hand", and have the computer do that automatically. Basically, it scans forward in the file to the first offset location as mentioned in the post, and reads 5 bytes into a buffer (the 5 bytes preceding the hard coded value). It compares them to the known values as mentioned in that post, and if they're right, reads byte 6 as the current "max pc count". It then repeats that process for max npc count and followers_at_max. Once the "write it back out" button is clicked, it simply moves back to the right offsets, and writes out those 6 bytes in each case again, to the spot(s) they came from originally. Not much black magic to be gained, I'm afraid.

-- dulcaoin

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  10. ailoutwar

ailoutwar Member

Hey all - new user here - Downloaded the PC Count patch, and inserted a 6th PC into my game. Now, whenever I go to the book to add/remove PCs, instant crash. I even did a whole new install, and the problem's still there. Maybe you can use it just once?

Email me if you have any ideas. Thanks mucho.

11. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

I remember this was a problem before but I thought it was fixed in the newest version of this of mod.

12. ailoutwar

ailoutwar Member

Wait, might have found a fix for it. One of my character files may have been causing the problem; think I modified stats too high or added an improper feat. Looks to be working good now.

13. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Include it bitte.

-EE

Our Host!